• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I really like Guardineer's art. It seems art deco to me. His westerns and crime comics are especially strange looking. Some artists, like Fuje, did more realistic art when the genre changed but he continued the same style. But I prefer that early science fiction art that he performed with Dan Hastings.

3083081026_cd8ebe9f8c_o.jpg

The Dan Hastings strip is one of my favorites, too.

The name in the wanted poster is Biro, kind of funny.

Must be an inside joke (I wonder if Charles had webbed feet? hm )

That is funny. I never noticed that before. lol

Was Biro in the comics biz in 1937 (when Guardineer drew that spread)? If so what was he doing?

Was Biro in the comics biz in 1937 (when Guardineer drew that spread)? If so what was he doing?

Yup. Biro worked for Centaur with early work in 1937 with his Foxy Grandpa feature but his work appeared even earlier in Wow, what a magazine in 1936. Born in 1911, he was 25 / 26 year-old.

Before that, Biro worked in early animation, including at the Fleischer studios. In fact, Al Fago recounts his working at Audio Productions as a tracer then an in-betweener and that's where he met Charles Biro circa 1933. Biro was at Fleischer as assistant animator (30 - 32) and animator / director (32 - 36). At some point he asked Gill Fox to do some work for him at the studios. A lot of comic guys went through Fleischer, esp. since they were working out of New York before moving to Florida.

I wonder if Schomburg used the pulp cover as his original inspiration for the Daring Mystery cover. They certainly are alike in composition.

The Daring Mystery is one of my all-time favorite comic book covers.

acegman1937.jpg

Ace G-Man Stories (November-December 1937)

daringmystery1.jpg

Daring Mystery Comics #1 (January 1940)

VERY COOL BZ! I love seeing the swipe sources. Schomburg had to have seen that one.

Yup. Biro worked for Centaur with early work in 1937 with his Foxy Grandpa feature but his work appeared even earlier in Wow, what a magazine in 1936. Born in 1911, he was 25 / 26 year-old.

Before that, Biro worked in early animation, including at the Fleischer studios. In fact, Al Fago recounts his working at Audio Productions as a tracer then an in-betweener and that's where he met Charles Biro circa 1933. Biro was at Fleischer as assistant animator (30 - 32) and animator / director (32 - 36). At some point he asked Gill Fox to do some work for him at the studios. A lot of comic guys went through Fleischer, esp. since they were working out of New York before moving to Florida.

Thanks Scrooge, but it doesn't appear from this brief bio that he was in a position to p i s s off creators (at the time Guardineer drew that spread) like he would be later at Lev Gleason as editor/art director.

I'm not sure that Guardineer is referring to the same Biro...

Thanks Scrooge, but it doesn't appear from this brief bio that he was in a position to p i s s off creators (at the time Guardineer drew that spread) like he would be later at Lev Gleason as editor/art director.

I'm not sure that Guardineer is referring to the same Biro...

I just thought it was a simple in-joke towards Biro. From what I read, Biro was quite a jovial guy, full of fun and energy and it would seem a definite jokester. Fago (?) I think recounted Biro driving down the road with him, hit the brakes, get to a car and take hubcaps for himself. Always ready to play it seemed.

From what I read, Biro was quite a jovial guy, full of fun and energy and it would seem a definite jokester. Fago (?) I think recounted Biro driving down the road with him, hit the brakes, get to a car and take hubcaps for himself. Always ready to play it seemed.

A case in point.

charlesbiro.jpg

4311416110_16fd158963_b.jpg

Biro's buddy, Bob Wood, used his name in this Presto Martin story from Silver Streak. Biro seemed to be doomed right from the start.

It's neat that you found that, BB. :applause:

Do you know if Biro ever returned the favor and named characters in his stories after other cartoonists?

There was some cool stuff in Silver Streak Comics.

Of course everyone remembers characters like Daredevil and The Claw, but how many remember Dickie Dean the Boy Inventor? lol

Here are a couple of pages from one of his zany adventures.

DickieDean1.jpg

dickiedean2.jpg

Edited by BangZoom