• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do I love O/A but can't read Marvels Essential series?

7 posts in this topic

Love O/A, I love it, art for arts sake in full living black and white to be truly appreciated. The same way a Marvel Essential book is printed and sold in living black and white. I wish, something seems missing and no matter how hard I try I can't get into reading a non-coloured story for the life of me. Have I been conditioned that a book must be coloured to be read or enjoyed? Anyone else feel the same way? Loving O/A but hating B/W comics would be an oxymoron wouldn't it? Or am I just the *spoon*? Please don't answer that smile.gif

Jim

Have a stack of unread essentials for the same reason. Always figured I would just get around to them eventually, because there's some great stories. The two I have at the top of the "To be read" pile are Essential Tomb of Dracula Vol. 1, and Essential Howard the Duck Vol. 1. Most any other book I have to read via reprint, I either use scans or masterworks.

Love O/A, I love it, art for arts sake in full living black and white to be truly appreciated. The same way a Marvel Essential book is printed and sold in living black and white. I wish, something seems missing and no matter how hard I try I can't get into reading a non-coloured story for the life of me. Have I been conditioned that a book must be coloured to be read or enjoyed? Anyone else feel the same way? Loving O/A but hating B/W comics would be an oxymoron wouldn't it? Or am I just the *spoon*? Please don't answer that smile.gif

I was exactly the same way..Tried to read the Dr Strange run in Strange Tales and the Iron Man early TOS issues as essentials a few years ago and didn't enjoy it at all...never finished either book...but then I tried Tomb of Dracula and now Moonknight and I like them a lot better.

I think a lot depends on the source material, Bronze Horror seems to work perfectly in B/W....while some other titles just need the color

I don't have any problem reading the b&w collections...especially if the comics were first released in black and white.

Y'see, I also like a lot of independent comics -- big plus (but not the reason I read independents), the OA is usually much, much cheaper -- and the independents can't afford color. Read enough of 'em, you get used to it.

i try and try but I can't get into them. Now I could read leifeld x force in absolute form. Well that might be pushing it.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think a lot depends on the source material, Bronze Horror seems to work perfectly in B/W....while some other titles just need the color

Exactly!

Tomb of Dracula is a perfect example of a comic that works excellently in b&w.