• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think a CGC 1.5 is still collectible?

60 posts in this topic

I recently sent in an All Star 8 and it came back a 1.5 Universal cream to off white. The book is complete. Do you think it is still a collectible?

Absolutely.

In fact it seems so obvious to me I am amazed anyone would even ask.

The first appearance of a household name character, golden age book, far more scarce than silver age counterparts.

Comics did not become valuable collectors items because people gushed over their condition. People collected them because they had impact on popular culture.

Condition heightens desirability, that's all. And if people tell you this won't increase as fast as a high grade book, well it all sort of depends on what it cost you to get the high grade book in the first place, doesn't it. And whether the grade is correct, etc. And -- most of all -- it depends on whether you're comparing a low grade All-Star 8 with a high grade All-star 8. Don't get sucked into comparing a low grade all-star 8 with, say, a bronze age book that is tremendously common in high grade.

I would take that out of its holder. The hyper focus on high grade as if it matters more than content or rarity makes it virtually pointless to keep low grade books in slabs.

It's all a matter of personal taste but many books I see that are 1.5 or below have such cruddy eye appeal as to make them uncollectible to me personally.

I just like my books to have at least some eye appeal. confused-smiley-013.gif

If it satisfies your desires it is worth it. If you not buying for investment and the price is right for you and the condition meets your satisfaction then I cannot see why you would not buy a book. We all make exceptions to our collecting criteria.

I recently sent in an All Star 8 and it came back a 1.5 Universal cream to off white. The book is complete. Do you think it is still a collectible?
Yes and No.

It's all a matter of personal taste but many books I see that are 1.5 or below have such cruddy eye appeal as to make them uncollectible to me personally.

I just like my books to have at least some eye appeal. confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree with all of this! Some flaws are worse than others (example: I hate names on covers, so a 6.0 with a name is not as good for me as a 5.0 without) Also as others have said, certain books it is "ok" to have in that grade, for example I have a Funny Pages Vol 3 #10 in 2.5 and it's mostly 2.5 because it has a dog ear chuck missing from the back bottom cover. Still a solid book and looks much higher than the 2.5, also how many of us can afford those rare books anymore? I know I can't drop 100K frown.gif

Q: Do you think a CGC 1.5 is still collectible?

A: That would depend on the comic and the overall appearance.

There are 1.5s that are brittle and look like trash. That I wouldn't really consider collectible (even for a key GA issue). But there are 1.5s with decent page quality (cream/offwhite or better) that present well for that grade or have decent front covers with the defects on the back cover. There are plenty of GA keys that I would love to own in that condition.

I haven't owned a 1.5 in a slab, but I had a 2.0 JLA #1, not GA, but early SA.... and, well, the thing looked pretty darn good for that grade. No rips, just a fair amount of generalized "wear", but no pieces out or anything, cream pages, maybe a little pencil on the cover. I think CGC might have been tough on that one and it should have been a 3.0, so it really depends on the book. usually they're more liberal with GA material though, so I don't know if you'll find 1.5 - 2.os that look as good as that one did.

post the scan, i'm curious what the 1.5 looks like

brittle pages are a problem, but I've sold books in a slab with "slightly brittle" or whatever they use. i had to discount them a little more, but people paid real money.

as an aside, do you mean "collectible" (heck, people here collect comics out of the 25 cent box) or "investment quality"?

My response to the "investment" question is that it all depends on what you paid. I bought 5 beat to heck Captain Marvel Fawcetts a while back for $10 at my LCS. Detached covers, soiling, etc. Probably 1.0 material. They were in a binder and the shop owner didn't want to attempt to extract them from their binder pages out of fear they'd disintergrate further. I sold them each for $10-$20. That's a decent "investment" I think, even if it's only small change.

I'll chime in and agree. It all depends on the book. My ASM #1 is a .5 CGC, but I'm happy to have it. I'd be lucky if my AF 15 rated a 1.5, and I'm also very fond of it.

However, I would also think about having the book restored. If it's a good resto candidate (post a picture?), I'd spend the $500-$2000 it'd cost to make it beautiful. Then you'll enjoy it much more, and the book will last longer. Just get lots of "before" pictures and a report of the work done. It'll be part of the book's provenance from now on.

My AF 15 will be getting the treatment, and I can't wait. smile.gif

Spawn # 8? NO, All Star # 8, you bet!

I have an ASM #129 thats probably a 1.5, but I'm hoping higher, that I was going to have graded just to keep it from getting any worse. And because it's a cool cover no matter what condition. headbang.gif

Hell I'll take just the cover of some books and still be very happy with them. I've also paid decent prices for coverless books which are .5 and yes they are in the collection.

I have an ASM #129 thats probably a 1.5, but I'm hoping higher, that I was going to have graded just to keep it from getting any worse. And because it's a cool cover no matter what condition. headbang.gif

that's one of the few issues that would be cooler

if it had a bullet hole in it.

headbang.gif

headbang.gif

I can arrange that....

headbang.gif

I can arrange that....

so can I friend...

so can I.

thumbsup2.gif