• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eastman Sells Turtles #1Original Art for a Quarter of a Million Dollars

40 posts in this topic

I know there was a thread about this on ebay about a week ago, but I can't find it. Sorry for starting a new thread otherwise, but saw that it sold this afternoon.

I hope the buyer loves it as much as I would and keeps it toegther for posterity. For the life of me, I can't imagine why Eastman sold it in the first place.

Nate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

Bidder #13 placed an early bid then chickened out last night and retracted his bid. It seems to be that bid that everyone else was trying to beat to push it to that level. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I still dojnt figure Eastman selling the artwork. Didnt he clear like 8 figures from the toys, movies etc etc? I know that was a long time ago, and many years of expensive living, and his other ventures havent gone so well, etc etc .. But, I gotta think he cant need 250K now in trade for the totem that made him what he is today... anyone know anything about this? Apparently this was legit auction.

well, except for the retracted bidder that is...

I still dojnt figure Eastman selling the artwork. Didnt he clear like 8 figures from the toys, movies etc etc? I know that was a long time ago, and many years of expensive living, and his other ventures havent gone so well, etc etc .. But, I gotta think he cant need 250K now in trade for the totem that made him what he is today... anyone know anything about this? Apparently this was legit auction.

well, except for the retracted bidder that is...

I asked the same question in the thread in the OA forum, and there was some discussion/speculation, but at the end of the day I guess we'll never know unless one of the newspapers or other mainstream media players picks up on the story and gets an interview with him. It's hard to conceive that he needs the money, particularly considering the new TMNT movie just opened to $25 million this weekend, and he should get an attendant royalty boost from renewed toy sales and other licensing.

well, that explains a lot. Wonder if that was before the film was a done deal...

yeah, as an earlier poster mentioned, Eastman sold to Laird all of his rights, I guess about four years ago (before the 2nd cartoon series, 2nd toy line and options for the current movie). He had no financial interest in the windfall of the last four+/- years.

Laird mentioned it in his letters page in Volume IV of the current TMNT book he'd been putting out. I was actually proud and happy for Laird because it seemed to me that the one co-creator that really still beilieved in the property ended up with the property.

If anything, I would have liked Laird to have won this original art. Maybe he was unaware it was for sale.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles hits 250,000 !

You still think Action # 1 or Detective 27 wont reach a million ?

I'd rather have the complete OA to TMNT #1 than a copy of Action #1. poke2.gif

Id rather have the complete art to TNMT #1 than GIJoe #21!

So would I, but I'll "settle" for the Joe #21 art plus a boatload of cash (the difference between the two books' respective purchase prices) instead. thumbsup2.gif

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles hits 250,000 !

You still think Action # 1 or Detective 27 wont reach a million ?

I'd rather have the complete OA to TMNT #1 than a copy of Action #1. poke2.gif

me too.

And the thing is, I feel like he gave it away for a song. Considering he originally wanted a cool million (and I wouldn't have sold it at that price), he's only gonna get less than a quarter of that.