• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VALUE of FAMOUS MONSTERS Magazines???

20 posts in this topic

Hi gang,

It's somehwat off-topic since they are not comic magazines, but I didn't know where else to go.

Could anyone tell me where I can find of listing of FAMOUS MONSTERS and their "value" by issue/grade? I just picked some up as a part of a collection, and I believe I have some scarce issues (pre-1964). I looked on Ebay, and found some of them, but I'd like as many references as possible before offering them for sale.

Thanks!

Google is your friend.

However, this is really all I found.

http://www.hippocketsleaze.freewebspace.com/photo3.html

Monsters Among Us

by Michael W. Pierce (Monsters Among Us, 1995)

Comprehensive price guide to monster magazines, with cover repros of almost every issue featured, and a color fold-out featuring Famous Monsters of Filmland. Prices are bound to be a little out of date by now, but still an excellent reference source.

No idea if it was ever updated.

Ebay is probably your best bet to get general values. I have the same problem as I have no idea how to value the ones I have. Also keep in mind that there is a Magazine section under "Comics - Magazines" and under "Books - Magazine back issues" category. the Famous Monsters mags on ebay are sold more often under books rather tahn comics.

Also, you can bet that the value of classic covers vs boring covers is a huge difference. Overstreet has missed this type of thing with war and horror comics for years.

eg. Which one of these consecutive issues would you rather have?

scan0055.jpg

scan0056.jpg

This isn't a price guide for raw issues by any means, but GPAnalysis does list statistics for sales of CGC graded copies of Famous Monsters. I had some slabbed after CGC started doing magazines and it was helpful to look up the sales on GPA in order to price them.

Oh, and even though they are not comic-oriented, Famous Monsters mags are some of the most enjoyable, guilty pleasure magazines you can read. I grin like a giddy 10 year old again when I go back and read Forry Ackermonsters editorials and cheesy stuff in the old issues I have. He was the Stan Lee of monster mags, to be sure!! cloud9.gif

headbang.gif

--Steve

Oh and there is a collectible magazine price guide.

Collectible Magazines: Identification and Price Guide, 2e (Paperback)

by David K. Henkel

2nd edition came out in 2000. Again, a little out of date but might be the best option, or at least worth a 2nd opinion if you look at the Monsters Among Us guide that was mentioned.

It's available on Amazon.

--Steve

I've not seen any guides for these books....but in talking to a major collector once about them....he noted that there is a major premium paid for certain early issues that had a coupon on the back cover...intact and nonfilled coupons that is.

Just to be clear, this price guide does say it contains prices for Famous Monsters of Filmland magazines thumbsup2.gif

Oh and there is a collectible magazine price guide.

Collectible Magazines: Identification and Price Guide, 2e (Paperback)

by David K. Henkel

2nd edition came out in 2000. Again, a little out of date but might be the best option, or at least worth a 2nd opinion if you look at the Monsters Among Us guide that was mentioned.

It's available on Amazon.

--Steve

D'oh! Okay. I had read precode Keith's post incorrectly. I thought he was stating that there was a price guide magazine on sale every month. That's what I get for trying to read too fast.

I own the '95 Monsters Among Us guide, and it's nice to flip through. The author lists a few choice fanzines & related mags too.

the best FMs are #1, 3, 4, 5, 6, especially if the spines are unsplit. #4 & 6 tend to be the most expensive after #1, though #3 is no slouch. Later good #'s include #12, 20, 21, 22, 26, 30, 38, 46

Well, I picked up #22, 27, and the 1962 Yearbook. Sadly, the cover is almost completely split on the #27, but I'm happy to have picked them up for less than $10CDN for the lot. yay.gif

I have used these two guides and found them most informative although prices listed are now obsolete; they are used just for run info and reference.

847846-CollectorsGuidetoMonsterMags.jpg

847846-MonsterMag%232.jpg

Those would be the ones I was thinking of, Jay! thumbsup2.gif

Good point about the pricing getting out of touch. Basically, in this field, if you don't update at LEAST once a year, your guide isn't going to reflect true market value. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Later good #'s include #12, 20, 21, 22, 26, 30, 38, 46

I've never noticed any premium for #30 over the others.

#11 is right there with #12 though as a troubling spine issue.

#114 is of course the best in the 100s.

And for post Forry issues, #203 and #238 seem to go very well.