• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long-Time Lurker, (Almost) First Time Poster, (Not So Recent) SS Collector

11 posts in this topic

Had the day off work today and started to scan some of my CC SS books. I thought I'd share some of the (very poor) scans and make a proper introduction after losing my non-lurker status about 2 weeks ago . My intent was always to lurk so that I could see all the cool stuff and gain some knowledge while staying out of useless, stupid, petty flame wars. I'll post occasionally but I'll stick to my original strategy grin.gif

I'm yet another boardie who is from the Toronto area. I have been a comic collector since 1982. Since 1989 I have also collected sports cards and sports memorabillia but my first true love and passion are comics. The majority of my comic purchases are made at my 2 LCS' with the occasional Blue Label or Yellow Label and some raw books/trades via eBay.

Until August, 2006 I had not attended a comic convention since 1989. Deciding to see what the fuss was all about, I went to both Paradise's 1 day show and the 3 day Fan Expo and dicovered how much I missed attending shows. Around this time I was also looking for a collection focus to compliment my Basketball Hall Of Fame Inductees autograph collection. I spoke with Kevin Boyd at the August show and then exchanged e-mails with him with follow-up questions. I started reading these boards more often to gain additional insight and information before I decided that in January, 2007 I would start submitting comics from my own personal collection for SS.

One of the other reasons I have decided to shed the lurker status was because of my first contacts with Kris (thecollector) and Tiz (comicfreak) via PM. When you are registered as long as I have been and have no posts, I guess it throws up some caution flags foreheadslap.gif

Here's the timeline on my conversion into a full-blown CGC SShead

I bought my first Signature Series book about 18 months ago...CGC 9.6 Mage #6 with Matt Wagner's signature and a Grendel headsketch - given my username, destiny or what? cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

mage6_cgcss_matt_wagner_hs.jpg

My second SS book - a big Neal Adams fan and a CGC SS 9.0 at a sweet price... didn't realize that Neal signed it twice...once in silver sharpie (on a silver background!!) and then he 'Greg Land' it in a black sharpie foreheadslap.gif Should I crack it to add Nick Cardy? confused-smiley-013.gif

flash_219_cgcss.jpg

The 3rd book and my first (of many to come) multi-signed books - JSA Classified #1 (2nd Print) with Geoff Johns, Adam Hughes, Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti. Palmiotti 'inked' Powergirl.

jsaclassified_cgcss_quad.jpg

My first CGC 9.9 hail.gif via Paradise and its a Dave Sim one too yay.gif but its Gun Fu #1 and not any one of the 300 Cerebus comics yeahok.gif

gunfu_cgc_ss.jpg

And my first completed submission: Amazing Spider-Man #300 CGC SS 9.4. Many thanks to Kris for helping me gets this one. In addition, special thanks to Kevin and Tiz for bringing it back instead of letting USPS/CanPost work their magic..

asm300_cgcss_toddmac.jpg

And for the last scan, my pick-up from this past weekend's Paradise show - a Powers CGC SS 9.4 signed and sketched by Michael Avon Oeming and signed and 'written' by Brian Michael Bendis. It has, umm, been edited because I don't feel like being banned after my second post devil.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

powers_11_cgc_ss_edited.jpg

Presently there are over 50 books of mine ( and more to come during the convention season) in various stages of CGC/SS production and as I get them in, I'll post them . Before I end this unbelieveably long post, I'd like to thank some of the people who have helped me through my initial SS stage:

Chris (1,000,000 Comix ) - for listing the Mage #6 that spawned a new collection

Kevin Boyd/ Peter Dixon (Paradise) - for answering all of my initial questions and for accepting my first ever personal CGC/SS submission... can't wait to see the Stan Lee signed comic when it comes back

Carlos (Shockwave) - bought a couple of SS books from him but only got to meet him in person on Sunday...thanks for the books.

Kris (thecollector) - for taking a 'chance' on the 5 year old, zero post board 'newbie'

and lastly, to Tiz (comicfreak) for not once losing patience with me with all of the inane questions I had about SS rules ( and I had/have a lot). Also for getting all these books done for me. Your help and assistance is appreciated. Hopefully this public declaration of thanks makes up for the public embarrassment and shame I caused you by submitting that one book for Bolland to sign stooges.gif Good luck at Emerald City this weekend....hope you are able to get me what I really want 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Ty,

Great to hear from you. There are many parallels to your story and mine, including being out of the scene, in my case, since 1993. I also got heavy into sportscards. The combination of CGC and Ebay has been completely blowing me away for about two years. I have submitted 30 of my own books and have upgraded a bunch via Ebay, Heritage, C-Link,etc.

But the real showstopper for me has been discovering SS. Peter and Tiz and (soon to be) Jon all have books of mine being SS'd as we speak. I have culled two longboxes of stuff that I want to get SS'd. The crazy thing is that I feel like I need to do these as fast as possible, what with the untimely passing of Marshall Rogers and just now finding out that Jim Aparo had passed away. They were two of my top five or six artists.

Good luck with your collection. PM me if you are ever looking for anything in particular or if you have duplicates to get rid of. cool.gif

--Sean.

Thanks everyone.

Ty,

Great to hear from you. There are many parallels to your story and mine, including being out of the scene, in my case, since 1993. I also got heavy into sportscards. The combination of CGC and Ebay has been completely blowing me away for about two years. I have submitted 30 of my own books and have upgraded a bunch via Ebay, Heritage, C-Link,etc.

But the real showstopper for me has been discovering SS. Peter and Tiz and (soon to be) Jon all have books of mine being SS'd as we speak. I have culled two longboxes of stuff that I want to get SS'd. The crazy thing is that I feel like I need to do these as fast as possible, what with the untimely passing of Marshall Rogers and just now finding out that Jim Aparo had passed away. They were two of my top five or six artists.

Good luck with your collection. PM me if you are ever looking for anything in particular or if you have duplicates to get rid of. cool.gif

--Sean.

Parallels are extremely similar ( except I was still collecting through the 90's , just not going to cons and the like) SS is addicitve. I first approached Tiz because he was going to Orlando in January and Matt Wagner was going to be there. At that time I was looking at maybe submitting 50 books for the year. By the time the NYCC hit, I had given Tiz almost 40 books for SS lol. And he has taken another 13 NEW books to Emerald City. I have gone through about 1/4 of my collection so far and have 4 short boxes for potential SS... this is not going to end up being pretty. And it doesn't help that the SS guys are too damn helpful 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm mainly just going after single copies of comics I want for my personal collection (Ben Edlund where are you?) so no doubles of anything yet. But one thing this excercise has taught me is that some of my comics I thought of being in prime condition are not that great 10-15 years later 893censored-thumb.gif

Dude I want that "Powers" book *spoon* now I want to start a collection of SS books that have foul language on them

Sorry, its not for sale but that would be a interesting collection to see once you start on it grin.gif

I own the one and only Ben Edlund SS book it is a random issue of tick it got a 9.0 due to damage which occured about 10 minutes after it was signed He makes very few appearances. He also did a sketch of the tick for me. he might be at san diego again this year but I doubt it and he is hardly at his table. The only reason I got my book autographed was because a fellow autograph collector tipped me off that he was about to be at his booth.

I hadn't seen any books and in researching convention guests over the last two years I never once saw his name. I guess one is better than my 'zero' estimate. Ouch on the damage.

I own the one and only Ben Edlund SS book it is a random issue of tick it got a 9.0 due to damage which occured about 10 minutes after it was signed He makes very few appearances. He also did a sketch of the tick for me. he might be at san diego again this year but I doubt it and he is hardly at his table. The only reason I got my book autographed was because a fellow autograph collector tipped me off that he was about to be at his booth.

Why did you stick it in your back pocket Kris?

I hadn't seen any books and in researching convention guests over the last two years I never once saw his name. I guess one is better than my 'zero' estimate. Ouch on the damage.

It is a sticker pull no paper was torn but the cover got a ripple because of it. His name wasn't on a list he showed up at San Diego unannounced and a fellow collector told me where he was gonna be he was there for about 30 minutes. it was a very limited oppurtunity and if I weren't such a fan of the tick I wouldn't have bothered.