• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I've got a few more scans to share with you. Hope you enjoy them.

Thrilling Mystery

May 1937

Cover by Rudolph Belarski

ThrillingMysteryMay1937.jpg

Wow, that's CRAZY! Question Bang. Did you get these Thrillings all at one time from the same collection? They all look to be in the same condition. Probably got them long ago as I never see them any more. I think I have to just add Thrilling Mystery to my want list. Just too many killer ones...

ThrillingMysteryMay1937.jpg

Wow, that's CRAZY! Question Bang. Did you get these Thrillings all at one time from the same collection? They all look to be in the same condition. Probably got them long ago as I never see them any more. I think I have to just add Thrilling Mystery to my want list. Just too many killer ones...

Yes, most / all were purchased as a single collection around 40 years ago. Quite a few of them have date stamps on the front cover and the name of a San Diego newsstand stamped on the back cover.

Frank & Ben, 1031 Sixth Ave, San Diego, California

frankandben.jpg

frankandben2.jpg

Does anyone else has any magazines with the same name stamped on them?

Happy Birthday, Virgil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

img939.jpg

Finlay was so good. I was very happy to add an autographed book of his to my collection recently. Happy birthday, Virgil!

Weird%252520Tales%252520Vol%25252029%252520No%2525202%252520Feb%2525201937%252520Darrow%252520copy%252520signed%252520by%252520Finlay%2525202.JPG

Happy Birthday, Virgil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

img939.jpg

I love Finlay's work. :applause:

When I was a young collector he was my favorite SF artist.

Several collections of Finlay's work were published over the years.

This is the cover to the1953 portfolio .

virgilfinlay.jpg

Hey Bang Zoom, is the paint book that's your avatar your personal copy? If it is (and if you haven't yet), i'd love to see the interiors posted sometime. Have been looking for an 'uncolored' in copy on eBay for awhile, to no avail :(

Edited by Sagii

Hey Bang Zoom, is the paint book that's your avatar your personal copy?

If it is (and if you haven't yet), i'd love to see the interiors posted sometime.

Here are a few of the pages. :)

bugs4.jpg

bugs3.jpg

bugs2.jpg

bugs1.jpg

Hey Bang Zoom, is the paint book that's your avatar your personal copy?

If it is (and if you haven't yet), i'd love to see the interiors posted sometime.

Here are a few of the pages. :)

bugs4.jpg

bugs3.jpg

bugs2.jpg

bugs1.jpg

:cloud9: that is one hard item of Looney Tunes collectibles to come by in unused condition (Bugs was the world's hottest cartoon character at that time, so yes, any kid who had a copy I guess would of course lovingly color him and the gang in). Lucky guy, thank you VERY much for granting my request! :applause:

:cloud9: that is one hard item of Looney Tunes collectibles to come by in unused condition (Bugs was the world's hottest cartoon character at that time, so yes, any kid who had a copy I guess would of course lovingly color him and the gang in). Lucky guy, thank you VERY much for granting my request! :applause:

It's my pleasure. I'm happy to see another Bugs Bunny fan here on the Boards.

Do you have any 1940's Bugs Bunny coloring books?

If it isn't too much trouble for you, I'd love to see a pic of any you might have.

If it isn't too much trouble for you, I'd love to see a pic of any you might have.

I think I saw that Bugs Bunny coloring book for sale at the flea market today. Is your wife selling your collection without telling you? :devil:

I purchased these after seeing pages from one of BZ's Bugs books.

8740670125_b9f2312088_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I think I saw that Bugs Bunny coloring book for sale at the flea market today. Is your wife selling your collection without telling you? :devil:

I purchased these after seeing pages from one of BZ's Bugs' books.

I've always wanted to pick up those early Bugs issues! How are the stories; the covers are fantastic.

I purchased these after seeing pages from one of BZ's Bugs books.

The covers on these are fantastic. The 'Frozen Kingdom' and 'Haunted Mountains' covers are stand outs too. If you come across that book again BB let me know .

None of the 40's ones yet BangZoom (as i'd prefer uncolored in copies, but have not come across any yet). But i would like to share one of my 50's edition Bugs coloring books. Bugs Bunny Goes Hiking (1957). This was part of a mini set of books of same size and similar colors and layout style. Love the splash(the green is part of the printing process, not crayon colored in).

IMG_1148_zpskvbdtovx.jpg

IMG_1150_zpsrjdl2eai.jpg

IMG_1152%201_zpsq2zrhgkm.jpg

I've always wanted to pick up those early Bugs issues! How are the stories; the covers are fantastic.

The cover and story for Four Color 123 and 142 are by Thomas McKimson, an animator and brother to Warner Bros director Robert McKimson. The art is of high quality but the stories are not near as strong and so don't compare well to Barks' Donald Duck adventures.

The cover and story for Four Color 123 and 142 are by Thomas McKimson, an animator and brother to Warner Bros director Robert McKimson. The art is of high quality but the stories are not near as strong and so don't compare well to Barks' Donald Duck adventures.

Says who? :sumo::baiting:

lol All kidding aside, the stories are probably the reason a lot of the Looney Tunes comics aren't hotly contested, the first fifty one issues of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies excluded(though 'The Frozen Kingdom' issue in the Four Color run used to be touted by a long time dealer whose name escapes me in his sales catalogs as "a story as good as any Barks story") indisputable icons that they are.

But come to think of it within the Disney canon itself, Mickey may be the King of the kingdom in most collectible areas, but in the comic book market he is no match for Donald, again due to the Barks stories(and art of course).