• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge mass of restored books about to hit E-bay soon

62 posts in this topic

Me no get why anyone would restore a silver age book.

The concept is that an unethical seller would rather sell you a book

for $300 than $100 by "doctoring" the comic. 30 years ago the concept

of individual book owners was - " it's my comic, I'll do what ever I want

to, including amatuer or professional repairs, restoration." Now, 30 years

later, those same books are resurfacing into a market place where values

for true high grade comics has exploded exponentially. And scab sellers

are NOT disclosing restoration. That is what pizzzes everyone off. poke2.gif

One thing for sure, the AF #15 has enough detailed pics. Even one with a blue light effect.. WOW.. Doesn't look restored to me confused-smiley-013.gif Solid VG+ copy!

...It may not,...I didn't examine this book since I had no interest in buying it and it was in a fortress press,...the stuff I did find was on a lot of the non key books books like the IH and TTA run...also the B&B 28-30,...lots of tear seals and books detached from the cover held on with glue,...

I've e-mailed the seller asking about any restoration work on the AF #15 and Action Comics #40. I'll make sure to pass the info once received... yeahok.gif

here's your answer,...

Q: Has this comic have any restoration done to it whatsoever? Thanks, Jim Mar-24-07

A: Hi Jim, I wish I had an answer for you that was "yes" or "no", but I don't. The owner stated that he had no work done on any of his comics, but it may be that something was done before he bought it 10-15 years ago. He was very careful when examining all of his books for restoration work, but of course it's possible that he wasn't able to detect some work. I'm afraid this is the best I can do for you on your question, sorry!

I've e-mailed the seller asking about any restoration work on the AF #15 and Action Comics #40. I'll make sure to pass the info once received... yeahok.gif

Hey...I got an answer... smirk.gif

I wish I had an answer for you that was "yes" or "no", but I don't. The owner stated that he had no work done on any of his comics, but it may be that something was done before he bought it 10-15 years ago. He was very careful when examining all of his books for restoration work, but of course it's possible that he wasn't able to detect some work. I'm afraid this is the best I can do for you on your question, sorry!

yeahok.gif

Jim

Me no get why anyone would restore a silver age book.

The concept is that an unethical seller would rather sell you a book

for $300 than $100 by "doctoring" the comic. 30 years ago the concept

of individual book owners was - " it's my comic, I'll do what ever I want

to, including amatuer or professional repairs, restoration." Now, 30 years

later, those same books are resurfacing into a market place where values

for true high grade comics has exploded exponentially. And scab sellers

are NOT disclosing restoration. That is what pizzzes everyone off. poke2.gif [/quote

There are definitely bad sellers, but some may simply may not be defining restoration the same way. Color touch that is obvious and tear seals that do little more than hold an obvious tear in place so it doesn't get worse are not the sort of things that improve the apparent gtrade of a book. I think in those cases it can be argued you have disclosed the work simply by allowing the buyer to look at the book.

As for what itr selling, I think it's interesting that if you look at sales records, it is the silver age restored books that are doing even better (relative to FMV in unrestored mid grade) than the golden age -- and I am talking about disclosed restored books.

People who want books because they love the books themselves are less likely to care about whether it's restored. They would rather have a book that looks VF even though it's technically VG.

That is in line with the thought expressed on this board by someone whose name I can't recall. But he opined that the base price of a restored book should start with what it was worth before and go from there based on what it tooks like now and what it took to get it there.

I really don't see how potential restoration is going to affect this one anyway.

Even a Poor 0.5 can get a PLOD. Makes a big difference.

And it shouldn't. Poor is poor. The fact that some books get slabbed as an "apparent" poor (as if they're not really a poor but something else) is one of the more nonsensical thigns about PLODs and I have never seen anyone react to it except to say it was silly, at best.

"It's been brought to my attention that an anonymous poster on a non-eBay discussion group has been posting defamatory and unsubstantiated claims about a collection of comic books I am selling on consignment for a private collector. This individual, going by the handle "Rocketeer," claims that I am selling "undisclosed restored comics" and he purports to be motivated by a desire to warn his fellow collectors. We'll get to his motives shortly, but let me start by removing the anonymity from my side of the fence.

My name is Alice Simpson and I am an estate and consignment seller with a shop in Port Orchard, WA. I have been a buyer, seller, and collector for many years. I am also a certified personal property appraiser. I make my living by selling items for other people and doing appraisals when they need a professional valuation of their property - mostly for legal/tax reasons.

I'm very good at what I do, and am proud of my reputation as an honest seller. My aim is to accurately represent my clients' property and sell it as well as I can. This involves a lot of research about many kinds of items to learn about how to best present them to buyers, and to evaluate what I am selling. It also requires brutal honesty about all of the flaws that each item has, through both written descriptions and a huge amount of photos.

I also make it clear that I'm not an expert on every item, and I invite potential buyers to ask questions, request more photos, or even come in person to my shop to examine the items. My guiding principle is to never pretend I know something to be true when I don't know it. The quickest way to lose your clients and customers is to lie and say that something is "X" when you don't know if that's true. It has always been and always be my policy to admit that I don't know the answer to a question. Who in their right mind would do otherwise?? You can check my feedback if there is any doubt as to whether my buyers are satisfied with what they got. Is there any such metric to evaluate "Rocketeer"? I haven't seen one.

When I received this large consignment of between 1200-1300 comic books, I started asking on this board and others a lot of questions since this was a new area to me. I received many helpful replies, and one thing was clear: be honest with people and show them as much detail as possible when dealing with ungraded books. That's what I've done. "Rocketeer" responded to a posting I put on C-list (not sure if I can post their link here, but email me if you want to see the original ad) which stated that the comics were ungraded, sold as-is, and that I was not an expert on comics so couldn't assess their quality.

There was no mention of it being an "original owner" collection - this would be impossible, since the owner wasn't even born when many of his comics were published! Interested parties could make an appointment to inspect the books for themselves, which is what happened with "Rocketeer."

"Rocketeer" spent almost 4 hours examining the comics, putting aside a large number for more detailed inspection. As he stated in his post, there are a LOT of key issues in this collection. And even average condition copies of these books not only have extremely high guidebook values, but they have high eBay sale values as well. I began to get a bit concerned, since he'd told me that he only had part-time employment as a delivery driver - one of my jobs to to screen prospective buyers so that only people who are ABLE to buy the fragile items get to handle them.

He did not inspect any of my current listings, nor the CGC- or Fortress-encased books. I told him to write down the price he wanted to offer for each book after he'd examined it, and that I'd review each one while he went to lunch or something. On his return, we would see whether we'd be doing business. None of the books were priced, and none were graded. I made it clear that I didn't know the history of the books - the sale was as-is. There was no mis-representation here.

A quick look at eBay listings over the last 30 days shows that of the almost 12,000 Silver Age Comics listed, only 97 were advertised as CGC-rated in the title. Of the Golden Age books, almost 5000 books were listed, and only *43* advertised with CGC in the title. Let's be generous and assume that twice that many actually have independent 3rd party gradings, they just didn't put that in the title...that's STILL a tiny fraction of the old comics traded here on eBay.

An even more interesting number is the listings that contain the words "as-is", "final" and "no refund". And scan the typical listings, including those of you folks on this board, to see how many do not even mention repairs or restorations. So tell me why I'm the bad guy because I DO mention these things, and alert buyers that I have NO INFORMATION to tell them?? And I provide huge numbers of pictures in minute detail, and under a black light, to help them decide whether to buy or not. Compare my listings and the details I show to the average comic listing and you'll see that I'm going way above and beyond what seems to be typical for this industry.

Now, lets get to the crux of this flap. "Rocketeer" and some of the rest of you wanted to know who the owner is. I cannot and will not reveal clients' names without their permission. I have now obtained that permission. The owner of this ENTIRE collection is Mr. Bud Roberts. He is an attorney, licensed to practice in 5 states, and is an almost life-long collector of comics. He is well known as a serious collector of high-grade comic books and in purchasing books from dealers all over the country (probably from some of you on this board!) made every effort to determine if repairs or restorations had been done, as he was not interested in these books. It was Mr. Roberts who purchased the Hulk #1 book some 12 years ago and as a condition of sale required an independant 3rd party certification that no restorations were made. This was obtained and he has owned this book ever since.

Mr. Roberts' reputation is impeccable and he would never misrepresent an item. But, and this is important, he has not continuously owned all of the books from printing to now. And what was done before he bought the book is unknown, even though he did everything possible (such as only buying from reputable dealers) to ensure that the books were not restored. And as I said before, if you don't know for certain, DON'T SAY IT. Better yet, SAY that you don't know it! If any serious buyers are interested in contacting Mr. Roberts directly to ask questions about his books, please contact me and I'll provide contact info.

"Racketeer" was kind enough to leave me the box-ful of comics that he was interested in purchasing, along with the prices he wanted to offer. I've looked up these books' guidebook values and searched sold items to see what "fair value" was, and it is no surprise that he HUGELY underpriced these books. What do you know! It was when I told him that after he'd priced out his offers I wanted him to leave so that I could review them that he got squirrely. He thought he was dealing with an *spoon* who he could scam with lowball offers and I wouldn't know the difference. He thought I'd let him walk out with a bunch of valuable books for him to "evaluate" (and possibly switch out for lower quality books). He was wrong, so to get out of an embarrasing situation he cooks up this story. Shame on you, Jack. Perhaps you could share which of the 1200+ books you looked at (and not just 50 that you said) you think have restorations. I would be more than happy to photo every inch of them and submit them to this group for their opinion, and to educate myself on just what to look for. Are you up for it, or do you just prefer sneak attacks from under your rock?

I stand behind my listings. I will not lie to any prospective buyer and tell them something I can't prove. This is just good business practice. If buyers can't live with that uncertainty, then by all means buy only certified hermetically sealed books. Or factor the uncertainty into your bid. But don't condemn me for honestly telling you I don't know something."

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=2000339880&tstart=0&mod=1174799394193

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=2000339881&tstart=0&mod=1174799483217

"It's been brought to my attention that an anonymous poster on a non-eBay discussion group has been posting defamatory and unsubstantiated claims about a collection of comic books I am selling on consignment for a private collector. This individual, going by the handle "Rocketeer," claims that I am selling "undisclosed restored comics" and he purports to be motivated by a desire to warn his fellow collectors. We'll get to his motives shortly, but let me start by removing the anonymity from my side of the fence.

My name is Alice Simpson and I am an estate and consignment seller with a shop in Port Orchard, WA. I have been a buyer, seller, and collector for many years. I am also a certified personal property appraiser. I make my living by selling items for other people and doing appraisals when they need a professional valuation of their property - mostly for legal/tax reasons.

I'm very good at what I do, and am proud of my reputation as an honest seller. My aim is to accurately represent my clients' property and sell it as well as I can. This involves a lot of research about many kinds of items to learn about how to best present them to buyers, and to evaluate what I am selling. It also requires brutal honesty about all of the flaws that each item has, through both written descriptions and a huge amount of photos.

I also make it clear that I'm not an expert on every item, and I invite potential buyers to ask questions, request more photos, or even come in person to my shop to examine the items. My guiding principle is to never pretend I know something to be true when I don't know it. The quickest way to lose your clients and customers is to lie and say that something is "X" when you don't know if that's true. It has always been and always be my policy to admit that I don't know the answer to a question. Who in their right mind would do otherwise?? You can check my feedback if there is any doubt as to whether my buyers are satisfied with what they got. Is there any such metric to evaluate "Rocketeer"? I haven't seen one.

When I received this large consignment of between 1200-1300 comic books, I started asking on this board and others a lot of questions since this was a new area to me. I received many helpful replies, and one thing was clear: be honest with people and show them as much detail as possible when dealing with ungraded books. That's what I've done. "Rocketeer" responded to a posting I put on C-list (not sure if I can post their link here, but email me if you want to see the original ad) which stated that the comics were ungraded, sold as-is, and that I was not an expert on comics so couldn't assess their quality.

There was no mention of it being an "original owner" collection - this would be impossible, since the owner wasn't even born when many of his comics were published! Interested parties could make an appointment to inspect the books for themselves, which is what happened with "Rocketeer."

"Rocketeer" spent almost 4 hours examining the comics, putting aside a large number for more detailed inspection. As he stated in his post, there are a LOT of key issues in this collection. And even average condition copies of these books not only have extremely high guidebook values, but they have high eBay sale values as well. I began to get a bit concerned, since he'd told me that he only had part-time employment as a delivery driver - one of my jobs to to screen prospective buyers so that only people who are ABLE to buy the fragile items get to handle them.

He did not inspect any of my current listings, nor the CGC- or Fortress-encased books. I told him to write down the price he wanted to offer for each book after he'd examined it, and that I'd review each one while he went to lunch or something. On his return, we would see whether we'd be doing business. None of the books were priced, and none were graded. I made it clear that I didn't know the history of the books - the sale was as-is. There was no mis-representation here.

A quick look at eBay listings over the last 30 days shows that of the almost 12,000 Silver Age Comics listed, only 97 were advertised as CGC-rated in the title. Of the Golden Age books, almost 5000 books were listed, and only *43* advertised with CGC in the title. Let's be generous and assume that twice that many actually have independent 3rd party gradings, they just didn't put that in the title...that's STILL a tiny fraction of the old comics traded here on eBay.

An even more interesting number is the listings that contain the words "as-is", "final" and "no refund". And scan the typical listings, including those of you folks on this board, to see how many do not even mention repairs or restorations. So tell me why I'm the bad guy because I DO mention these things, and alert buyers that I have NO INFORMATION to tell them?? And I provide huge numbers of pictures in minute detail, and under a black light, to help them decide whether to buy or not. Compare my listings and the details I show to the average comic listing and you'll see that I'm going way above and beyond what seems to be typical for this industry.

Now, lets get to the crux of this flap. "Rocketeer" and some of the rest of you wanted to know who the owner is. I cannot and will not reveal clients' names without their permission. I have now obtained that permission. The owner of this ENTIRE collection is Mr. Bud Roberts. He is an attorney, licensed to practice in 5 states, and is an almost life-long collector of comics. He is well known as a serious collector of high-grade comic books and in purchasing books from dealers all over the country (probably from some of you on this board!) made every effort to determine if repairs or restorations had been done, as he was not interested in these books. It was Mr. Roberts who purchased the Hulk #1 book some 12 years ago and as a condition of sale required an independant 3rd party certification that no restorations were made. This was obtained and he has owned this book ever since.

Mr. Roberts' reputation is impeccable and he would never misrepresent an item. But, and this is important, he has not continuously owned all of the books from printing to now. And what was done before he bought the book is unknown, even though he did everything possible (such as only buying from reputable dealers) to ensure that the books were not restored. And as I said before, if you don't know for certain, DON'T SAY IT. Better yet, SAY that you don't know it! If any serious buyers are interested in contacting Mr. Roberts directly to ask questions about his books, please contact me and I'll provide contact info.

"Racketeer" was kind enough to leave me the box-ful of comics that he was interested in purchasing, along with the prices he wanted to offer. I've looked up these books' guidebook values and searched sold items to see what "fair value" was, and it is no surprise that he HUGELY underpriced these books. What do you know! It was when I told him that after he'd priced out his offers I wanted him to leave so that I could review them that he got squirrely. He thought he was dealing with an *spoon* who he could scam with lowball offers and I wouldn't know the difference. He thought I'd let him walk out with a bunch of valuable books for him to "evaluate" (and possibly switch out for lower quality books). He was wrong, so to get out of an embarrasing situation he cooks up this story. Shame on you, Jack. Perhaps you could share which of the 1200+ books you looked at (and not just 50 that you said) you think have restorations. I would be more than happy to photo every inch of them and submit them to this group for their opinion, and to educate myself on just what to look for. Are you up for it, or do you just prefer sneak attacks from under your rock?

I stand behind my listings. I will not lie to any prospective buyer and tell them something I can't prove. This is just good business practice. If buyers can't live with that uncertainty, then by all means buy only certified hermetically sealed books. Or factor the uncertainty into your bid. But don't condemn me for honestly telling you I don't know something."

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=2000339880&tstart=0&mod=1174799394193

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=2000339881&tstart=0&mod=1174799483217

Dear Alice, then why would he have brought it up himself in the first place? He knows how deep the waters run here, do you?

Ze-

Message for Alice:

Alice, Let me say that I am concerned. I am concerned that you are a snake oil salesman trying to pass along restored comics under bogus auspices. Why not just submit your comics for professional grading? Please answer at your leisure.

Date posted Reply #

stupidman! (684 ) View Listings | Report Mar-24-07 22:35 PDT 1 of 3

"A quick look at eBay listings over the last 30 days shows that of the almost 12,000 Silver Age Comics listed, only 97 were advertised as CGC-rated in the title."

Say what?

This search says there's currently 488 books with CGC in the title:

LINK

And completed auctions say there were 1,533:

LINK

What search did you use?

stupidman! (684 ) View Listings | Report Mar-24-07 22:42 PDT 2 of 3

The above was for CGC books only in Silver Age.

"Of the Golden Age books, almost 5000 books were listed, and only *43* advertised with CGC in the title."

This is for current Golden Age, 172:

LINK

And this is completed Golden Age, 523:

LINK

bpmcomics (54 ) View Listings | Report Mar-24-07 22:49 PDT 3 of 3

I see your selling the AF 15 "as is". That's pretty convenient, especially after finding out some of these books are possibly restored. But you probably sell everything "as is" right? It doesn't appear so as those terms aren't outlined in the other auctions I looked at, including the other ones for the CGC graded comics. Odd.

There's a difference, btw, between not knowing and refusing to acknowledge a possibility. What you're doing here falls in to the latter.

I hope you know what you're getting in to if you sell these comics as unrestored and the buyers find out they're anything but.

gossip.gifIt looks as if "we" (this board) are not the only ones asking questions about this sale. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Dear Alice,

I give you credit for facing your so-called accuser and correct me if I'm wrong that you've only been looking into comics for the last few months or whenever you client approached you. I've had four solid years of trying to learn every aspect of this hobby and still have extreme difficulties spotting restoration as do many collectors.

I've seen your few listings so far and notice you post many pictures which is really appreciated, but restoration cannot be spotted through pictures alone, if at all. If you asked many of these boards members you would find many do not buy from e-bay anymore or less and less and more buying is done here off the boards where people's reputation is on the line and the grading is accurate and restoration checks are in many cases done by collectors with over twenty years of experience.

I'm not sure what your statistics about third party grading has anything to do with this debate. A book has either been professionally graded or it hasn't no matter what the e-bay seller chooses to put in their title. If you ask any board member here I believe they would never buy from a e-bay comic book auction where the terms are sold as is or no returns accepted. If you or you client are believers in third party grading tell your client to submit all his books to CGC for proper restoration checks and then sell them.

I think you are trying to be up front about your auctions and your feedback rating is impressive, but you are not a comic book seller. Several board members also sell comic books on e-bay with as many feedbacks and many with 99 % ratings because they specialize in the product they sell, which is comic books.

You say Rocketeer has no measure as impressive, but I believe you are wrong and has his fellow board members judging him on every transaction he makes since he's been an active member since 2003 with many years of collecting experience before that.

One of the main problems with e-bay are there are too many people selling expensive comics books without the proper background or knowledge to do so.

And to put sold as is or ask questions before bidding isn't good enough when you're about to spend your hard earned money on a possibly restored book.

Fay