• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting a paid CGC Membership...

41 posts in this topic

So I've seen the perks of joining the CGC Community. And the three express coupons are a nice value, but other than that, is it really worth the money? I'm still on the fence about it. Has anyone else shelled out the money for a paid membership? Convince me to join! Or not to join! =P

I joined last year.. got my coupons but I haven't found any other real value for myself.

You didn't get the secret decoder ring and membership kit?

I joined last year.. got my coupons but I haven't found any other real value for myself.

You didn't get the secret decoder ring and membership kit?

I thought about it but I dont like Ovaltine

I submitted high grade copies of ASM 3, ASM 4, and FF 12...Almost went over the limit so if you submit books like this you save alot of money.......

That's what I'm thinking of doing. I don't have anything at the level of ASM 3 or 4 but I figure the initial membership fee is worth the three submissions you get.

So I've seen the perks of joining the CGC Community. And the three express coupons are a nice value, but other than that, is it really worth the money? I'm still on the fence about it. Has anyone else shelled out the money for a paid membership? Convince me to join! Or not to join! =P

If you have three books worthy of express submission, the cost of the membership is more than offset by the value that you receive. Basically, with the collector society coupon, you're getting "standard" service (plus one week extra wait time) but you get the "express" value limit of $4,000 per book. So if standard tier is $49 per submission (-$9.80 for the 20% discount you'd get elsewhere, for a total of $39.20 fee per book if you submit through Heritage) and the express tier is $79 per submission (-$15.80 for the 20% discount you'd get elsewhere, for a total of $63.20 per submission), you can estimate that the comparable "value" of an express submission under the collector's society coupon is worth around $55 each (because you get the value limit of the express tier, with slower service), for a total of $165 in "value" for the coupon. If you are submitting three books, each of which is worth less than $1,000, you can figure that the value of the coupon is slightly less than three times the value of a standard submission, since the CS coupon service takes a week longer -- so estimate that it would be worth around $35 per book.

You pay $99 for the membership, plus you get to track the status of your submissions online using the CS interface.

The bottom line is that if you're submitting three books worth more than $1,000 using your CS coupon, it's a great deal. If you're submitting three books each worth less than $1,000 (but worth more than the economy limit of $250) with the CS coupon, it's still an OK deal, plus you can track the status.

If all you submit are moderns, then it isn't worth it.

I submitted high grade copies of ASM 3, ASM 4, and FF 12...Almost went over the limit so if you submit books like this you save alot of money.......

what was this for?

your uncle?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes sir!!!! thumbsup2.gif

I only join the Collector's Society when I have 2 or 3 books worth over a grand that need to be graded.

If I have 4-6 books that need to be graded, then my girlfriend joins too.

7+ books in that price range and suddenly, all sorts of family members start wanting to be a part of the CS.

Just wait until the annual registry awards, put up your best set, and if ya win an award they give you a year free!

Yeah, but I got a snazzy plaque. I mean if you already have the books..why not?