• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

#1 Problem with the X-Men

32 posts in this topic

I like others love the Shi'ar arc currently in Uncanny and you wont find many current writers better then Brubaker so enjoy him while you can. In a way I kinda hope Brubaker can start something good again like Byrne/Claremont did because its where they started. The artwork is well above average and the pace of the story could pick up some, but its okay overall. I look forward to see the Crystal again how long has it been 30 years? Lets see what happens can it be any worse then the last few years. Only Morrison's run was worth mentioning in the last 10 years or so.

Marvel has decided for the last few years to have all the X titles cater to a different type of X fan. Whedon draws in a certain type that likes continuity and well driven stories.(I enjoy his first like 8 issues.) Carey and Bachalo cater to the 90s X-men fan who enjoys a much more manga still art and more diverse storyline and less continuity. I guess for them its successful. I haven't loved the X-men in years and I mean like at least 15 years. Its stopped being decent with Lee and Claremont were done in my opinion and then it was only good some times. As pointed to earlier there are too many mutants. This up coming Extinction storyline shows promise. The X-men need to get back to their roots. Its about being different, trying to get along a society that scorns you, facing down bigotry and hatred, and saving the world. AND for Pete's sake get a Decent artist long term and kill off a title or two. Until they start doing some of that again I dont think they will ever be good again.

Okay, i also like X-factor, and Ultimate x-men is okay. Those are read-able too!!

Ultimate X-Men is completely terrible. Kirkman is good but not this stuff. There is way too much decompression in the UU.

My last favorite X-Men story was the crossover called X-tinction agenda with Jim Lee. Art was great and story was decent. The only stuff I can stand from today is the Astonishing X-men.

The stories today carry too much baggage and get you no where fast. Ohhh and continuity is all *spoon* up.

However, has Colossus been seen anywhere outside of the pages of ATONISHING? If not, there you go, but if so then I guess it is in continuity.
- appeared in last month's new X-Men. Which is after HoM as the O.N.E. are still shown patrolling the mansion

- mentioned by name in this month's New X-Men

- will probably show up in the future issues of the current arc of New X-Men - which deals with his sister, Illyana

- showed up in Uncanny about a year ago. Rachel Summers walked in on some Kitty-Colossus alone time and said "oh, welcome back"

if that's not "in continuity" then i don't know what is.

juggle.gif

As stated in another thread: I have been collecting and reading Uncanny for over 25 years and X-Men since the beginning. I'm very, very close to cancelling both titles.

The last storyline I really remember is Fall of the Mutants...since then it's all been a blur.

I started reading Uncanny in the early 1980s, gave up on the title in 1998, then came back to the fold a couple of years later, only to give it up again maybe 2 or 3 years ago. Over the years, the art has gotten consistently worse and the storylines have, in general, not been good for many, many years now. For me, it was all downhill after the Mutant Massacre...the moment the X-Men started being dead to the world and living Down Under, hanging with Gateway, was the moment the title "jumped the shark". Most of what followed is purely unreadable to me (with a few notable exceptions, of course). Most of the '90s stuff is pure drek.

A big factor in what ruined things was because they created so many mutants, many of whom were just ridiculous. It was like 5% of the MU were mutants. What happened to the days when the only mutants around were the X-Men, New Mutants, Alpha Flight and their respective rogues' galleries?? When mutants became more common than Toyotas in the MU and mutant titles became more common than drunken Lindsay Lohan sightings, you knew the quality was going to plummet. And it did.

Hey now, what is wrong with living down under?? sumo.gifsumo.gif

I actually enjoy the Shi'ar run (it's the only x-book outside of ASTONISHING I have bothered to buy/read in over 15 years), but I think my reason for liking it is your reason for disliking it - been done before. It takes me back to the Byrne/Claremont/Cockrum era. You cannot place a value on nostalgia - I devoutly followed the X-Men from #94-350 (although I truly lost interest before #300).

As for Bachalo, I'm glad to have found someone else who feels EXACTLY the same about him. I used to absolutely LOVE his work on GENERATION X, which roughly coincidided with my dropping of all MARVEL & DC in the mid 1990s. When I hopped back on board about 4 years ago I was excited to eventually see him pencil the AGE OF APOCALYPSE anniversary books, but upon seeing the actual books I was appalled. You truly cannot tell what is going on in most of his panels - jumbled foreground and background composition, and don't even get me started on his action panels - utter confusion!!!! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Yes! I knew i could not be the only one. I also tried reading that Steampunk series he did because, like you, i loved his generation X. I'm not sure what it takes to understand that book, but i don't have it. I wish that guys could go back to closer resemble their original styles sometimes, but i don't think i have ever seen it happen. I was soooo excited when that Age of Apocalypse thing came back out, but after "reading" it i felt sick to my stomach.

I guess if X-men in space is your thing then this is a cool storyline for you. I just get bored with it. I think i like the X-men on the run from everyone type stories the best.

I actually liked the time they spent in Australia. This is back when Wolverine was not used in every series, and i really started digging the character. That team with Wolvie,Rogue,Storm,Longshot,Psylocke etc was a neat combination of characters. It also helped that Silvestri drew alot of those issues.

I agree that Brubaker is a great writer. I love all of his other stuff. Cap,DD etc

My sentiments are the same as Elijahs.

Brubakers the king, but not in Uncanny. I've been reading Uncanny for a VERY long time and it isn't much better than a lot of the stuff before it.

I also enjoyed the down-under stories and the Rogue/Wolverine/old Psylocke team. Even Jubilee as a side-kick to Wolverine. Silvestri was just great on the book. Siege Perilous was really fun. I always thought they would do more with it. Beyond the obvious books, this was one of my favorite times in X-men history. Even loved Inferno.

In my opinion, saturation is a part of the problem. But the real issue is the lack of mysteriousness. I loved the storylines that didn't necessarily have an ending. There was a plot that would be revealed down the line and had actual ramifications on the book. What ended up happening is that they went in to overkill on the mysterious factor, annoyed the fans, and had to kill that aspect of the book.

I know I've brought this up before, but X-Factor is a killer X-book. A fantastic read each and every month. I can agree that the first few issues were a bit slow. But it's really turned out well.

Pat

As much as I love Brubaker, i think his X-men stuff isn't the greatest. Can't be great at everything. But I think help step the X-men up a notch from the past.

I just have a problem figuring out the different titles. So Astonishing is the older x-men with Cyclops? because he's upset with Xavier? And all the X-titles are in continuity?

My understanding is that all the books marvel publishes through the regular and marvel knights imprint are in the same continuity unless it has been said otherwise. It is safe to assume that anything that relates to a future storyline for a character is a possibility, but not definite continuity.(Spider-man Reign) It seems that the jury is out on some of the Max titles. Things that have happened in past issues of Alias (bendis) were apparent in regular 616 continuity, but i think they are ignoring the Max Punisher series for the most part. It has been my understanding that all mainstream Marvel knights titles should be considered just as valid, continuity-wise, as any other core marvel series. The Marvel Knights imprint is really nothing more than what they consider a way of seperating titles that they think are "edgier". In reality there is very little, or no, distinction between the content of the MK line and the marvel super-heroes line. Putting that little "MK" logo at the top is only confusing some people into thinking that there are seperate continuities.

My understanding is that all the books marvel publishes through the regular and marvel knights imprint are in the same continuity unless it has been said otherwise. It is safe to assume that anything that relates to a future storyline for a character is a possibility, but not definite continuity.(Spider-man Reign) It seems that the jury is out on some of the Max titles. Things that have happened in past issues of Alias (bendis) were apparent in regular 616 continuity, but i think they are ignoring the Max Punisher series for the most part. It has been my understanding that all mainstream Marvel knights titles should be considered just as valid, continuity-wise, as any other core marvel series. The Marvel Knights imprint is really nothing more than what they consider a way of seperating titles that they think are "edgier". In reality there is very little, or no, distinction between the content of the MK line and the marvel super-heroes line. Putting that little "MK" logo at the top is only confusing some people into thinking that there are seperate continuities.

This is completely correct to my understanding and Astonishing X Men is definitely in continuity.