• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Age of Comics

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone know when or if or how a new age of comics is created? I know the BA lasted for about 10 years, the SA as well and the GA a little more than 10. What says that it is time for a new age? If time is the concern, we should have a new age of books already. Maybe the copper age? How about the tin age?

Gary grin.gif

Does anyone know when or if or how a new age of comics is created? I know the BA lasted for about 10 years, the SA as well and the GA a little more than 10. What says that it is time for a new age? If time is the concern, we should have a new age of books already. Maybe the copper age? How about the tin age?

Gary grin.gif

How about the Sparkly-HoloChrome Age?

How about the Sparkly-HoloChrome Age?

Ooohhh me like! "Sparkly-HoloChrome" just rolls right off the tongue ... and sounds like the sort of moniker that could get the average Homer Simpson-type interested: "Sparkly-HoloChrome...mmmmmmmm"

On a slightly more serious note, I'm not sure the decades "metric" really works, at least not compared to existing 'ages' ... at least some attempt was made with the GA, SA, and BA labels to set nominal cut-off points based on something: cover price, character intros, quality of materials...everyone has their own opinion...

But I don't really think this applies much anymore..? I think "Modern comics" can be applied to everything from ~1981-present pretty safely, for the time being. At some point 5-10+ years from now, we may look back and decide that 1981-1990 comics need their own 'age' - but I don't that'll happen for a bit longer...

1) Collectors talk about it over decades.

2) Overstreet hears what the collectors talk about.

3) Overstreet starts writing articles in the guide about what they hear and what they think the ages should be called.

4) Collectors read the articles that overstreet writes.

5) Eventually, everybody agrees with what overstreet writes, and the ages are either born, re-born, or changed to accomodate what Overstreet has written.

Well, they've started the discussion on comic book ages in an article they've called "Starting the Discussion". Now, we have things called Copper and Chrome Ages. How long before these terms will be used and accepted.

If you doubt me, just wait. grin.gif

1) Collectors talk about it over decades.

2) Overstreet hears what the collectors talk about.

3) Overstreet starts writing articles in the guide about what they hear and what they think the ages should be called.

4) Collectors read the articles that overstreet writes.

5) Eventually, everybody agrees with what overstreet writes, and the ages are either born, re-born, or changed to accomodate what Overstreet has written.

Well, they've started the discussion on comic book ages in an article they've called "Starting the Discussion". Now, we have things called Copper and Chrome Ages. How long before these terms will be used and accepted.

If you doubt me, just wait. grin.gif

I think the 90's should be called the Chromium age. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In honor of all the that bought 500 copies of Ninjak #1 and XO #0.

I think the copper age would be fitting for the 80's/90's. There seems to be a trend of precious medals and copper is worth about as much as those books are. In reality, it doesn't matter what they call it. It is just a word to describe the time period.

Gary grin.gif

I think the copper age would be fitting for the 80's/90's. There seems to be a trend of precious medals and copper is worth about as much as those books are. In reality, it doesn't matter what they call it. It is just a word to describe the time period.

Gary grin.gif

Diamond Age would be more appropriate if we decide to relate the age name to value for those 80s/90s books. 2000s books are definitely Ultimate Age, IMO, with the non presence of DC on the comic market today tongue.gif