• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MZ vs. AoD #1 2nd Printing Cover!

22 posts in this topic

Dang, I might acutally have to get this one. Sweet! cloud9.gif

mzomb.jpg

LAYMAN & SUYDAM ON ZOMBIES, ASH, AND MORE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And we keep the Dynamite ball rolling with our series of interviews, peeks, and features…

While it’s launch may have been a touch overshadowed by the other book that was released on March 7th, Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness #1 moved just fine, than you very much, and quickly sold out at the distributor level.

Dynamite and Marvel have confirmed for Newsarama that a second printing of #1 is coming, (item code: FEB078043), and features a new cover by Arthur Suydam – one that is somewhat timely – an homage to Captain America #1.

With #1 moving along, and #2 coming up, we spoke with writer John Layman and Suydam about the series and the whole zombie thing.

First off, catching up on what went down in issue #1, via the Mighty Layman Super-Short Recap Machine:

“Basically, we see infected zombie Sentry, who is so powerful he can literally punch between universes, and he's made it to the afterworld, or, at least, an afterworld, and he is gobbling up residents of the Great Hereafter,” Layman explained. “The recently deceased Ash tries to put up a fight, and he gets *spoon*-smacked all the way into the Marvel Universe. Or, more precisely, the Marvel Universe doomed to become the zombie-verse. Poor Ash can't even catch a break, even in death.

“As I’ve said in the past, I really wanted a chance for Ash to interact with non-infected heroes, 'cause once powerful Marvel Heroes start becoming zombies, the chance for Ash's survival gets lower and lower and lower. Starting with issue #2, though, the zombie carnage starts in earnest, and it never lets up. That's where the fun of the series really kicks in, seeing all sorts of Marvel U characters that Robertr Kirkman could not fit into the original Marvel Zombies miniseries.”

And of course, the natural connection between the two respective universes that are meeting – Deadites. They’re the common enemy in Ash’s world, and by gum, these costumed freaks look just like them, as far as Ash is concerned.

“The Marvel Zombies/Deadites connection was my idea, but I won't take much credit, 'cause it seems to me to be a no-brainer,” Layman said. “Ash has had plenty of experience with the evil dead, but to him they're called Deadites. Ash comes into this weird, different, marvelous new world, and naturally presumes he is dealing with a different sort of Deadite.”

And of course, speaking of Ash’s Deadites, and the zombified versions of Marvel characters, the miniseries also features the re-pairing of artist Arthur Suydam with the property, once again giving him a chance to “zombify” classic Marvel covers, including the above Captain America #1 cover, which will grace the second printing of #1.

“I love zombies, and I’m a good match for them,” Suydam replied when asked about why he keeps coming back. “I’ve literally spent hundreds of hours in a refrigerator surrounded by corpses on tables and hanging from hooks on the ceiling during my anatomical studies and at this point I feel like I have an intimate relationship with the undead. (laughs/shudders) So I had that to bring to the table, but enormous credit is due to Chris Allo, John Barber, David Gabriel and many more at Marvel. By now they know my work very well and are very good at matching me up with the right projects.”

Suydam credits Dynamite’s Nick Barrucci and Joe Rybandt for coming up with the covers he’s “zombifying” for the miniseries.

“And they’ve come up with some doozies,” Suydam commented. “John Barber, Chris Allo and I have contributed as well. They’re actually great conversations, much like I used to have back in the day – a bunch of guys sitting around talking about which covers are the best of all time, and how each would best serve the storyline. I love those conversations. A great joy to hash out, and the end results are fantastic.”

The added wrinkle with the covers for Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness of course, is that along with the original Marvel characters, Ash needs to appear on the cover as well – somehow.

“On some, he replaces a character, if it doesn’t affect the storyline or muck up the major identifying aspects of the cover,” Suydam said. “On others, I try to find a logical place to put him in. It’s a challenge, but it’s also a game I play with myself. The point is to slip him in seamlessly so that it’s not noticeable that he’s in there at first. That’s half the fun.”

Taking the above Cap cover as a case study, Suydam wanted to correct one belief some may have about his versions of the covers: there’s no re-touching the original image. “Everything is brand new. The challenge lies in making them both recognizable and brand new. I keep as many of the essential elements of the original cover as I can, and the original artwork is useful as inspiration and serves mostly as a concept guide. In the end, it’s a parody, but it’s also an homage to the great artists who did the job to begin with, and I don’t take the job lightly. As to who gets ‘goreified,’ and to what degree, it’s whatever works and looks the best, and that gets worked out as I go.”

So what makes a Suydam zombie a “Suydam zombie?”

“For me, the monsters that have really zinged me over the years have been truly unique, not generic. With my zombies, each of them has to have his or her own story that you can tell by looking at them. You can tell everything about them at a glance. Recurring characters get their own personalization, like Wolverine having a taste for eyeballs – that’s a caviar thing. Captain America has little birdies nesting inside his skull, because it looked like the perfect spot for a bird to build a nest. Once you get past the gore factor, it’s also very funny. With zombies, the more skin you strip away, the bigger the smile.”

Suydam said he has “about a hundred” more covers on his list of candidates for upcoming covers between the remaining issues of MA vs. AoD (and possible reprints) as well as Kirkman’s upcoming Zombie projects with Marvel.

But back to the more immediate upcoming of the zombie projects – with the end of issue #1, Ash was left encased in Spider-Man’s webbing, his rescuer, Spider-Man had just been infected, and he’s at the mercy of three zombified “heroes.” What’s a guy to do?

“Well, you’ll have to wait and read to see how he gets out of that,” Layman said. “But I can tell you that Ash dies at the end of issue #2. No joke. And no, he does not come back as a Deadite. Or a zombie. How's that for a cliffhanger?”

linky

Dang, I might acutally have to get this one. Sweet! cloud9.gif

mzomb.jpg

Nice to see the Golden Age get into the act.. thumbsup2.gif

And I also love that Hitler has not skin on his head but still has his hair and mustache....I KNEW IT WAS A TOUPE.

C

Think we have to wait until later as only February is up now, but I'm sure it will me near the top of the list for March. Interestingly AOD #13 only had less than 10,000 est. sales for the first print.

http://www.cbgxtra.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1974

But I've noticed a couple of interesting things...

Fear Agent I thought was growing in popularity, but issue #11 down to only 4,750 est. sales.

And was this the first month Transformers Prime Directive Movie Prequel #1 was available, with only about 2,800 est. sales? If this movie is hot, like I think it will be, this could be a smoking issue in a couple months?

Think we have to wait until later as only February is up now, but I'm sure it will me near the top of the list for March. Interestingly AOD #13 only had less than 10,000 est. sales for the first print.

Fear Agent I thought was growing in popularity, but issue #11 down to only 4,750 est. sales.

And was this the first month Transformers Prime Directive Movie Prequel #1 was available, with only about 2,800 est. sales? If this movie is hot, like I think it will be, this could be a smoking issue in a couple months?

Sounds like a couple good entries for the "Moderns that are heating Up" fourm! Nice tip on the Transformers Prequel. I think I'll look for that. thumbsup2.gif

But why is there really a 2nd printing? Due to the success and hype of Marvel Zombies and AoD 13, I can't imagine retailers not ordering enough. In fact, I'm sure I could go out tomorrow and pick up 50 copies. This is just selling an extra cover for the price of a whole comic.

Sounds like a couple good entries for the "Moderns that are heating Up" fourm! Nice tip on the Transformers Prequel. I think I'll look for that. thumbsup2.gif

I have 4 different versions of those TRANSFORMERS books, and I can tell you why they didn't sell - horrible interior art. So bad I don't even want to read one.... I'm hoping they get hot so I can dump them... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

But why is there really a 2nd printing? Due to the success and hype of Marvel Zombies and AoD 13, I can't imagine retailers not ordering enough. In fact, I'm sure I could go out tomorrow and pick up 50 copies. This is just selling an extra cover for the price of a whole comic.

Party Pooper tongue.gif

But you're right...... grin.gif

If there were only 10,000 copies of AoD 13 then that means there were 666.6666 copies of the sketch cover! Glad I got mine when I did cause I'd hate to be the one to own the .6666 issue.