• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

C.L. Moore's first Jirel of Joiry story appeared in the October, 1934 issue of Weird Tales.

I think it is also Moore's first story to be featured on a cover.

weirdtales193410.jpg

Such a great cover. Probably one of my top two or three favorite Brundage covers. :cloud9:

And the colors are just incredible on this copy. What a gorgeous book!

Thanks for posting the CL Moore letter. (thumbs u

6776971703_e4db8d438a_z.jpg

If I remember correctly, the Abner illustrations in this are ghosted by Frazetta.

Frazetta did ghost Lil Abner but not sure which issues. Anyone have the reprint series? I think it identifies the Frazetta years. Did they cover the wedding? Did he do the Life cover?

bb

A quick search indicates that Frazetta ghosted from 1954 to 1961. The Life cover and wedding dated 1952.

Edited by BB-Gun

6776971703_e4db8d438a_z.jpg

If I remember correctly, the Abner illustrations in this are ghosted by Frazetta.

Several years back I attended a local estate auction with many, many vintage Life mags. The auction company had tied them up in bundles/stacks of about 30 issues each, but had used a green-tinted twine. What had been a beautiful VF copy of this issue was on top of one of the stacks. Unfortunately the green from the twine bled off onto the magazines. This cover was absolutely destroyed, with a huge green cross over the entire cover.

The auction was not a total loss however as I picked up a nice little box of 1940s Catholic Comics like Heroes All, for about $5.

The other "miss" at this auction was a pretty weird one too. Paid a couple bucks for a box of random old newspapers and let the nice lady next to me take the next one for just a couple bucks. As she dug through, way at the bottom were about two weeks worth of all the Ed Gein headlines. Gein was from a very small town, and this particular newspaper was the closest thing to being his "local" paper. Pretty grizzly stuff, but fascinating to see from a small-town local paper perspective.

I really like those large Life magazines with comic books characters on the cover. I have loaded up a few. They are hard to take care of but I guess we won't see this type of mag at the newsstand again.

6776971453_e6f6fb7214_z.jpg

Very nice. :applause:

Back in the 1960's and early 70's I used to collect every mention of comic books and comic strips that I found in newspapers and magazines.

Here is a TV Channels that was published the same week as your Life.

tvchannels.jpg

CLMooreLetter0001.jpg

CLMooreLetter0002.jpg

CLMooreLetter0003.jpg

Great letter. :applause:

Thanks for posting.

One of these days I'll have to break down and pay the interlibrary loan fees currently being charged by my local library so I can read The Collected Letters of Robert E. Howard.