• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Krigstein?

^^

The panels were from 87th Precinct (FC #1309).

Krigstein illustrated the entire comic.

Here is a sample of his work from the book.

87thprecinct1.jpg

87thprecinct2.jpg

87thprecinct3.jpg

One of my all-time favorite comics. I've only owned 2 copies in 35 years. There was a great critique of this issue in Squa Tront (I think...).

I still rue the day I sold the cover to Piracy 6. An amazing image... :sorry:

That's a gorgeous cover. :cry:

I was very happy the day this arrived. :cloud9:

Piracy6.jpg

Piracy6.jpg

Beautiful book, adam. :applause:

The colorist (Marie Severin?) deserves a large share of the credit for making that cover so memorable.

You are absolutely correct. Owning the original was difficult for me. It was my favorite Krigstein cover and one of my all-time favorite covers, but other than the doomed figure in the long boat, the original was an expanse of white with a huge circle (with a dot in the middle where a compass was used to draw it) and some wavy lines for water. Without the color it didn't evoke the feeling that the printed cover did. When I was made a VERY generous offer I decided to take it.

I still wish I owned it today, but when I start to think about it again, the feeling begins to wane.

You are absolutely correct. Owning the original was difficult for me. It was my favorite Krigstein cover and one of my all-time favorite covers, but other than the doomed figure in the long boat, the original was an expanse of white with a huge circle (with a dot in the middle where a compass was used to draw it) and some wavy lines for water. Without the color it didn't evoke the feeling that the printed cover did. When I was made a VERY generous offer I decided to take it.

I still wish I owned it today, but when I start to think about it again, the feeling begins to wane.

When the original art was designed to be "completed" by the colorist, it is usually less interesting than when the artist drew to please themselves with only the b&w image. I love that cover & Krigstein to death, but I don't think I would lose sleep over it compared to having sold one of his stories.

That's my cue...

The original serialization of "The Ship of Ishtar" was published in Argosy in 1924 and then was reprinted in 1938.

shipofishtar.jpg

November 8, 1924 / October 29, 1938

A lot of those classic stories were reprinted in the Murder Mystery Monthly series.

4474280773_54baaeb993_z.jpg