• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another pressing experiment

19 posts in this topic

I don't want to start a wirlwind but I thought it may interest some people what happened when I tried to press a couple severely wrinkled comics this week. I don't really have a clue how the "experts" do it but I winged it.

I picked up a couple silver-age books recently that had either a sever wrinkle to the bottom half of the entire comic or had a deap non-color breaking center fold. I set my everyday iron on about 3-4 and made sure to turn off the steam insane.gif I placed the comics between two typical backing boards and proceeded to "iron" the comics using considerable pressure. The wrinkled book took a few times on both sides but the comic improved by about 80%. The wrinkles are still noticable but not nearly as evident as before. The center bend comics did improve a little bit but the bend stands out a lot more after pressing compared to the wrinkled comic. I may try a couple more this weekend and I will make sure to record the before and after pics.

I will of course let the future buyer know about this pressing but a interested buyer has stated she doesn't consider pressing resporation and doesn't care.

Engineer, OUT!!

I placed the comics between two typical backing boards and proceeded to "iron" the comics using considerable pressure. The wrinkled book took a few times on both sides but the comic improved by about 80%. The wrinkles are still noticable but not nearly as evident as before. The center bend comics did improve a little bit but the bend stands out a lot more after pressing compared to the wrinkled comic. I may try a couple more this weekend and I will make sure to record the before and after pics.

Maybe try 2 mylars instead of 2 backing boards? Just don't melt them insane.gif

Please do not use a household iron to press any book you care about. The heat of an iron is way too hot for a pressing job. If you want to press a book, just buy a dry mount press and some silicone release paper and keep the heat really low.

Please do not use a household iron to press any book you care about. The heat of an iron is way too hot for a pressing job. If you want to press a book, just buy a dry mount press and some silicone release paper and keep the heat really low.

thumbsup2.gif would scotch tape be ok too... tongue.gif

Scotch tape? Sure! I read somewhere that Scotch tape is great to put on the spines of your comics to keep them from falling apart. insane.gif

Really?? Time to crack that ToS 53 out of the slab and get to work grin.gifpoke2.gif

btw... thanks for the book Scott flowerred.gif

Glad you like it! It's good to have the two burntboy books back together. yay.gif

Scotch tape? Sure! I read somewhere that Scotch tape is great to put on the spines of your comics to keep them from falling apart. insane.gif

fascinating !!! I have not heard of this marvelous technique... tongue.gif

foreheadslap.gif

foreheadslap.gif
foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

foreheadslap.gif
foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif
hey roomy. hi.gif