• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

White pages?

28 posts in this topic

Depends on age/era. The older the book, the more lenient collectors (in general) are. However, it also can/does affect price to a degree. Older books with white pages will likely carry a premium over off-white issues.

Me personally, I collect mainly Silver Age and draw the line at OW...unless I can get a C-OW at a GREAT price. I will pay a slight % increase for a straight WHITE pq book.

Now, all that being said...what book/era are you specifically talking about?

Rick

Me personally, I collect mainly Silver Age and draw the line at OW...unless I can get a C-OW at a GREAT price. I will pay a slight % increase for a straight WHITE pq book.

Rick

Think thats standard for most guys, for SA and up.

Rick

thumbsup2.gif

And with GA, CREAM is not usually a stigma. Anything except brittle or tan is accepted by most collectors.

Is it a copper age - modern? (80's - present?)

If so then yes you may have a right to kick cans,

but as it has been said numerous times on these boards -

"If you like the book and the way it looks, the heck with the grade or

the label for that matter"

I.O.W. - buy what makes you happy, not what some other person

that makes grades and lables says will make you happy.

thumbsup2.gif

Rick

thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, OW and up is acceptable.

Most people are not worried with off white to white or even off white. The line usually seems to be drawn at cream to off white though I don't have a problem with even these. Also, remember CGC was more strict on page quality with their older labels and a resub may see a slight bump in PQ. This has been the experience of many. There are some eras of books that simply do not turn up with white pages and these I believe command a premium. SA DC's come to mind. Absolutely impossible to find with white paper. Usually ow/w at best and commonly o/w or c/ow. Does anyone know why? It must have been the type of paper DC was using.

Ah thanks for the thoughts, my problem was this was a modern. Well here is my story... I recently started collecting again and have had the money to buy the books i wanted when i was little, this made spiderman 300 my grail book (haha i know sounds lame after reading the boards but im only 21! its what i remember) anyways i wanted to find this for about $300 at 9.6 and couldnt find anywhere near that. Finally i see one on ebay at 325 so i jump on it and buy it now. A few hours later i go back and look at the pictures and notice that it might be off white on the label

I still have not recieved the book and the picture is blurry but im pretty sure th it says OW

The purchase:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/_sotired_/296e_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/_sotired_/2888_1.jpg

I submitted to CGC for the first time last weekend; on-site grading. I thought for sure they would come back with off-white to white pages. All of them came back with white pages. No complaints here, but I was definitely surprised. Makes me want to crack open some of my off-white to white slabs and see what the page quality looks like.

My books also came back .2 higher than expected. It was a great day!!!! Now I can reassess the grade of my comic collection. I'm definitely getting more slabbed.

Is there a relative standard for "white pages" vis-a-vis comic books? I work in the publishing business, and in my experience at least, the paper we're talking about from the '30s - '80s (i.e., newsprint) was never completely "white" to begin with. I haven't worked with newsprint in years, but IIRC, the old school stuff is a lot less white/bright than what's being used today; newsprint from the '70s in particular tends toward a light grayish shade (cream, too). So when we talk about "white" pages in old comic books, do we really mean paper that's in an un-degraded state, as opposed to a more abstract idea of bright white (e.g., as for notebook or copy paper)? Just curious...

So when we talk about "white" pages in old comic books, do we really mean paper that's in an un-degraded state, as opposed to a more abstract idea of bright white (e.g., as for notebook or copy paper)? Just curious...

Right. Even fresh off the printer, paperstock from these eras was never as bright or white as a sheet of copy paper. Paper that white would have been quite expensive... not exactly the lowest possible price paperstock that they used.

if books are slabbed and the pages arent white or off-white, say they are yellow (that old paper smell comes to mind) - does cgc list the page color as Yellow? or is it just left unstated?

if books are slabbed and the pages arent white or off-white, say they are yellow (that old paper smell comes to mind) - does cgc list the page color as Yellow? or is it just left unstated?

I don't think yellow is color classification.

I believe Cream is the lowest color marking.