• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I've got a long run of Thrilling Mystery pulps in my collection, so I was thinking maybe it would be fun to post a bunch of them over the next couple of weeks.

What do you think?

October 1935

thrillingmysteryoct35.jpg

v1#1

Now that's a cover! :applause:

thrillingmysteryoct35.jpg

Now that's a cover! :applause:

I'm amazed that publishers got away with covers like that back then.

The 1930's obviously weren't quite as uptight as I generally tend to think. Can you imagine what it was like to see a newsstand, at that time, full of weird menace covers staring back at you?

Older readers must have been shocked at how artistic norms had loosened up during their lifetime.

This is what the typical pulp cover looked like at the beginning of the 20th century.

argosy.jpg

Here are a few more Thrilling Mystery covers for your viewing pleasure.

This issue includes stories by Conan creator Robert E. Howard ("Graveyard Rats") and Mort Weisinger ("Torture Tower"). Weisinger is best known among comic fans as the editor of Superman during the 1950s and 1960s.

thrillingmysteryfeb36.jpg

February 1936

This wonderful thread went straight from 'Dollar Bill' to headless corpses!

thrillingmysteryjan36.jpg

January 1936

This is what the typical pulp cover looked like at the beginning of the 20th century.

I am very new to studying pulp history, but maybe somebody can explain something to me on this subject...

Munsey pioneered the pulp format, but I can't figure out why the field didn't crowd in after him far sooner than it did.

Street and Smith converted to pulp format... what, late teens early 20s?

I know others used the format, before then as well, but it seems they didn't quite understand what was making Munsey tick.

It couldn't have escaped attention that Munsey was generating a vast fortune -- which he soon parlayed into becoming one of the most powerful men in America (one of the largest stockholders of US Steel, financed Roosevelt's failed US Presidential bid as an independent -- though that was damn bold, to this day the most successful 3rd party attempt)

On the subject of his earliest covers...

Bet that was reaction to Comstock. Bad as the 1950s were for comic publishers, they had it much worse then. Comstock was throwing publishers in JAIL over this stuff, based on nothing more than his own say-so.

NY Society for Prevention of Vice was still pulling that off into the 20s & 30s, though they had to jump through a few more hoops to do it, and publishers had more loopholes they could jump through.

great idea. any info on the DS sig bottom right Dec ?

thanks BZ

Checking in Tim's Guide to the Pulps, he lists DeSoto as artist within that range. We're so used to see his later work that we missed the ID. But it's probably Rafael DeSoto.

This issue has interior illos by Joseph Doolin and Alex Schomburg.

thrillingmysteryapr36.jpg

April 1936

...hard to argue with an accurately rendered Boa Constrictor..... GOD BLESS......

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This issue includes stories by Conan creator Robert E. Howard ("Graveyard Rats") and Mort Weisinger ("Torture Tower"). Weisinger is best known among comic fans as the editor of Superman during the 1950s and 1960s.

February 1936

Damn it Bang, there you go again. Just when I thought it was safe, you go posting killer pulps like this. I'm scrambling for my want list again...

February 1936

Really cool cover, and I had no idea Howard had a story in Thrilling Mystery.

The Devil in Iron Conan cover is one of my favorites. It took me years to find a nice copy (the first one below) and I've had for a while now. But then in the last few months I've found two more nice ones and couldn't pass them up. :)

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252024%2520No%25202%2520Aug%25201934.jpg

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252024%2520No%25202%2520Aug%25201934%2520B.jpgWeird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252024%2520No%25202%2520Aug%25201934%2520C.jpg

This Dec 1930 issue of Weird Tales arrived over the weekend and it completes the 1930 year run for me.

Unfortunately, the cover is neatly but completely detached. But the book looks so nice I decided to use it to fill the hole until a nicer one comes along.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252016%2520No%25206%2520Dec%25201930.jpg

The Devil in Iron Conan cover is one of my favorites. It took me years to find a nice copy (the first one below) and I've had for a while now. But then in the last few months I've found two more nice ones and couldn't pass them up. :)

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252024%2520No%25202%2520Aug%25201934.jpg

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252024%2520No%25202%2520Aug%25201934%2520B.jpgWeird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252024%2520No%25202%2520Aug%25201934%2520C.jpg

Yowzers. :o

I predict in a few years RedFury will be diving through stacks of pulps a la Uncle Scrooge in his money vault. lol

scroogedive.jpg

Damn it Bang, there you go again. Just when I thought it was safe, you go posting killer pulps like this. I'm scrambling for my want list again...

It's all part of my devious plan to get more and more comic collectors interested in pulps, thus lessening the demand for comics, so I can swoop in and buy them at deflated prices. :devil: