• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mad #1 CGC 9.8 Gaines File Copy On Ebay

88 posts in this topic

I remember purchasing plenty of Marvel stock as it was going down and down

trying to justify the original purchase and average out the cost...

what a disaster!

I take it you didn't sell any of it to recoup your original investment when it more then quadrupled in the early years?

but still, depending on when/what price you exercised your warrants at when it emerged from bankruptcy you should be doing alright. The price has pretty close to tripled the original option price and though it has a really high short percentage now, insider ownership is high as are several funds so I expect those shorts to get squeezed.

GPAnalysis notes that a CGC 9.4 Gaines file copy sold in October 2006 for $11,374. No indication of which of the 12 copies it was.

A reliable source informed me that this copy was sold through Vault Auctions, but it did not indicate which Gaines file copy # it was. The high bidder was "jhalpe".

So perhaps that 9.4 will be yet another 9.8 in no time!

STEVE

I remember purchasing plenty of Marvel stock as it was going down and down

trying to justify the original purchase and average out the cost...

what a disaster!

I take it you didn't sell any of it to recoup your original investment when it more then quadrupled in the early years?

but still, depending on when/what price you exercised your warrants at when it emerged from bankruptcy you should be doing alright. The price has pretty close to tripled the original option price and though it has a really high short percentage now, insider ownership is high as are several funds so I expect those shorts to get squeezed.

Unfortunately the stock he probably bought become worthless when Marvel declared bankruptcy. It's the stock they sold after chapter 13 that quadruple.

Unfortunately the stock he probably bought become worthless when Marvel declared bankruptcy. It's the stock they sold after chapter 13 that quadruple.

Actually after the initial IPO of Marvel in the early 90s the stock was a market darling then and right around quadrupled.

Original shareholders in the bankrupt company had options under the reorganization to purchase shares in the company once it emerged (at varying prices) and after some initial sluggishness the stock has performed quite well.

Adam's right. Generally speaking the 1/12, 2/12, 3/12 ranking did not carry over when they were slabbed. I know some low numbers ended up with lower grades than some mid-numbers.

Yes, a review of the Heritage auction listings would most definitely confirm this inconsistency in the gradings. The Heritage auction descriptions generally always listed both the CGC grading along with the Overstreet ranking.

Adam's right. Generally speaking the 1/12, 2/12, 3/12 ranking did not carry over when they were slabbed. I know some low numbers ended up with lower grades than some mid-numbers.

Yes, a review of the Heritage auction listings would most definitely confirm this inconsistency in the gradings. The Heritage auction descriptions generally always listed both the CGC grading along with the Overstreet ranking.

I checked to see if the three EC books I used to own had ever resold through heritage, but no luck. I wonder what happened to them. If anyone knows, please let me know. Here is a list of the books and the grades I gave them:

War Against Crime #10 - 9.9 (2/11)

War Against Crime #11 - 9.9 (2/11)

Haunt of Fear #15 - 9.8 Mile High

Is it possible that some of those (or in particular ONE issue) has been re-submitted several times (In the quest for the elusive 9.9), and this has skewed the census???

Anything is possible. I certainly can't rule it out. When the 5 9.8 issues showed up in the census I asked CGC for additional data to gain a better understanding of where these copies came from, and - to some extent - confirm or deny what you suggest. I wasn't able to obtain any relevant or useful information.

mark, any chance you can get yours tainted up to a 9.9? in golf some people get one stroke for free, called a 'mulligan.' any chance nod'll give you a similar, once-in-a-lifetime 'look the other way'?

Is it possible that some of those (or in particular ONE issue) has been re-submitted several times (In the quest for the elusive 9.9), and this has skewed the census???

Anything is possible. I certainly can't rule it out. When the 5 9.8 issues showed up in the census I asked CGC for additional data to gain a better understanding of where these copies came from, and - to some extent - confirm or deny what you suggest. I wasn't able to obtain any relevant or useful information.

mark, any chance you can get yours tainted up to a 9.9? in golf some people get one stroke for free, called a 'mulligan.' any chance nod'll give you a similar, once-in-a-lifetime 'look the other way'?

If you're going to go and attack NOD, try to at least get your facts straight first, okay? NOD doesn't oppose "tainting up" books, it just advocates disclosing if they've been tainted up. Got it?

If you're going to go and attack NOD, try to at least get your facts straight first, okay? NOD doesn't oppose "tainting up" books, it just advocates disclosing if they've been tainted up.

Got it?

got it? buddy, i've got it up to here [visual needed--i am holding my hand up as far as it will reach over my head].

If you're going to go and attack NOD, try to at least get your facts straight first, okay? NOD doesn't oppose "tainting up" books, it just advocates disclosing if they've been tainted up. Got it?

Such flagrant use of "taint" 893whatthe.gif

Such flagrant use of "taint" 893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gif How did I know you were going to read it that way? 893applaud-thumb.gif

Man, I'd hate to be the guy who paid over $20K for a copy on an impulse! :baiting:

Time to dump the book and cut your losses, methinks.

Or buy up every 9.8 copy that appears on the market. :P

Man, I'd hate to be the guy who paid over $20K for a copy on an impulse! :baiting:

Time to dump the book and cut your losses, methinks.

Or buy up every 9.8 copy that appears on the market. :P

No more impulse buys for me. :sorry::(