• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the first comic you bought that you still have today?

56 posts in this topic

My first comic that I bought for myself that I still own today (i.e. my original copy) is Batman #278 from 1976. I recall my mother buying a few titles for me in 1975 that never caught my interest, but once I bought that Batman #278 for 30 cents I was hooked on all the Batman comics

I still have my original copy of #278, although I removed all the ad pages from the comic, this seemed like a good idea when I was 7 years old. Fortunately I stopped doing this to my comics starting with Batman #286.

I have never upgraded my copy of #278, it just wouldn't be the same as having the original.

So what is the first comic you ever bought for yourself that you still own today and have never upgraded for a better condition copy?

DD 268, he looked like such a bad mofo with that noose, my copy is really thrashed, didn't become a collector for another 2-3 years, and then took ten years off after "the incident" 27_laughing.gif

I still own all the comics I bought back in the early 70s - the first one I purchased from the newstand being (as I may have mentioned in one or two previous threads) Swamp Thing 10.

I do have two NM- copies in my inventory, but that book is part of my original collection, none of which have been upgraded. They are however for the most part in VFN or better, although, like the ST #10, they all have those nasty pence stamps.

2027f.jpg

smile.gif

If that had been my first comic, I would never had started collecting.
Um, good for you. thumbsup2.gif

I started buying comics back in 2002. Which put at age 12/13

Also, I didn't know *spoon* about them, anyway, what the hell does it matter?

2027f.jpg

smile.gif

It matters, because there are much examples of better stories, better art, better everything. If I were to judge the comic industry on that one comic, I would never have staretd collecting. It wasn't a slam against you, in fact It's great you stuck with collecting even though you were exposed to such dreck in the beginning.

flowerred.gif

2027f.jpg

smile.gif

It matters, because there are much examples of better stories, better art, better everything. If I were to judge the comic industry on that one comic, I would never have staretd collecting. It wasn't a slam against you, in fact It's great you stuck with collecting even though you were exposed to such dreck in the beginning.

flowerred.gif

27_laughing.gif

True, true.

Truthfully though, I never knew of a comic shop, I went to little macks once a week to see what they had in, during the time they had only two titles, this and ASM. (plus a bunch of craap I wassen't intreseted in) I however only bought this.

PP:Spider-Man was the only one I bought from Little Macks, took me forever to finally get around to learning more, and finding a LCS. Wassen't for this message board, i'd probably still be doing the same thing. insane.gif

The closest thing I have to that is a copy of G.I. Combat #163 that belonged to my brother, which he bought off the racks in 1973. He gave it to me in 1977, as I was just starting to by my own books (I was 7 then). So that is the Rosetta Stone of my collection. It's coverless, completely tatty and 100% pure magic.

Shep

That would be Maximum Clonage part three of six, which would put me in the camp of clone saga enthusiasts! I was on vacation with my family and when we got back home I had my dad drive around town to find the other five issues. I actually enjoyed how the arcs ran through all of the titles back then. I stopped buying comics when Heroes Reborn was introduced and started collecting again last year with The Other. The storyline caught my eye because it had the arc going through all of the titles.

Plenty of black and white reprints of Silver Age DC books (other collectors this side of the world will know what I am talking about).

Then a little magic in the form of Strange Tales 124 arrived. It is original. It is in colour. What a great villain. The Trapster. 27_laughing.gif Used to be Paste Pot Pete. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Looked and sounded better as that if you ask me.

Still remember the climax, Thing stuck to a wall by his arms, straining to get free. Then the brilliant advice of J Storm to "Stop trying to break the glue, Ben, break out the wall !!"

Like Thing's application of force could differentiate between the two. But I digress.

Kicked the whole thing off for me in 1964. Still got the book in what is euphemistically known as "well read" condition.