• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRAILS GAME

2,819 posts in this topic

So, the doorbell rings a few minutes ago and I think it must be the UPS guy dilivering a book from an auction I won on the 19th, but instead it was the USPS mailman dropping off my recent win from Pirate's Grails Game! That was fast!

X-Men58Front.jpg

Thanks again Charlie and Anthony!!

I'm glad it arrived so quick. Thanks Anthony.

Big thanks again to Charlie for running his special Christmas Grails Game. I finally made up my mind on the book I wanted from Brent's site, and ponied up a little extra $ to make it happen:

6983.jpg

Excited to get my mitts on this, as it'll be my first copy of SS #1. :applause: Look forward to shopping at Quality Comix more, too, as I love the site and the idea of buying from a fellow boardie,

One of my favorite books! Great choice. Now you need a number 4. A while back I had a game where I gave away an SS1. I think Oneasian won that one.

has the last grails game began?

Not yet . . . still waiting for McMiles/Flee-Marquette to run their game . . . :baiting:

An announcement will be coming shortly for the last of the 3 Grails-Game Holiday editions. The contest will begin tomorrow at 12 noon. The rules and a head-start / sneak-peek will be posted this afternoon. :shy:

The rules for the Flee/MCMiles Grails contest are as follows. We are looking for the name

of a real person. The following story is fiction, but the characters are real people. There will

be four picture puzzles that will reveal the clues needed to determine the correct name/answer.

First person to post the final answer (person's name) is the winner. The winner

will receive an X-Men #58 CGC 8.5 and we are adding an X-men 222 CGC 9.4 Marc Silvestri

Signature Series! Good Luck!

The Story:

If you had any aspirations of being a cartoonist in the 30's, then you dreamed of joining

the bullpen of William Randolph Hearst's King Features Syndicate. Hearst's newspaper

empire launched a significant number of our treasured comic strips. Blondie, Bringing

Up Father, Katzenjammer Kids, Prince Valiant, Flash Gordon, the list is endless. Even

though he kept busy overseeing his empire and rubbing shoulders with heads of state, he

always kept a watchful eye on his beloved "funnies".

My grandfather worked in the mailroom of the New York office of King Features. He

sorted the mail into the boxes so the clerks could deliver them floor by floor. It was boring

work and he was on his feet all day, but he was glad to be employed. The highlight of his

day was when correspondence from a certain artist would come in. He was instructed to

put it in a particular slot and it was not to be delivered. None other than Mr Hearst would

come down to the mail room and pick it up himself. Everyone knew that if there was a

letter in that slot, that they better mind their p's and q's, because a visit was imminent. The

curious thing was that he would always look at the artwork, tear it up and then throw it in

the trash right there in the mailroom. On one such visit, while looking at the artwork, he

received an important call and just tossed the strip in the waste basket as he hurried out.

Grandpa fished it out when nobody was looking and took it home with him to his apartment.

The art was similar to a lot of the other budding cartoonists looking for work, but for some

reason, this artist was handled differently. Grandpa didn't tell a soul and kept that comic

strip squirreled away in his dresser. Years later,when the turmoil in Europe blew up into a

World War, Grandpa's number got called and he prepared to head off to boot camp. On his

last day of work, he got up the nerve to ask Mr Hearst how come he didn't like that particular

artist. Mr Hearst seem startled, but realizing that the man standing before him was about to

leave to defend his country, he smiled and said "come up to my office after you finish work

today". Later that evening he ran up the flights of stairs to the top floor and was quickly

ushered into a waiting room. A few minutes later, a secretary came out and handed him an

envelope and said that "Mr Hearst was tied up, but he said to give you this and to say that

the answer to your question is contained within."

On the subway ride home, Grandpa kept a firm grip on the manila envelope, his mind

racing at the possibilities of who the mystery artist was. Once he arrived home and secured

the locks on the door, he rushed over to the kitchen table, tore open the envelope and

pulled out 4 pictures.......

kitchentable2.jpg

Grails Game, the "Flee/MCMiles Edition", will begin tomorrow at 12 Noon Eastern Thursday,

Jan 3rd in its own thread.