• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mad #1 CGC 9.8 Gaines File Copy On Ebay

88 posts in this topic

It would be interesting to know the ranking of any of the 12 copies on the original COAs. For example, if #10/12 is a CGC 9.8 it would point to a higher likelihood of 9.8s than if #4/12 is a CGC 8.5.

The auction states this is 12/12. By that reasoning, the worst copy is a 9.8. I think there's a high likelihood there are legitimately 5 (probably more) 9.8s.

There's actually quite a bit of variation -- Overstreet was grading too fast and often didn't even look at the back cover.

Kind of like you poke2.gif

LewisWayneGalleries is now offering one of the CGC 9.8s on ebay. My guess is that most likely this is one of the copies, or the copy (not sure how many he has), owned by Jim Halperin of Heritage.

Wait, are you saying that it's possible that Jim Halperin is selling comics but not on Heritage? Why would he do that? confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That is a very good question and one I discussed with him before. I believe it was last Summer. Unfortunately I can not remember what he told me!!! I think I posted it though. LWG sells many of Halperin's books.

Why Halperin does that rather than through Heritage, which also has an ebay presence, is confusing, and is similar to the question of why Geppi sells books through Heritage when he owns Hakes (though I understand the financial side of it, the business practice is slightly befuddling).

Adam's right. Generally speaking the 1/12, 2/12, 3/12 ranking did not carry over when they were slabbed. I know some low numbers ended up with lower grades than some mid-numbers.

I wish I would held onto the 1/2's that I had long enough to test that theory. frown.gif

Here is some additional statistical information:

The copy presently for sale by LWG is 12/12.

The copy I purchased is 4/12. Paid $32,200 on February 10, 2005.

The same copy sold one year earlier for the identical price.

Now, I just noticed for the first time that my copy was apparently previously a CGC 9.6. The 4/12 copy was sold as such by Heritage on July 17, 2003, for $24,150. Had I known this at the time of my purchase in 2005 (a time I was not truly cognizant of the pressing/resubbing manipulation CGC game certain people undertake for purely profiteering reasons, I would not have purchased my copy for that price). Whether it was pressed or resubbed, I have no idea, but I am not happy to discover that either or both occurred. There is only one 9.6 copy in the census so CGC was complicit in this grading change. I know views differ, and so be it, but this is what I hate about this hobby.

The CGC 9.6 3/12 was sold by Heritage on November 25, 2001, for $25,300. My recollection is that PCE Comics had this copy on their website for $55k last year. I can't confirm that as it is not there now.

There are two other Heritage sales at CGC 9.2 and CGC 9.0 but neither are Gaines file copies.

GPAnalysis notes that a CGC 9.4 Gaines file copy sold in October 2006 for $11,374. No indication of which of the 12 copies it was.

Anyone know of other sales info? I believe Halperin may have two CGC 9.8 copies (including the one for sale now).

I hate to say it, but I have trouble imagining the collecting community getting to excited by the Mad #1s. We are talking about a pretty high price and given the possibility of a move to a 9.9 either by a resub or an ungaded Gaine copy being submitted, I can't imagine taking the plunge and buying a copy at those price levels. As a collector, I would definitely be happy with a crappy 9.0 copy which for this book may be harder to find than a 9.8.

If the book were $2,500 instead of $25,000, I would have already bid, but dropping $25,000+ on a second copy of a book I already own (even if the rationale is exercising sound business judgment) would be tantamount at the moment to asking my wife for a divorce! 27_laughing.gif

And then I would probably lose the one copy I already own as a result! gossip.gif893whatthe.gif

I guess I would present it as spending $25K to prevent your current $32K book from becoming a $12K book, rather than spending $25K to pick up a double.

But I hear ya on the wife thing! 27_laughing.gif

I dunno. I think the market can absorb a few more top of census Marvel keys sooner than this many Mad#1s.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I doubt we'll ever find out, as I think the odds of 5 9.8 copies of FF 1, AF 15, X-Men 1, etc. appearing is extremely remote. The Gaines file copies are just a completely different creature.

Mark, your candor regarding your own book is remarkable (and quite refreshing).

esquirecomics is tops! thumbsup2.gif (I have this uncontrollable urge to buy a book from you grin.gif)

STEVE

I can give you a very good deal on a Mad #1 CGC 9.8! yay.gif

GPAnalysis notes that a CGC 9.4 Gaines file copy sold in October 2006 for $11,374. No indication of which of the 12 copies it was.

A reliable source informed me that this copy was sold through Vault Auctions, but it did not indicate which Gaines file copy # it was. The high bidder was "jhalpe".

esquirecomics is tops! thumbsup2.gif (I have this uncontrollable urge to buy a book from you grin.gif)

STEVE

No thank's, I think they've started giving them away at the LCS. wink.gif

It would be interesting to know the ranking of any of the 12 copies on the original COAs. For example, if #10/12 is a CGC 9.8 it would point to a higher likelihood of 9.8s than if #4/12 is a CGC 8.5.

The auction states this is 12/12. By that reasoning, the worst copy is a 9.8. I think there's a high likelihood there are legitimately 5 (probably more) 9.8s.

There's actually quite a bit of variation -- Overstreet was grading too fast and often didn't even look at the back cover.

Kind of like you poke2.gif

In case anyone was unclear, this was a bad attempt at humor. adamstrange is a stand up guy sorry.gif

I dunno. I think the market can absorb a few more top of census Marvel keys sooner than this many Mad#1s.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I doubt we'll ever find out, as I think the odds of 5 9.8 copies of FF 1, AF 15, X-Men 1, etc. appearing is extremely remote. The Gaines file copies are just a completely different creature.

I hope it does happen so I can afford X-Men 1 in 9.8 insane.gif

STEVE

No thank's, I think they've started giving them away at the LCS. wink.gif

Mine came free with the Sunday paper. In the slab!

How can anyone say what Overstreet's grading technique was ?

There were only three people present at the grading...

More comicbook fiction in the retelling of the tale...

I remember purchasing plenty of Marvel stock as it was going down and down

trying to justify the original purchase and average out the cost...

what a disaster!