• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

great idea. any info on the DS sig bottom right Dec ?

thanks BZ

Checking in Tim's Guide to the Pulps, he lists DeSoto as artist within that range. We're so used to see his later work that we missed the ID. But it's probably Rafael DeSoto.

By George, I think you've solved the riddle. (worship)

Munsey pioneered the pulp format, but I can't figure out why the field didn't crowd in after him far sooner than it did.

Street and Smith converted to pulp format... what, late teens early 20s?

I know others used the format, before then as well, but it seems they didn't quite understand what was making Munsey tick.

It couldn't have escaped attention that Munsey was generating a vast fortune -- which he soon parlayed into becoming one of the most powerful men in America (one of the largest stockholders of US Steel, financed Roosevelt's failed US Presidential bid as an independent -- though that was damn bold, to this day the most successful 3rd party attempt)

I know less about this subject than you do.

Do we know for a fact that Street and Smiths reluctance to switch from the dime novel format to that of the pulp format hurt them financially?

This wonderful thread went straight from 'Dollar Bill' to headless corpses!

thrillingmysteryjan36.jpg

Than it should amuse you to know that my intention was to move on to bathrooms next.

Really, I'm not kidding.

tomandjerrybathroom.jpg

In Our Gang Comics #6, the issue that included the "Dollar Bill" story, there is a Tom and Jerry story that caught my attention.

I was surprised to see that a toilet figured in lots of the action. I don't think I have ever seen a toilet in any other Golden Age Comics.

Have you?

This Dec 1930 issue of Weird Tales arrived over the weekend and it completes the 1930 year run for me.

Unfortunately, the cover is neatly but completely detached. But the book looks so nice I decided to use it to fill the hole until a nicer one comes along.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252016%2520No%25206%2520Dec%25201930.jpg

Seabury Quinn… :cloud9:

I was surprised to see that a toilet figured in lots of the action. I don't think I have ever seen a toilet in any other Golden Age Comics.

Have you?

Bathroom's being one of my areas of expertise and the place I spend the most time researching matters comic book, I've seen many golden age stories on a toilet but I have not seen a toilet in a golden age story before.

We should get Overstreet to note that!

Here are a few more Thrilling Mystery pulps for those of you who enjoy having a little bit of Weird Menace in your daily diet.

The cover to the May 1936 issue was painted by John Drew.

Interior illustrations by H.L. Parkhurst and Joseph Doolin.

thrillingmysterymay1936.jpg

The June 1936 issue has one of the most gruesome covers I've ever seen. :eek:

The contents include a Robert E. Howard story, "Black Wind Blowing."

Interior illos are by Alex Schomburg, Joseph Doolin, Leo Morey, and H.L. Parkhurst.

thrillingmysteryjune1936.jpg

'Black Wind Blowing' is an excellent story; Two-Gun breathes life into every cardboard cliche of the weird menace school. The date June 1936 sadly significant, as it was on the eleventh of that month that he succumbed to the darkness that had been pushing and pushing and pushing on him.

conan.JPG

Edited by pcalhoun

'Black Wind Blowing' is an excellent story; Two-Gun breathes life into every cardboard cliche of the weird menace school. The date June 1936 sadly significant, as it was on the eleventh of that month that he succumbed to the darkness that had been pushing and pushing and pushing on him.

conan.JPG

Pat, thanks for the added info about Howard.

I'd forgotten he had died in June of that year.

Also, as always, I love your creativeness in presenting poems.

Have you?

Bathroom's being one of my areas of expertise and the place I spend the most time researching matters comic book, I've seen many golden age stories on a toilet but I have not seen a toilet in a golden age story before.

We should get Overstreet to note that!

We need to find an Overstreet Advisor to champion the cause...but who? hm