• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

While cool we were able to track down the plane that inspired the cover, it's actually kinda sad b/c I was amazed at the ability of Guardineer to design this cool ship ... and now, I know it was cribbed from a pic :(

I think Guardineer is an immense talent, but he certainly wasn't adverse to swiping.

wyeth_last_mohicans1919.jpg

1919 NC Wyeth illustration

action_8.jpg

Action Comics #8 (January 1939)

adventure19350415.jpg

Adventure (April 1935)

adventurecomics34.jpg

Adventure Comics #34 (January 1939)

While cool we were able to track down the plane that inspired the cover, it's actually kinda sad b/c I was amazed at the ability of Guardineer to design this cool ship ... and now, I know it was cribbed from a pic :(

I think Guardineer is an immense talent, but he certainly wasn't adverse to swiping.

action_8.jpg

adventure19350415.jpg

Adventure (April 1935)

adventurecomics34.jpg

there was a thread (maybe even in this thread) where we saw quite a few examples of this... imitation is the nicest form of flattery (unless copyrighted lol )

BZ...can you scan and post some books from your awesome collection :wishluck:

ones we haven't seen before...maybe some Catman comics (shrug)

BZ, I'd love to see a few Catman books also... (thumbs u

And...thanks for posting the interior shots from AMF 2/4 too. They were awesome!!! :headbang:

action_8.jpg

adventure19350415.jpg

Adventure (April 1935)

adventurecomics34.jpg

there was a thread (maybe even in this thread) where we saw quite a few examples of this... imitation is the nicest form of flattery (unless copyrighted lol )

Wait, that Pachederm on the Adventure #34 is a two tusker, so its obviously a completely different animal ;)

On a related aviation note, anyone else read the fantastic article about Frederick Blaskelee and his actual involvement with early aviation at the Hammond Curtiss company in Illustration 22? I might have mentioned it before but can't recall for sure.

:hi: Good article

I was looking for some more info on that beautifully designed 9th Bombardment Sq. searchlight insignia and found this image.

For those who aren't doing the additional research; Wikipedia had this interesting background about it. :)

Unit Emblem

The 9th Bomb Squadron's patch features 3 spotlights aiming skyward, as if searching for the bombers which are commencing their attack. One spotlight shines vertically, while the other two cross each other. This forms an IX, which is the Roman Numeral for 9.

200px-9th_Bomb_Squadron.jpg

actioncomics18.jpg

I was looking for some more info on that beautifully designed 9th Bombardment Sq. searchlight insignia and found this image.

For those who aren't doing the additional research; Wikipedia had this interesting background about it. :)

Unit Emblem

The 9th Bomb Squadron's patch features 3 spotlights aiming skyward, as if searching for the bombers which are commencing their attack. One spotlight shines vertically, while the other two cross each other. This forms an IX, which is the Roman Numeral for 9.

200px-9th_Bomb_Squadron.jpg

actioncomics18.jpg

Thanks BZ! That's just a wonderful piece of design.

action_8.jpg

adventure19350415.jpg

Adventure (April 1935)

adventurecomics34.jpg

A cover swipe is one thing, but I think most artists use some form of reference for what they draw whether it be a photo or something else. I lived with an artist and his prof. would always convey how important it would be to find the right reference source. These are some fantastic examples. I wonder how many more there are out there?

Rick, I remember seeing that thread as well. I distinctly remember the Action 8 and I think an Action 2 was found as well.

action_8.jpg

adventure19350415.jpg

Adventure (April 1935)

adventurecomics34.jpg

wow. I never knew those covers were swipes. :o

1932usarmyaircorp.jpg

Great catch, BZ! :applause:

Indeed! Did you run across the photo and realize that you had seen it somewhere before and made the connection quickly - or did it take awhile?

I'd always assumed Guardineer had used a photo or aviation pulp image as the inspiration for the Action cover; so a couple of years ago I spent an evening looking for a match, but I didn't find anything.

This morning I was following links, trying to research a completely different subject, when I ended up at a blog for fans of vintage clothing. There, someone had posted the Air Corp photo.

My finding it today was just a happy accident.

GREAT post!

I've always been curious about the airplane Fred Guardineer drew on the cover of Action Comics #18.

actioncomics18.jpg

Now I can stop wondering.

It's a Keystone B-3 Panther.

The photograph Guardineer used for reference is a U.S. Army Corp photo taken at March Field, California in 1932.

1932usarmyaircorp.jpg

Details about the 9th Bomb Squadron can be found here: Link

Man! That IS cool. :applause:

BZ...can you scan and post some books from your awesome collection :wishluck:

ones we haven't seen before...maybe some Catman comics

I only have a few Catman.

Here is a scan I posted on another occasion. (shrug)

Catman30GA.jpg

L.B. Cole

nice ... but warm up the old scanner and let us see the others :wishluck: