• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM Mcfarlane question

12 posts in this topic

I have not been interested in OA for very long, maybe 1 1/2 years. With that being said, can anyone shed some light for me on this:

How were pages sold or acquired of Mcfarlanes work on ASM? Was it a mad house or were pages acquired for reasonable sums (back then)?

Any info would be very appreciated!

Rac

Todd sold his early stuff and raised his prices as he gained popularity. He personally told me that he sold pages similar to the one I just parted with in the Marketplace for around $175. He also told me that he traded some of the covers for sports collectibles.

"back then" or even just 3 or 4 years ago, OA (and alot of assets) were reasonably priced. Before Y2K, $175 could get you alot of nice stuff, and when you take it back even earlier when McFarlane's ASM came out, I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy covers for that price (this is my speculation not fact, but when I started collecting in 1998, pages that went for $125 are going for over $1K today)

Malvin

Todd ASM pages that used to sell for $175 upon initial release now eBay for at least $1,600. His OA pages and covers were quite plentiful as his Image colleagues Liefeld, Erik Larsen and himself were advertised in Wizard mag in all the local Pacific Northwest comicons especially after Platinum Spider-man came out.

I remember right at the time Spider-man #1 came out he appeared at the Spring Atlanta COmics Expo (the Dragon*Con people were trying to get another con going) and he had what was left of his ASM art for sale. A friend of mine picked up a few pages from #238 with Spidey and Hulk for $200 each and I was dissapointed as he had just sold the cover to #312 a few weeks earlier.

There is a forum on the ComicArtFans site that lists old ads for original comic art. The McFarlane section has ads featuring his art from back in the early 90's. Here is a link:

The Toddler

Best,

What can I say... wish I was into OA back several years ago... Who knows, maybe back then I would have thought that $200 was too much for a Mcfarlane ASM page. Oh well...

tonofbricks.giffrustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifmakepoint.gif

Thanks for the link, amazing when you think about today's pricing.