• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Pressing" of Golden Age books question???

46 posts in this topic

Pressing doesn't bother me at all. Nor does dry cleaning (i.e., erasing/wiping away surface dirt and grime).

Ditto.

The endless talk about pressing and cleaning bothers me more than the things themselves.

Pressing doesn't bother me at all. Nor does dry cleaning (i.e., erasing/wiping away surface dirt and grime).

Ditto.

The endless talk about pressing and cleaning bothers me more than the things themselves.

Me too. I also am not partial to the concept of having a "rogues gallery of disclosure" of pressed books that are labeled as such by people who are not qualified to make those calls. Seems like an irresponsible thing to do to someone else's property.

Ditto.

Me too. I also am not partial to the concept of having a "rogues gallery of disclosure" of pressed books that are labeled as such by people who are not qualified to make those calls. Seems like an irresponsible thing to do to someone else's property.

That's one of the things that really bothers me, and the part that ALWAYS gets lost in the shuffle. I am all for detective work and disclosure (it's how we all found out about trimming and other ills), but I think people should use a little more discretion when making accusations about someone else's property....property that often times has substantial value.

Ditto.

Oops! foreheadslap.gif I'm sorta new 'round here. Am I horse.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ditto.

Oops! foreheadslap.gif I'm sorta new 'round here. Am I horse.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not so much beating a dead horse as . . .

canworms.jpg

Ditto.

Well....sort of, but my post wasn't targeted at you at all. There are a ton of threads on the subject, but more always seem to crop up with the same set of people arguing with the same set of opponents until it degenerates into a flame war and the thread gets locked....but I guess that's what passes for substantive discourse around here.

Maybe we should just have one thread, pinned to the top, that discusses the subject in a rational manner so that new guys like you can see what all the fuss is about. Then we (hopefully) wouldn't have the same tired debate over and over again.

What are your thoughts on it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

it's depessing; sell a 7.0, and pressto, somebody presscient enought to see it's potential makes a killing off the newly pressed 8.0. a guy with a good eye can spot even the most impresseptible defects that can be remedied.

i've asked pressident bush to look into it.

you need to ask esquire comics guy; he pressides over the whole issue, with quite impressive insight. even my presschooler agrees with him.

thumbsup2.gif I just completed a little erasing of dirt last night on a few books.. they sure look pretty now.

I like pressing too. Makes things look so pristine and "straight off the presses"

Maybe we should just have one thread, pinned to the top, that discusses the subject in a rational manner

I laughed so hard I spewed milk out my nose. hail.gif

Ditto.

That's one of the things that really bothers me, and the part that ALWAYS gets lost in the shuffle. I am all for detective work and disclosure (it's how we all found out about trimming and other ills), but I think people should use a little more discretion when making accusations about someone else's property....property that often times has substantial value.

Would you and Scott feel better if it was just characterized as a gallery of "CGC graded books that have been resubmitted and received a new grade", with no intimations of pressing or other work done unless such work had been reliably confirmed?

Ditto.

Would you and Scott feel better if it was just characterized as a gallery of "CGC graded books that have been resubmitted and received a new grade", with no intimations of pressing or other work done unless such work had been reliably confirmed?

I would. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ditto.

So would I.

Ditto.

So would I.

So should anyone.

It's just common sense.

When you go to someone and say you want to put a mark of cain on their property and basically say "your book must wear this badge that says the book is worthless and implies you a a lying cheat," well, big surprise when they're reluctant

But when you say we just want all information available and we're not trying to ruin your book's value, then every reasonable person will be more than happy to do it.,