• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another New Person Says Hello

19 posts in this topic

Hello all. I have lurked on the boards for about 18 months and finally decided to sign up. I have been soaking up knowledge and keeping my mouth shut but I thought it was time to say "Hello!"

I live in Chicagoland and noticed several forumites are from the area, especially the Golden Age collectors. Hope I can meet you all some time.

I am a completist, I like full runs of titles. My interest in particular is Detective Comics. Within the past year I decided to continue that run rather than cut off at the "New Look" Batman in issue 327, which was my original cutoff. The dollar values on the books older than the Silver Age was at first a bit daunting to me but I took the plunge and have enjoyed it.

In any event, I have learned a great deal from the experienced collectors on these boards. I have still made mistakes in my collecting but it has cost far fewer dollars than if I had gone in completely blind. Look forward to learning more, probably in the GA forums a lot.

John (Griz)

More useless info, I'm also a big fan of "old" movies. Big Humphrey Bogart fan, and big fan of film noir, really enjoy it.

I'm nostalgic for an era I never lived in.

Me too. I was born in 1980 and I collect golden age books and love movies from the 40s and 50s. The Chicago climate is conducive towards staying indoors and developing offbeat hobbies. tongue.gif

Me too. I was born in 1980 and I collect golden age books and love movies from the 40s and 50s. The Chicago climate is conducive towards staying indoors and developing offbeat hobbies. tongue.gif

I was born in 1972, and my father is an old movie guy, and I developed the enjoyment from him.

Cagney... I actually like him too. I just like Bogie better.

Likewise (and Kalamazoo climate is the same deal...).