• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neil Gaiman and 1602

98 posts in this topic

I have high expectations. One thing in our (the readers) favor, is that it is Gaiman. It should be interesting, if nothing else.

Where you been, Comic Girl? Have you just been "lurking" the past few months????

Chris

This should be a great read.... apparently it is NOT an elseworlds story, so I'm curious to see how that's gonna work.

Of course it isnt...Elseworlds is DC

1602 is Marvel

Well, it's the year 1602 and the Marvel universe is coming into being nearly four hundred years ahead of schedule with the ancestors of the modern day Marvel universe playing similar roles as their modern descendants.

First issue really just sets up some of the main characters.

Premise-wise, it reminds me of the BBC series the Black Adder... which focused on the same group of characters playing similar roles in different eras of English history... each series is supposed to look at the descandants of the previous series. All Edmond Black Adders are conniving cowards looking to make it rich, all Baldricks are slovenly simpletons that serve the Black Adder, and so on. Rowan Atkinson played the various Edmonds.

Or that in some new age eligions we are supposed to be linked to the same "souls", occasionally reliving certain familial relationships over and over again.

So in this there is a Captain America, Nick Fury, Dr. Strange, Black Widow, Cyclops, Angel, Iceman, Dr. Doom, Spider-Man, etc. but they are supposed to be the ancestors/versions/counterparts that you might find in the Elizabethan era Marvel Universe. And something is pulling them together.

Kev

Sweet, this seems to be a book that people are looking forwrad to and will live up to the hype.....i can't wait to read it

I won't be getting it because of the Marvel hype. I love Gaiman "Death the High cost of living" is one of my favs.

I won't be getting it because of the Marvel hype. I love Gaiman "Death the High cost of living" is one of my favs

That seems like a pretty strange reason to me.

Wouldn't it make more sense to flip thru it on the rack and then decide whether or not it is any good?

Kev

I won't be getting it because of the Marvel hype. I love Gaiman "Death the High cost of living" is one of my favs

That seems like a pretty strange reason to me.

Wouldn't it make more sense to flip thru it on the rack and then decide whether or not it is any good?

Kev

With the dollars Marvel have invested in it you would think that it was the second coming. I just don't see how the book can meet expectations. I am sure it will top Wizard's hot list.

I know it doesn't make sense but I am just turned off by the whole palava.

With the dollars Marvel have invested in it you would think that it was the second coming. I just don't see how the book can meet expectations. I am sure it will top Wizard's hot list.

I know it doesn't make sense but I am just turned off by the whole palava.

To each his own, but I usually just ignore the hype. I don't have any expectations of quality based on the level of hype a project is given. If I didn that then I would have expected Tomb Raider to be a good movie.

I prefer to look at (a) who is doing it (b) what the concept is and © what it looks like and then make up my mind whether or not I want to give it a try.

Based on that criteria (a) Gaiman is a quality writer, Kubert and Isanove usually do a good job (b) the concept is intriguing enough that it will certainly stand out against the usual Marvel product and © what I've seen online and at Wizard World last weekend makes me want to try it out..

Kev