• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Best and Worst Comic Book Dealers Thread

111 posts in this topic

There is so much talk on this board in various threads about different dealers and their lack of customer service or their terrific customer service either in a actual comic store or by eBay User ID. I thought of creating this thread to see who are your top best and worst comic dealers that you have dealt with personally. I would like to see personal buying or attempted buying experiences only. This is to give credit where credit is due or if the dealers in question read these boards tell them to step it up a notch. I rarely buy books from Dealers so only two I can recommend are Darthdiesal and Superworld Comics. As far as worst dealer Mile High comics, though I do not mind selling to them blush.gif. Note: does not have to be 5 or 10 just as many as you can remember from personal experience that you can list.

I think we did this thread a while back, but what the hell... I'll throw them out again:

Best:

Bob Storms

Ted VanLiew of Superworld

Gary Platt

Metropolis Comics

Gary Dolgoff

I'll throw Dr. Banner in the ring from the boards and ebay, some really nice books.

Worst:

Mile High Comics (for back issues. Let's all be honest, he does have some deep discounts on hardcovers, and new stuff... but out of principle, I just won't buy from them)

Richie Muchin: sorry, heard too many stories about this guy and kind of a surly [!@#%^&^] at shows.

There are other "terrible" dealers for pricing and grading, but many of them I can't remember because I can't remember their names. I'm not a huge fan of Motor City, but I certainly wouldn't put them on the "worst" list.

Yeah the Worst Dealer Thread I forgot about but it seemed to go off tangent and become a lets slam Comic-Keys, Mile High Comics and Gerry Ross Thread... tongue.gif. I would like to see names and a little discussion as to why. Besides there was not a Best Comic Dealer Thread yet... smirk.gif

I gotta give props to 'kirksenterprise'. Super-fast shipment. Ultra-secure packaging. Reasonable prices. And more importantly.....a really nice guy.

He even marked my package as a "gift", so I didn't have to pay any CUSTOMS fees..... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Well I recently went to the Mile High Store in Garden Grove CA and can understand why everyone discusses them in such bad taste anyone need a VF copy of Batman #608 for $30.00. By the way its called NM/Mint there. 893whatthe.gif

Maybe I should feel glad that Dolgoff and SuperWorld are among my worst dealers. Both provided me with over-graded books. Same for redbeardsbookden.com (who also didn't let me know that he sold a book out from under me until I got the refund in the mail).

SuperWorld redeemed themselves in that they refunded my money and postage both ways.... something that doesn't happen too often.

I've always been tempted to buy from Mile High. I guess I should be glad that I resisted the temptation.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Best:

hogations

Donut

banner

Superworld

Gary Dolgoff

Bob Storms

Worst:

Showcase New England 893frustrated.gif

Mile High

Showcase New England

Stckwzrd(I acutally bought 2 books from him for fun 6 or 7 months ago)

NeatStuff - bought a "VF" X-Men 83 from them with a 2" tear and extensive staining on the back cover

Showcase New England 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893frustrated.gif893censored-thumb.gif

From personal experience, Doug Sulipa from Comic World is an excellent dealer. Very tough grader and your sure to go home happy. Worst dealer locally I would have to mention Comics America, although at the time of my experiences with the owner, he was known as Styx Comics. I dealt with him about 25 years ago and just got rubbed the wrong way when he tacked on the "Visa" (I think it was called Chargex then) % to a purchase I did back then.

Wow, talk about chincy. frown.gif

Since then I've heard stories......which I won't get into.

From personal experience, Doug Sulipa from Comic World is an excellent dealer. Very tough grader and your sure to go home happy. Worst dealer locally I would have to mention Comics America, although at the time of my experiences with the owner, he was known as Styx Comics. I dealt with him about 25 years ago and just got rubbed the wrong way when he tacked on the "Visa" (I think it was called Chargex then) % to a purchase I did back then.

Wow, talk about chincy. frown.gif

Since then I've heard stories......which I won't get into.

What did Joe do to you? confused-smiley-013.gif

Hmmm its very interesting to me so far that people have mixed feelings about Superworld, Showcase New England and Gary Dolgoff all three are on the best list of some and the worst list of others. Are they just inconsistent? Or just a bad day with a single bad experience?... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hmmm its very interesting to me so far that people have mixed feelings about Superworld, Showcase New England and Gary Dolgoff all three are on the best list of some and the worst list of others. Are they just inconsistent? Or just a bad day with a single bad experience?... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nobody's perfect.

But if you have more people being positive about a seller, that says a lot.