• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ADVENTURE 247 ON COMICLINK

98 posts in this topic

Haven't stirred up anything recently when I saw this. 9.2 Mohawk at $35,000! Ignoring that the book looks more like an 8.0 than a 9.2, does anyone else think this to be insane? Of course, as a comic book collector and lover I wouldn't pay $35 for this book as I think it's simply a terrible comic and most of you know I can't stand the Legion until after around 1968 or so. As a collector/investor I recognize the book has some importance but can think of a LOT of other books I'd rather have than this at $35,000. I know there are some of you Legion fans out there but you pale in numbers to not just Marvel fans/investors but other DC titles. Just off the top of my head i'd rather have B&B 28,34 JLA 1,9, Showcase 4,8,17,34,57,60, Atom 1, Action 252 Adventure 210. Literally 100's of Gold or Marvels I'd rather invest in. So ok Legoin fans, tell me why I have my head wedged.

keith contarino

Haven't stirred up anything recently when I saw this. 9.2 Mohawk at $35,000! Ignoring that the book looks more like an 8.0 than a 9.2, does anyone else think this to be insane? Of course, as a comic book collector and lover I wouldn't pay $35 for this book as I think it's simply a terrible comic and most of you know I can't stand the Legion until after around 1968 or so. As a collector/investor I recognize the book has some importance but can think of a LOT of other books I'd rather have than this at $35,000. I know there are some of you Legion fans out there but you pale in numbers to not just Marvel fans/investors but other DC titles. Just off the top of my head i'd rather have B&B 28,34 JLA 1,9, Showcase 4,8,17,34,57,60, Atom 1, Action 252 Adventure 210. Literally 100's of Gold or Marvels I'd rather invest in. So ok Legoin fans, tell me why I have my head wedged.

keith contarino

Hi Keith,

Looks like Robert Roter is cashing in and consigning all of his big books to Comiclink to see if any buyers (suckers) are willing to pony up. At those prices, fat chance. Mohawk Valley is one of the few pedigrees I would say doesn't measure up. The page quality of these books is horrible.

It's worth much more than $35, but at $35,000, Robert will be begging for offers for a long time.

Brent

keith contarino

ditto. ditto. ditto on all counts old man.

A bona fide DC SA key that just fails to excite. Id go 17.5 tops, and still sweat it out longterm that anyone would buy it from me someday at that price. Roter's gotta be scratching his head wondering "why" oh why cant this sell like all the other early SA DC keys??

I think $35K for a 9.2 copy of Adventure 247 is a GREAT price and I would be delighted if someone buys it at that price! It's the first appearance of one of DC's most important, popular and longest-running super hero teams. Who cares if the story itself is nothing great. A lot of first appearances were not great stories in and of themselves. They are coveted because they are first appearances of important characters (where presumably the stories improved later on, which is why they became popular and important).

Add to that the fact that this issue is unbelievably difficult to find in high grade. In all my years of collecting, I've only seen ONE copy that I rated as better than VF. ONE. In the interest of full disclosure, I should state that I own that ONE copy. grin.gif

By the way Keith, I agree with all of your choices for highly desirable DCs to own. But I don't think owning one precludes owning another. I would just as soon own them all!

keith contarino

Hi Keith,

Looks like Robert Roter is cashing in and consigning all of his big books to Comiclink to see if any buyers (suckers) are willing to pony up. At those prices, fat chance. Mohawk Valley is one of the few pedigrees I would say doesn't measure up. The page quality of these books is horrible.

It's worth much more than $35, but at $35,000, Robert will be begging for offers for a long time.

Brent

I saw the book shortly after it was won from the Sotheby's auction and it most certainly is not an 8.0. It's no suprise to me that it graded out as 9.2 as that's what I saw it as. The PQ is at the low end range of what's acceptable to me and I'm generally seen as being fairly picking about PQ. There are plenty of tanned/bad PQ Mohawks but that's not one of them.

keith contarino

A bona fide DC SA key that just fails to excite. Id go 17.5 tops, and still sweat it out longterm that anyone would buy it from me someday at that price. Roter's gotta be scratching his head wondering "why" oh why cant this sell like all the other early SA DC keys??

Yeah, but you've been behind the pricing curve on DC SA keys for a few years now. Thankfully for me. thumbsup2.gif

BTW, Robert Roter is many things but stupid is not one of them. I doubt he's pricing this book at a price he actually thinks it will sell at (although I note it's much lower than his $50K asking price on his website). If anyone actually ever jumped on his initial asking price he would tear out his hair (what's left of it) for the next decade over pricing the book too low.

keith contarino

Yeah, but you've been behind the pricing curve on DC SA keys for a few years now. Thankfully for me. thumbsup2.gif

BTW, Robert Roter is many things but stupid is not one of them. I doubt he's pricing this book at a price he actually thinks it will sell at (although I note it's much lower than his $50K asking price on his website). If anyone actually ever jumped on his initial asking price he would tear out his hair (what's left of it) for the next decade over pricing the book too low.

Wonder if it's worth a punishment bid. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

poke2.gif

For well over a decade nearly everyone in comics has dismissed/condemned wholesale the Mohawk Valley collection and I'm sure will continue to do so. I think it is a shame. Whilst true that perhaps half or more of the books suffer from poorer page quality, it is equally true that many of the books from this collection are amongst the best available for certain issues and do not deserve to be poo-pooed out of hand. I was lucky enough to see the Adventure Comics run and whilst most are technically similar some are magnificent examples. Owners having them graded would perhaps be tempted not to state their pedigree due to the negative stigma attached, but rather let each book be judged on its own merit.

keith contarino

Hi Keith,

Brent

Hi, I've bought one of his books listed on clink, and during the bidding, he came down a fair way.

I suspect he is making use of the bidding structure in place on the clink, where the first bid has to equal or exceed 50% of the listing price. Which in the case makes it $17,500. Which is a realistic price, though, I profoundly think he wouldn't accept that amount.

For well over a decade nearly everyone in comics has dismissed/condemned wholesale the Mohawk Valley collection and I'm sure will continue to do so. I think it is a shame. Whilst true that perhaps half or more of the books suffer from poorer page quality, it is equally true that many of the books from this collection are amongst the best available for certain issues and do not deserve to be poo-pooed out of hand. I was lucky enough to see the Adventure Comics run and whilst most are technically similar some are magnificent examples. Owners having them graded would perhaps be tempted not to state their pedigree due to the negative stigma attached, but rather let each book be judged on its own merit.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I guess there are some/many MVs that I haven't seen. Maybe the majority of the copies that are nice are sitting in private collections and only the poorer page quality books get released.

The page quality/tanning would automatically preclude the books from attaining pedigree status but that's just me.

I think the Adventure 247 is probably worth 20-25K.

I would agree with that assessment.

I guess I don't due to the fact that there is a 9.4 and a 9.6 out there. While I love the Legion as much as anyone I don't think the market will pay out for this 9.2 the kind of money you guys are talking about. I think 10-12 tops on that copy.

Metro has a raw 8.0 (pretty copy) for 5K, they also have a slabbed 8.5 for 7.7K. A 6.0 slabbed just went on eBay for 1300ish.

The fact that Tim has a high grade copy and Ian has one as well kind of shows that this book isn't as scarce as Overstreet used to proclaim it was. We now have 3 copies 8.0 or better for sale right now on the market, plus a mid grade (5.0) on Comiclink.

So while Tim would love to see that 9.2 go for a record price due to him owning a nice copy as well, I would like to see it tank since I don't have my copy yet. devil.gif

I guess I don't due to the fact that there is a 9.4 and a 9.6 out there. While I love the Legion as much as anyone I don't think the market will pay out for this 9.2 the kind of money you guys are talking about. I think 10-12 tops on that copy.

Metro has a raw 8.0 (pretty copy) for 5K, they also have a slabbed 8.5 for 7.7K. A 6.0 slabbed just went on eBay for 1300ish.

The fact that Tim has a high grade copy and Ian has one as well kind of shows that this book isn't as scarce as Overstreet used to proclaim it was. We now have 3 copies 8.0 or better for sale right now on the market, plus a mid grade (5.0) on Comiclink.

So while Tim would love to see that 9.2 go for a record price due to him owning a nice copy as well, I would like to see it tank since I don't have my copy yet. devil.gif

This book reminds me of a TOS #39

TOS #39s:

8.5s sell for 7 - 9K

9.0s sell for 12-14K

9.2s sell for 18-20K

Combine that with the fact that there are very few HG #247s and I think that 20K+ is reachable fairly easily.

I guess there are some/many MVs that I haven't seen. Maybe the majority of the copies that are nice are sitting in private collections and only the poorer page quality books get released.

Usually the case. None of the pedigree collections that I'm aware of have copies in uniformly the same condition -- they vary up and down from the norm.

TOS #39s:

8.5s sell for 7 - 9K

9.0s sell for 12-14K

9.2s sell for 18-20K

Combine that with the fact that there are very few HG #247s and I think that 20K+ is reachable fairly easily.

Sorry Brent, but I can't agree. You saying that Iron man's first appearance and the LSH are roughly the same? I don't think there are nearly the amount of Legion collectors as there are people who would want Iron Man's first appearance.

Also, look at how many nice copies are for sale...sitting....is there that many TOS 39's sitting on websites in HG waiting for sales?

TOS #39s:

8.5s sell for 7 - 9K

9.0s sell for 12-14K

9.2s sell for 18-20K

Sorry Brent, but I can't agree. You saying that Iron man's first appearance and the LSH are roughly the same? I don't think there are nearly the amount of Legion collectors as there are people who would want Iron Man's first appearance.

Also, look at how many nice copies are for sale...sitting....is there that many TOS 39's sitting on websites in HG waiting for sales?

If the asking price of the Adv. #247 9.2 dropped to the TOS 39 9.2 range of 20k it wouldn't be sitting on a website either. Or if the TOS 39 asking price was 35K, it might be sitting a while. insane.gif

Census for TOS 39

2 in 9.6

3 in 9.4

12 in 9.2

Census for Adv. 247

1 in 9.6

1 in 9.4

1 in 9.2

So, although the desirability of the TOS 39 is much greater (ie more collectors want it), the scarcity of the Adv 247 more than makes up for that fact. In other words, there may be 50 high grade TOS 39 collectors but there needs to be only 5 HG Adv. 247 collectors to make this number work.

2006 OSPG TOS 39 9.2: $9,500

2006 OSPG Adv. 247 9.2: $8,500

TOS #39s:

8.5s sell for 7 - 9K

9.0s sell for 12-14K

9.2s sell for 18-20K

If the asking price of the Adv. #247 9.2 dropped to the TOS 39 9.2 range of 20k it wouldn't be sitting on a website either. Or if the TOS 39 asking price was 35K, it might be sitting a while. insane.gif

Census for TOS 39

2 in 9.6

3 in 9.4

12 in 9.2

Census for Adv. 247

1 in 9.6

1 in 9.4

1 in 9.2

So, although the desirability of the TOS 39 is much greater (ie more collectors want it), the scarcity of the Adv 247 more than makes up for that fact. In other words, there may be 50 high grade TOS 39 collectors but there needs to be only 5 HG Adv. 247 collectors to make this number work.

2006 OSPG TOS 39 9.2: $9,500

2006 OSPG Adv. 247 9.2: $8,500

Brutal set of stats on the relative census disparity.

Census disparity would be more relavent if the demand for each of those books in top grade was same. Does anyone really belive that if the third best ADV 247 went for say 20K, what would you expect the 9.4 or 9.6 to bring...multiples of that? I am saying the demand for that book is such that people would find the 8.0 raw copy on metro or the 8.5 slabbed copy a relative bargain since the book exists in far fewer numbers than a Marvel key.

I really think this is an apples/orange comparison. But hey...what do I know shy.gif

I have one MV in my collection, Batman 126. It has Cream pages (just cream, not cream to off white). All MV books I have seen are page challenged and the interior covers can be pretty tan. I have also not seen all the books in this collection, but that has been my experience with them.