• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emerald City Comicon, WA April 1/07 review, pics

40 posts in this topic

Had a pleasant 3 hr drive from Vancouver, BC to downtown Seattle, WA for the 2 day Emerald City comicon March 31 to April 1/07. Got there at 9:20 a.m (doors opened to public at 10:00 a.m), to learn that the Melvin collection was being blown out.

If I did not stop at Denny's for their greasy sausage breakfast, I may have had 1st crack at the comics. Got there 20 mins too late, as full-time dealer John Hauser had already scooped about 120 clean SA DC and some SA Marvel comics. I had to satiate myself by buying some of Hauser's REJECTS from Melvin:

P4010122.jpg

The comicon was a complete success. I would estimate attendance to be at least 2,600 ppl on the 1st day.

Steady line up for artist Gene Ha who may be drawing hot Capt America comic, but what do I know cause I don't buy new Marvels anymore.

Convention very well layed out with wide aisles for the sweaty throngs. Major guests were at the different corners of artist alley. I was able to get Mike Golden to autograph my Batman Family art page.

Long, steady line up for Frank Cho's 1st visit to the Seattle area. Could not find the Fantagraphics booth as I was looking for art by Peter Bagge (Hate). Big crowd in artist alley blocked my search for actress Margot Kidder.

Tim Sale seemed to have the longest line up now that he is drawing storyboards for NBC tv hot show Heroes. All his Heroes originals were "on hold for Ken." Outstanding pencils with shading. Tim was doing brush work sketches for fans and immediately filled his sketch list for the day after 10 mins.

There may have been 1 Tim Sale 9th Wonders (female evil twin character) cover art for sale but it was not priced and was not to my taste. Line up must have been about 40 mins for Tim.

Ronnie, Terry's Comics from northern CA, and Harley were sharing an end cap booth. If u squint, in the center of this pic is greggy trading a 6 pack of Cdn brewskis to Ronnie (in lime shirt) for an X-men 101 9.4 raw.

P3310118.jpg

I did the rounds and went back to the Melvin collection. I usually don't buy junky Marvels but broke down and bought a run of taped BA Capt Americas that I had never read before.

P4010121.jpg

I was shopping for some Fox and Crow, but bought some Funny Stuff to sample instead:

P4010120.jpg

I went upstairs to look for the USM 100 art auction booth but all I could find were some overpriced union hot dogs and pizza slices.

Went back down to chat with Ronnie who showed me his hi-grade behind the table books. Found 5 hi-grade raw copies of X-men 101. greggy was slightly perturbed as he did not get access to that box before I did and he had been standing at his booth for an hour already.

greggy informed me that System of the Down was in da house. I knew right away, I had no chance to scoop up 1 of the 10 HERO Initiative covers. Finally found the USM 100 booth with the balance of the 50 of 100 covers for sale/bid. Noted that Borock was thrill bidding $200 across the board, but it's all good as it goes towards the HERO charity:

P3310119.jpg

As I was leaving the comicon for lunch, Harley Yee was debating with Ronnie if they wanted olives with their large non-union pizza from across the street. This had to smuggled into the con under your jacket, as only in-house produced or sold food, juice and snacks could be consumed inside the union convention center.

Nothing else I heard during the comicon, can be disclosed upon the fragile ears of CGC forumites. devil.gifyay.gif

Michael Golden's agent/helper asked all the collectors who had vintage 70s or 80s comic bk art to get signed to kindly scan the bristol board at 100% 300 dpi to email to her for his archives.

P2230091.jpg

Nice. What's the Melvin Collection?

A nice dealer stock of primarily SA/BA DC and some SA/BA Marvels with doubles being dispersed by Seattle collector D Melvin for an average 75% off Ostreet. I expect his entire table excluding wall comics to be sold by April 1/07 of the comicon. gossip.gif

I just got back.

I think I would have had more fun if I knew some people.

The only fun I had was:

*Telling a first time submitter at the CGC booth to call CGC on Tuesday and get a status, and if it's not call once per day till it's done.

*Checking out Harley's Tec 4 and CMA 3.

saw and chatted with Power Girl that was pretty cool (photo anyone?????), covered the floor with comics4kids fliers and got a few tasties for my John Byrne archives.

Caught Frank Cho at the last minute and talked about the special secrets inside upcoming Marvel Max treatment of Shanna the She-Devil extended HC.

Toasted Michael Golden on his body of work, and he thanked me for a piece of my personal hell.

Hi to Harley, Conrad & Jayne, local LCS (Tacoma) COMIC BOOK INK's John Munn, and ran into the Boss himself (SB) looking as fit and trim as his lovely assistant Paul Litch working the CGC booth, they had an awesome Ed Brubaker signing.

So my best girl Chandi had fun in her first comic show, and my henchman Damien worked the floor with zeal and only asked for a Halo 2 action figure in return. (he got it)

I look forward to hearing everyone else's tales!

I always enjoy reading Con reports. Thanks for taking the time to sare your experience.

And regarding yourHauser's REJECTS, It does suck to be a bridesmaid as a result of a sausage breakfast!

Sounds like you still managed to have a good time though.

Ze-

Did you happen to see my Buxom Assistant???

She was in the artist's alley... probably with multi-colored hair... confused-smiley-013.gif

No

Did you happen to see my Buxom Assistant???

She was in the artist's alley... probably with multi-colored hair... confused-smiley-013.gif

No

Thnx for clearing that up.

Ze-

I did see She-Hulk.

She was roughly 5'8, around a not so firm 240 lbs, had short cut-off frayed jeans, a denim cut top and green paint smeared all over.

That was Greggy! makepoint.gif

sumo.gif