• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You win $50 million in the lottery. How much do you spend on comics?

149 posts in this topic

I am forced to play the lottery every week at work. It's part social obligation, part defense mechanism. Social obligation for the same reason I have to buy breakfast tacos every couple of weeks for the people I office with (thankfully there are only 8 of us). Defense mechanism because I am not about to have those other seven people hit the lotto and leave me stuck trying to run the department by myself. But given that it only costs me $5 a week, and I save far more than that each week since I stopped drinking sodas, it's not all bad.

So yesterday, as I kicked in my $5 for this week's drawings, we started another discussion about uses for the winnings. One guy started talking about the custom motorcycle collection he would begin. Another rambled on about 18th century firearms. The guys know I collect comics, and they asked how much of my winnings I would spend on them...

Now a split-eight-ways lotto hit isn't that great... But say you hit it big all by yourself, and after taxes you were getting a cash-option check for $50 million.

How much would you spend on comics?

I came to the conclusion I would spend around $5 million on my personal collection, and I would throw another $10 million at opening the finest comic shop in the country. With the earnings from the other $35 mil I wouldn't need the store to ever make money. I could do what I love for the rest of my life and as long as it broke even on its own I would be content...

What about you?

Good question 'House

893scratchchin-thumb.gif, lets see and i am basing my answer on what my collecting interests are, because with that kind of coin, you can buy about all the comics you want. Hell your monthly budget on the interest would be in the thousands of $$$ every month.

I am thinking that i would spend far less than a million. GA does very little for me. So the big ticket items like Action 1 and the ilk, while they would be intriguing, dont really hold much sway with me. Although I would snap up all the Green Lantern books. I might even buy the ones with Doiby *spoon* too 893whatthe.gif

So, i woud be looking at SA Marvels and some DCs. Would I buy everything, probably not. Pre-hero stuff, yeah, some of that is cool. Early X-men? with the exception of 1, 4, 12-13, and 16, nope. ASM 893scratchchin-thumb.gif maybe some of the early cool covers. You kinda get the idea i think.

So, im guessing that I could have my fix for well under 500k and probably closer to 100k.

Although I do love the idea of the best comic shop in the world idea 'House. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I like some of the ideas I've read.

Opening an amazing store is definately something I'd do, and putting it in the bank to buy comics with the interest is another key move!

Comics all in all can't be that crazy expensive, where it goes into the millions and millions of dollars. Maybe 1-5 million at most would be enough for some people to totally upgrade their entire collection, right?

First you get the money, then you get the comics, then you get the women..

Then you get divorced... she takes your comics and your back where you started

I win $50 million, it would be a long time before I did anything comic wise! Probably take a wrecking ball to my current house, buy a second home on Martha's Vineyard. Travel the world,,,Invest the money and then maybe buy a comic off the rack.

I would spend 20 million on a collection. Another 10 million on a mansion and a couple of sports cars. Save the rest.....

Remember to factor in taxes. You might have 30 to work with when all is said and done.

I like some of the ideas I've read.

Opening an amazing store is definately something I'd do, and putting it in the bank to buy comics with the interest is another key move!

Comics all in all can't be that crazy expensive, where it goes into the millions and millions of dollars. Maybe 1-5 million at most would be enough for some people to totally upgrade their entire collection, right?

I get 20 million from buying Dougs X-Men collection, plenty of HG Silver Age Keys and HG GA Keys

I would spend 20 million on a collection. Another 10 million on a mansion and a couple of sports cars. Save the rest.....

Remember to factor in taxes. You might have 30 to work with when all is said and done.

If you are in Canada you get all the money!

No taxes on Lottery winnings up here

None of it!

I would start buying OA join a comic chatboard and go talk about how OA is the future just to cheese off the fanboys! devil.gif

Thats so Krazy it might work

None of it!

I would start buying OA join a comic chatboard and go talk about how OA is the future just to cheese off the fanboys! devil.gif

And every time I get booted I'd comeback using some sort of food based username just to be extra lame.

None of it!

And every time I get booted I'd comeback using some sort of food based username just to be extra lame.

that might KATch on

$1 million would be plenty (and take several years to collect).

Detective 1-225 (GD to VF) $300,000

Captain America Comics 1-78 plus Canadian Annual (GD to VF) $100,000

Other non-Cap Red Skull appearances $15,000

Batman 1-100 (GD to VF) $100,000

SA keys (FF1, AF15, Hulk1, etc.) in Fine $50,000

Full set of Atlas superhero revival comics (VG to VF) $10,000

Full set of EC horror comics (VF with a few Gaines file copies) $50,000

Favorite early Sandman Adventure comics (VG to VF) $50,000

Full set of Neal Adams Batman/Detective comics (Pedigree copies) $15,000

Full set of Aparo Spectre Adventure comics (Pedigree copies) $4000

Full set of Wrightson Swamp Thing comics (Pedigree copies) $6000

Favorite Green Lantern/All-American comics (GD to VF) $50,000

Action 1 $200,000

Other GA keys $50,000

* From nerfherder's "If you inherited" thread.

Put the money in the bank, buy comics with the interest each month.

thumbsup2.gif That's the way to do it.

But hypothetically, if I didn't do that and just used straight cash winnings and had a good $30 million to spend after taxes then I could see myself spending $2-$3 million on comics, comic art, animation art and a little fine art thrown in.

I almost posted 1 million, because that would get me full runs of all books I would still like, but having thought about it again...I'd need 2 million, the one million to buy all the books from my list and the other million to buy the world's best Tec '27 or Action #1... just to *spoon* everybody off and have my sig line say that I own the best book in the world sumo.gif

So two million for comics and CCE's..

Another three million play money

15 million for my family

15 million in a bank account

the remaining 15 million goes to charity

I'd go hog wild into collecting OA.

I'd also open up my ultimate comic store complex.

Set up my nephews with a nice little trust fund.

Buy a house.

Build a vacation home on Cape Cod.

Travel