• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Carter of Mars Thread

883 posts in this topic

Funnies35fcsm3.jpg

One thing I always found funny with the artistic representations of the 4-Armerd Aliens was that (until I saw the cover above) ...

Such vivid primary color backgrounds on The Funnies covers that you've shown! They definitely belonged in the "rainbow" threads of a week or so ago. Great stuff.

Jack

ERB started much of what we all admire today on these boards. Theagenes inspires us to continue looking back to where this all began (he is also one of the nicest guys I've met in a hobby filled to the top of the ink well with nice guys).

This is all I have to contribute of substance, worth looking at for the great Micheal Whelan covers from 1979.

Deja Thoris :cloud9:

img761.jpg

Thanks, man - the feeling's mutual. (thumbs u

I dig Whelan's covers as well and I see he draws the Tharks' torsos anatomically correct, something I never paid attention to before BronzeBruce pointed out that little xenophysiological snafu.

Funnies35fcsm3.jpg

One thing I always found funny with the artistic representations of the 4-Armerd Aliens was that (until I saw the cover above) all the renderings I remember seeing from the Marvel series, etc. had them "anatomically unbelievable". I'd imagine you'd need another shoulder system, chest and pectoral muscles to operate extra arms with any strength or leverage. lol The second set just can't be stuck up against the side of a ribcage and function.

:roflmao:

Even Spider-Man when he grew the extra arms had "ribcage arms". How the likes of Gil Kane, Frazetta and others missed this... I'll never get.

here it is... (courtesy of spiderman-on-tilt)

tit19.jpg

ERB is quite possibly the single greatest adventure fiction writer ever... My absolute favourite story though is The Mucker (1930's South Sea adventure)... unfortunately, The Return of the Mucker (formulaic 1930's Western adventure) was not so good...

The JC of M thread could use a :bump:

Here are some early images of ERB's Mars series. His novel Fighting man of Mars was first serialized in the pulp Blue Book in 1930 in six parts, five of which had Mars covers by Laurence Herndon. THese are fairly tough to find in any condition.

BlueBook1930-04fc2sm.jpg

Holy , I had no idea there was a John Carter thread. I love this place.

I have a few Dejah Thoris pieces in my CAF link, below. This is my favorite:

dejahthorishoward.jpg

Not as cool as some of the books shown on this thread. I don't get jealous much, but dang, there are some stunning ERB books showing up here.

Up next is the extremely hard to find in any shape much less as nice as this copy is the Fast Action Story of John Carter of Mars! I dare you to show a better copy!!

DSCF2682.jpg

I love Ziggy Stardust!!!