• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Carter of Mars Thread

883 posts in this topic

And last for now is my cover to John Carter of Mars #3 Gold Key. This piece has never been on the market before as I got it from a writer who worked at Gold Key.

erb034.jpg

Great piece of art.

Just wanted to put the the published Jesse Marsh cover up too.

PICJOHNCARTERGOLDKEYFORBLOG.jpg

Amazing Stories Quarterly Fall, 1941. Contains first printing of John Carter of Mars and The Giant of Mars. In case you don't know, the Quarterly books have 3 plups that were returned to the publisher. They rebound them and put a new cover on it. So the insides are original 1st printings, just without the original covers.

Another interesting fact behind this particular story. (info comes from the book "Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Exhaustive Scholar's and Collector's Descriptive Bibliography") a simply great book for collectors of ERB!!

Those who knew ERB's writing style instantly felt that this story was not written by the same person who had written all the other tales of Barsoom. In addition to the stylistic differences and errors, we know that Burroughs left no notation in his notebook of having written it (rather conclusive evidence that ERB did not write it, because he was fastidious about recording the time he spent on his writing). Burrough's son, the artist John Coleman Burroughs, had written a Big Little Book in 1940 with the same plot, and it seemed likely that this story was the work of John, not his dad. The truth did come out eventually, Clarence B. Hyde, president of the Burroughs Bibliophiles, visited John Coleman Burroughs in Tarzana in 1963, and asked him about the authorship of this story. John admitted that he wrote it, not his father. Another Burroughs scholar, Bill Ross, visited John in 1976, he too was told that John was the actual author of the story.

DSCF2695.jpg

Thanks Theagenes, you have some really nice items I hope to score some day! If you ever come across any of The Funnies issues, would you let me know?!?

PM sent. :gossip:

And just for fun, I posted this book in Gold earlier but I don't think I've posted it in this thread where it belongs:

ASAnnual1927fcsm.jpg

Thanks Theagenes, you have some really nice items I hope to score some day! If you ever come across any of The Funnies issues, would you let me know?!?

PM sent. :gossip:

And just for fun, I posted this book in Gold earlier but I don't think I've posted it in this thread where it belongs:

ASAnnual1927fcsm.jpg

Eye Stalks :cloud9: