• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pep 22 cover only- What will it sell for?

35 posts in this topic

$841.56

Pretty close thumbsup2.gif

yay.gif - It was just a wildass guess on my part - but I am dimly aware that this book is smokin' hot these days - and that a 2.0 copy would sell for at least 2X guide.

More like 6X smile.gif

893whatthe.gif 8K for a 2.0 - I guess Archie's longevity has paid off.

$841.56

Pretty close thumbsup2.gif

yay.gif - It was just a wildass guess on my part - but I am dimly aware that this book is smokin' hot these days - and that a 2.0 copy would sell for at least 2X guide.

More like 6X smile.gif

893whatthe.gif 8K for a 2.0 - I guess Archie's longevity has paid off.

Actually the last official 2.0 went for 8500, and a poor went for more than 4K.

I think the Archies would have reached that point long ago if the guide had simply reflected the yearly increases. But instead they raised it one percent, two percent. no percent... while people glady paid more but feared to pay too much more because they feared having to resell it with guide prices so low. What's happened lately, IMO, is that the guide's had it so wong for so many years that people have begun to realize virtualy nobody relies on it anymore for the early Archies. . You still see echoes of the guide, like in the way the chewed up Archie 1 sold for essentially the good price (would've paid more myself but missed it). Had the good price been more it would've gone for more. But had the good price been accurate the book wouldn't have sold for the good price. Question is what's accurate. The guide's inaccuracy has manipulated the book downward from its real value but we won't know how far down until the guide starts getting it right.

So what we've had is very unnatural market fofces keeping it down. If and when the guide starts reporting real and accurate figures then the sales figures will go up as people feel more confident, and the market value will begin to level off only when natural market forces take over.

But will that happen? Or will we see an increase far below what it's actually been selling at -- alongside market report huzzahs about the elusive 9.9 copies of Thor #279?

The thing about Archie is that almost everybody read him but many wouldn't admit it until he became hot.

I have to say 10 years ago I looked at Archie books as low priority dump books, along the lines of cartoon/funny animals books that I would never have any interest in. Since, then I have 2 girls who love anything Archie, and personally I've come to appreciate them myself through the many threads here (Double Entendre, cool Archie covers, etc., Archie artist threads). So now they are near the top of my list of wanted books.

I bought my Archie #1 years ago. It's restored and the price I paid was too high based on Overstreet. I also bought it before the negative reaction to restoration had reared it's ugly head.

I finally got over the price I paid and I'm now happy that I have a pretty nice looking copy, restored or not, that I can pull out and enjoy whenever I feel like it.

I haven't seen many copies available over the past 8 years. Some of those that were available looked like they wouldn't survive being handled. I finally decided I was lucky to have a copy. Since I have no plans to sell it, I decided the restoration doesn't matter.

I do agree that the low prices in Overstreet kind of create a stigma for Archie #1 and Pep #22 sales reaching what may be their more realistic price potential. Too many buyers are slaves to what Overstreet says without regard to real market conditions.

For example, with my Archie #1, I was disappointed after I originally bought it because I felt like I overpaid based on Overstreet rather than being happy with having a key comic that is incredibly tough to find.

The thing about Archie is that almost everybody read him but many wouldn't admit it until he became hot.

I have to say 10 years ago I looked at Archie books as low priority dump books, along the lines of cartoon/funny animals books that I would never have any interest in. Since, then I have 2 girls who love anything Archie, and personally I've come to appreciate them myself through the many threads here (Double Entendre, cool Archie covers, etc., Archie artist threads). So now they are near the top of my list of wanted books.

I wasn't much into Archie as a kid, except old issues of Ma-ad House. Before becoming a super-hero fan at the age of 10, I was a big Harvey reader - Sad Sack being my favorite. I will admit to having read an Archie book here and there - most recently some garage sale B&V digests to my daughters, but my impression is still that the Archie books are largely considered "girls" comics (I have a small collection of pre-code romance books - so I see nothing strange in grown men collecting Archie). I have enjoyed some of the Archie themed threads though. FWIW both my daughters (6 &10) enjoy Betty & Veronica books, but seem more enthusiastic about Little Lulu and Uncle Scrooge.

For example, with my Archie #1, I was disappointed after I originally bought it because I felt like I overpaid based on Overstreet rather than being happy with having a key comic that is incredibly tough to find.

I feel this is the attitude that we should all have about any book we buy for our collection, no matter what the book or the price, if you can pull that book out and still enjoy it years later, then you've done well.

I never read Archie. I did read Richie Rich, though. Is that cool yet? Or should I not have said anything?

I liked Richie Rich as a kid -- especially some of the adventure oriented early 70s stories.

No, but he is mentioned on the inside front cover...

The Archie story from 22 has been reprinted numerous times over the years but I don't think the inside front cover is ever reproduced. The inside cover write up is actually more historic because the publisher's introduction to Archie implies that they expect him to become very popular and they invite readers to provide feedback.

I recently ordered a CD-ROM of early Pep Comics from goldcomics.com, and it includes #22 in its entirety - yes, even the inside front cover, so now we can all know exactly how Archie was introduced to the readers of Pep Comics. For the historical record, I'll present the entire inside-front-cover editorial, in [font:Courier New]Courier[/font] font to replicate the typewriten appearance of the original.

[font:Courier New]BULLETIN #6

In these grim times we all feel the need for something to laugh at. Something that will take our minds off the troublesome things going on all about us. That is why we put a feature like ARCHIE in this issue of PEP COMICS.

No fooling, gang, ARCHIE really is a rib-tickler. Don't take my word for it. Just turn the pages of this book to ARCHIE -- and then when you stop laughing sit down and write me a letter about it.

And now for our regular monthly discussion. Remember I asked you to write me your reaction on Phyllis Barber's idea of the pen pal lage. Whew! Your letters are coming in so thick and fast that I haven't gone through all of them yet. But keep those pens and pencils going. It is a real pleasure to read them. Remember I want you to keep sending me any idea or suggestion you might have.

Memo to Joseph Kilbanow. About my pal the BLACK HOOD, while I regret that he doesn't appear in a book of his own, you will find him in JACKPOT COMICS. He asks me to give his sincere thanks for your gratifying interest.

And so, so long and happy reading until next month.

Some of the outstanding letters this month were sent by:

Wallace McPherson

4478 Bancroft

San Diego, Calif.

Frank Eastman

Jennings, La.

Joan Haun

2931 N. W. 14

Oklahoma City, Okla.

(signed) Joe Higgins[/font]