• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago Report

96 posts in this topic

The Buckler page was the last page of FF 168 and was $400. The Perez page was an interior page from FF 165 where the Crusader melts through the wall and was $550. The same dealer (Kevin Forbes) had several other Bronze Age FF pages, and had the cover to FF 160. It was $5,000, so I passed.

The Buckler page was the last page of FF 168 and was $400. The Perez page was an interior page from FF 165 where the Crusader melts through the wall and was $550. The same dealer (Kevin Forbes) had several other Bronze Age FF pages, and had the cover to FF 160. It was $5,000, so I passed.

Thanks, Donut!

Wow! Even I could have afforded some of those (the pages... not the cover).

You wouldn't happen to have a snail-mail, e-mail, or phone number for contacting purposes?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Forum dinner was AWESOME. A lot of fun. Thanks PedigreeMan for putting us all together, thanks to Steve, Mark and Paul for coming out from their very busy and productive weekend to attend the most interesting and relaxed CGC forum dinner that I've been to. Great food and great atmosphere and we shared some great stories.

As for the show, I personally had absolutely no time to peruse the show floor. I ended up buying only one thing for myself over the course of the three days (a Mark Bagley Wolverine sketch). Overall, crowds did not seem as large as last year's show, but they were consistant every day.

What I'm amazed about, and I'm surprised that this has hardly been touched upon on the forum (at least not that I can see) is that this weekend saw the start of something completely new to the world of comics grading... ON SITE CERTIFICATION.

The CGC staff worked above and beyond the call of duty to do something which many feel could not be done. And demand was incredible in Chicago for the on-site service as the booth was swamped with people all weekend either picking up or dropping off books, and I get the feeling that a lot of people tried out the service for the first time who have previously been reluctant to ship their books.

The final reports have yet to come in, but I heard from a pretty reliable source that they graded and slabbed over 700 books over the three show days.

Plus, the new labels look really fantastic. Great eye appeal, and the large grade box is a really plus for display purposes.

Two of my travelling companions received 10.0 GEM MINT books on-site. Daryl from 3rd Quadrant Comics - ironically, the first on-site submitter on Friday - received 2 10.0s (Formerly Known as the Justice League #1 and Superman - Batman - Wonder Woman: Trinity #1) and one 9.9 (Batman 612) out of the 20+ books he submitted. The following day Peter from Paradise Comics got two 10.0s (Supreme Power #1 and Thor: Vikings #1). They were both interviewed by Wizard for a future article on the success of the convention grading.

I also saw one indy press creator experience absolute nirvana when he got a 10.0 for the latest issue of his self-published comic that he submitted for display and promotional purposes (I'm sorry but I don't recall the name of his book).

Kev

I went to the Con on Friday looking for SA Marvels, so this post will reflect that point of view. Because I check out the major dealers' websites regularly, I wasn't surprised, for the most part, at what I saw. Lots of nice (8.0 - 9.0) raw material (Harley Yee, Bob Storms, Dave from North Shore Comics, who had a big chunk of the "Cleveland Collection" - nice books, including two ASM #67's in 9.6; Ted from Superworld, etc.). I was hoping Harley still had some HG early Avengers (#12 in 9.4, #7 in 9.2) from the Cleveland run, but they had sold before the con began. Sigh....

I also saw lots of great comic art even though I don't collect it. Plenty of clean action pages and even some bronze Marvel covers I had as a kid. I was tempted to ask how much the cover to Iron Man #88 was but didn't; I couldn't allow myself to be swayed from finding a nice high-grade SA key.

(On a side note, being at the Con made me want to know more about all comics of all ages, which reminded me why I love reading these forums, especially the Gold-Bronze-Modern threads. One can never learn too much, in my opinion.)

After walking the Con for about five hours, I had some decisions to make. I decided I couldn't afford Metropolis's FF #6 in CGC 9.2 (the price was high and the grade maybe a bit soft IMO). I looked at their ASM #24 (9.4) as well, but it was a Winnipeg and Dennis's name was all over the top of the book. Metro also had a very pretty White Mountain JIM #88 that they had graded NM (not slabbed), but it had a printing crease on the front cover and the spine wasn't ideal, so again I refrained. I also passed on Bob's ASM #39 in 9.6, a utterly gorgeous book, because of funding issues (even though he was willing to work something out.)

So what did I get? Surprisingly, Ted from Superworld had a beautiful Avengers #1 (graded!) in 8.5 - perfect centering, vibrant colors, especially the reds and blues - it looked 9.0 or 9.2. I bought it along with an Avengers #49 (9.4) that looked NM+. Ted made the transaction easy and fun. Then I dropped a down payment on Bob's X-Men #12 (9.4) that also had great color and eye appeal. Thanks, Ted and Bob, for making my con a big success.

The dinner that evening was terrific. Thanks again to Alan (pedigreeman) for all his work organizing the event, and to Steve and Mark and all the CGC'ers who bought the dinner. Morton's was a nice place to eat (my first time there), and having our own room off the main floor made the evening all the more enjoyable. I hope I can join you all again next year! grin.gif

Dan

The Avengers 49 was mine.....i traded it to Ted for some others for an ASM 47 and 59 in 9.4 - Congrads on the Avengers.....I thought it was a 9.0-9.2 when I saw it ungraded....

It was great seeing everyone who attended the dinner and the conversation as always was great. The show was very nice and there were some great costumes as well.

Maximum values & regular prices (Florida "in-house" grading):

Economy value: up to $250, cost: $29.00

Standard value: up to $1000, cost: $49.00

Express value: up to $4000, cost: $79.00

Walkthru comic value: no value limit or limitation, cost: 2.5% F.M.V.††

Modern comic value: up to $200

But...wouldn't all of them have been "walk through"?

This was a common misconception people had at the show.

Normally when you select the walk-thru tier - the book rushed to the front of the line - and it usually isn't worth doing unless you have a quality book that merits that kind of service (like an Action 1). It isn't ideal to keep those books on-site for long considering their fair market value. What if there was a fire of a theft?

Normally you submit at shows or thru the mail using the existing tiers based on the value of the book and the books are mailed back to you when they are done.

CGC chose to replicate the various tiers at show, offering the same services for a slightly elevated price and promising that the books would be done on-site same day or next day. The books weren't walked thru... they were taken to a closed room on-site graded and slabbed using the normal procedures.

If, at the show, you selected Express or Walk-thru then your books went to the top of the list and were done faster for pretty much the same reasons you would submit using those tiers - high end comics of either scarcity and/or high-grade.

Kev

It depended on when you submitted - they got pretty backed up as a lot of people sent stuff in. I, for example, dropped stuff off on Friday afternoon and it was ready Saturday afternoon. Still pretty good though.

Submitting 5 moderns for walk through at $100 was cheaper than doing it by the mail, even with a 20% discount - no shipping! BTW, grades on my books: Thor 337 9.4, Chamber of Chills 22 30 cent variant 8.5 white, Rawhide Kid 133 30 cent variant 7.5 white, Rawhide Kid 134 30 cent variant 7.5 white, Thor 337 9.0 white (grrrrrrrr). I kind of like the new label.

Most of Friday's submission weren't done until Saturday. Most of Saturdays weren't done until Sunday. Books were going in and out regularly.

Daryl was the first guy to submit - he dropped his off on Thursday night and they were back by lunchtime on Friday. Peter dropped his first batch off on Friday early afternoon and they were ready by Saturday morning. However they were dealing with moderns.

Sheer volume led to the necessity of capping the service to only Express and Walk-Thru by early afternoon on Saturday. Actor/CGC Signature Series Mark Bagley books were accepted on Friday and Saturday only - with the first of Friday's books ready by 5:30 PM on Saturday. No books were accepted for on-site on Sunday.

Kev