• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any other "Type" collectors out there? How do you collect?

56 posts in this topic

bills.jpg

it's all good in GA!

starwars.gif

I recognize S from his photo in the Overstreet ...but is that you Big R ???893scratchchin-thumb.gif

nope, I'm too ugly to photograph (at least that is what my wife tells me)...that is Bill (ciorac) and Steve, from a picture bill took in the 90's, I believe...they were having some public fun jabbing, so I thought I would add to it!

rick

ps-don't want to forget, it was diz who lent me the SW graemlin! he has a boatload of cool ones

...At this point, I'm sort of a "type" collector looking for one nice book from all of the major titles. Does anyone else collect in this same manner, and if not, how do you classify your collecting interests? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was always a completist my entire collecting time so I started to go a little random now.

I'm loving Neal Adams covers to any title he did along with BA horror of nearly any title or SA DC's with the the retro colour schemes of purples, greens and pinks with the checkered flag banner at the top. That seems to keep my interest.

My long term goal is as much of Detective Comics as I can assemble. I was going to stop Detective at issue 327, the "new look Batman." But when I got to that point, about a year ago, I decided to keep going. I have a few lingering issues of other runs I need to finish, 3 books here and a dozen there, but they are all bronze age stuff or Mags (need to finish my Vampi run cloud9.gif).

Detectives are wonderful. Are you planning to do the entire run? Or Batman and up?

My initial thought is the full run. I guesstimate this will take 20 years insane.gif, so when I get close I may change my mind... But I do like the look of the pre-Batman books so I was going to include them. Of course it all comes down to dollars, and I can't predict what life will throw at me.

My long term goal is as much of Detective Comics as I can assemble. I was going to stop Detective at issue 327, the "new look Batman." But when I got to that point, about a year ago, I decided to keep going. I have a few lingering issues of other runs I need to finish, 3 books here and a dozen there, but they are all bronze age stuff or Mags (need to finish my Vampi run cloud9.gif).

Detectives are wonderful. Are you planning to do the entire run? Or Batman and up?

My initial thought is the full run. I guesstimate this will take 20 years insane.gif, so when I get close I may change my mind... But I do like the look of the pre-Batman books so I was going to include them. Of course it all comes down to dollars, and I can't predict what life will throw at me.

I say go for it...I have debated with going for a full run of GA tec's too...while it is a lot of $'s, the US gov. is printing more money every day!, but they ain't making no more GA Tecs!

rick

Don't buy them - the #1-#26 Tecs are extremely overrated insane.gif

Buy the color faded Marvel #1 instead cloud9.gif

aren't you done with your tec run yet?...I always get outbid by you anyways poke2.gif

and yes, that marvel 1 will be mine, all mine I tell you (until someone outbids me!)

Still need:

2 pre Robins - 27 and 35

14 pre Batman - 1-5, 12, 13, 16, 18-20, 22, 23, 25

and I won't outbid you on the Marvel #1 thumbsup2.gif as I am not bidding on anything else till the Tecs are done.

I say go for it...I have debated with going for a full run of GA tec's too...while it is a lot of $'s, the US gov. is printing more money every day!, but they ain't making no more GA Tecs!

rick

I know, you are right! I just have to convince the wife it's ok... Although she plays guitars, you should see how expensive some of those things are.

Don't buy them - the #1-#26 Tecs are extremely overrated insane.gif

Buy the color faded Marvel #1 instead cloud9.gif

I just want those early Tecs as support in the box to protect the Batman books. crazy.gif

I was collecting mummy covers for about a year. Assmebled maybe over 120 of them, most cgc'ed. From golden to moderns. Comics only. No mags, graphic novels, etc. Even had one or two undergrounds.

That sounds cool, different. Wouldn't think there are that many.

Collecting GGA covers, and some romance books, and dare I say, covers with lampost's.

I've never heard of a lamp post cover collector. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

great thread.

I was thinking about an odd type of book that I'm currently collecting. I have runs (Amazing, Daredevil, others), I have genres (religious comic books), I have artists and writers that I collect (Miller, Moore, Aragones), etc., etc.

but, probably one of the odder things I collect is every writer/artist associated with Eastman and Laird's Mirage Publishing. Dooney, Talbot, Bissette, Ryan, etc.

I buy all their books anytime I see them, and file them under "Mirage Guys" (working title).

Similarly, I buy every "adjective, adjective, adjective, noun" B&W from around 1984-1990 and every important black and white book from around that era. I call these "Turtles Exploitation" books (working title). (Or "B&W Explosion")

It's fun, costs me next to nothing, and is making me a little bit of an expert in this somewhat obscure field. There's a lot of material out there, as of now, I only have a small percentage of it, but it's fun.

great thread.

I was thinking about an odd type of book that I'm currently collecting. I have runs (Amazing, Daredevil, others), I have genres (religious comic books), I have artists and writers that I collect (Miller, Moore, Aragones), etc., etc.

but, probably one of the odder things I collect is every writer/artist associated with Eastman and Laird's Mirage Publishing. Dooney, Talbot, Bissette, Ryan, etc.

I buy all their books anytime I see them, and file them under "Mirage Guys" (working title).

Similarly, I buy every "adjective, adjective, adjective, noun" B&W from around 1984-1990 and every important black and white book from around that era. I call these "Turtles Exploitation" books (working title). (Or "B&W Explosion")

It's fun, costs me next to nothing, and is making me a little bit of an expert in this somewhat obscure field. There's a lot of material out there, as of now, I only have a small percentage of it, but it's fun.

Sounds like fun.....have you tried to read some of that stuff..... insane.gif

Sounds like fun.....have you tried to read some of that stuff..... insane.gif

For sure! Some of it is attrocious (Geriatric Gerbils), some of it is fantastic (Samurai Penguin).

Most of it is mediocre-parody of a parody wears pretty thin after an issue or two. The better stuff is rare.

But it's fun. To me, the B&W explosion of the mid eighties was my "San Fransisco Undergrounds" of the sixties.

Obscure, odd, slightly deviant, frowned upon by mom, etc. etc.