• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone please explain this?

39 posts in this topic

Current eBay auction for Action 61.

The Overstreet Guide has the phrase, historic atomic radiation cover.

This guy highlights the heck out of that one.

Is it just me, or is Supes simply putting out an oil-well fire?

If so, how does one correct the text in the guide?

confused.gif

Superman is plugging some radioactive ore other than kryptonite.

To a comic novice ....that line would seem to have a sexual conentation attached to it... 893whatthe.gif

Errr - welll - hate to say it but I think to a perv that line would ... well ... you know.

::ducking::

grin.gif

Funny how that is one of the comics of the month here at CGC...

I thought it was radiation at first, then thought oil fire.

Being an ex-geologist, I still think oil fire from an uncapped well.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Funny how that is one of the comics of the month here at CGC:

details.asp?IDComic=558

I thought it was radiation at first, then thought oil.

Being an ex-geologist, I still think oil.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I have a low-grade copy of this book, and you know I never even noticed the oil rigs until now!

But if that glowing brick isn't meant to be radioactive, why did the cover artist draw the workers with those shielded suits? Anything like that used in the oil bizness?

If so, how does one correct the text in the guide? confused.gif

kahml,

the jury's still out on what this cover is meant to show, but an attempt to answer your last question (quoted above) may be found here.

Cheers,

Z.

I have always thought the same thing, that it was an oil fire... it definitely looks like an oil fire to me. I suppose it could be radiation, given that this was the early days of the atomic era and the fascination with it at the time. But with the towers in the background and having seen the news footage of the oilfield firefighters in Kuwait wearing similar looking suits, I always thought the Overstreet notation of "radiation cover" was an error. confused-smiley-013.gif

Regardless, it's a beautiful cover. This has been my desktop image for quite a while now. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of #61 yet and the Archive edition is only up to #54 or #55 (I can't remember), so I can't tell if the story is related to the cover image or not.

If anybody else wants this desktop image, here you go: Action 61 Desktop

You're correct. It's an oil fire amongst obvious oil rigs. This one has blown its rig apart with the first incindiery explosion and the flames are the dead giveaway as well. Those are fire-retardant suits ca. 1940s. The area where Superman is compressing the flames back down upon themselves is either white or white-yellow hot giving the appearance of "radiation", which actually might have been given off dependent on the rate of compression!

Of course, the safer route would have been to "blow out" the fire, a la Red Adair and company. Does anyone here know why Superman's not very well thought out method (rapid compression back upon itself) of dealing with the oil fire may have opened a horrible can of worms that could have caused even more of a disaster? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of course, the safer route would have been to "blow out" the fire, a la Red Adair and company. Does anyone here know why Superman's not very well thought out method (rapid compression back upon itself) of dealing with the oil fire may have opened a horrible can of worms that could have caused even more of a disaster? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Did Supes have his Super-Breath in 1943? I'm unsure, but I would guess it didn't show up as a superpower until the 50s. But someone with more GA Supes knowledge might know.

I have a low-grade copy of this book, and you know I never even noticed the oil rigs until now!

Well Zonker - do the interior pages shed any light on the cover story????????

It's worth a try Pov, and I'll open my Action 61 up this weekend and let y'all know. Hasn't occured to me to do so til now because in this period there is little correlation between covers and interiors. For example, this book is in the middle of a run of wild WWII patriotic/propaganda covers, but inside Supes is doing the same ol, same ol, with not a single 'Japanazi' to be found. frown.gif