• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Carter of Mars Thread

883 posts in this topic

A discussion and appreciation thread for all things John Carter.

From the original novels to the Gold Key and Marvel comics to one of the longest planned movie productions in history. The first movie was planned and scrapped in the 1930s and has been an ongoing struggle ever since. A ray of hope came when Robert Rodriguez untertook the project and even hired Frank Frazetta on board. Due to his resignation from the Guild after Sin City he consequently was replaced on the Carter movie. It is on the back burner at Paramount for the time being but Favreau who is currently directing Iron Man for 2008 may be the next man to take it on.

1748671-frazetta3-lrg.jpg

1748671-frazetta3-lrg.jpg.3e0df4e88911e373b2425ca9fa43ce8e.jpg

That is a very impressive Carter collection. I've never even seen a few of those books before. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks! Some of the Funnies issues are really tough to find - it wasn't an easy run to put together. I'll try and post some individual scans when I get a chance.

As to the movie, I was really bummed when the Favreau project was dropped - I really thought he would have done a great job; he obviously was a fan and loved the material. sorry.gif

I have mixed emotions about the current Pixar project - on the one hand it will be disappointing to not see a serious live action JCoM, but on the other hand if they make a cool animated feature like Disney's Tarzan, then my 3-year old son will be just the right age to go see it in a couple of years. That would be a very cool experience to share one of my childhood heroes with him like that.

Any gaming miniatures fans out here? Mage Knight produced a line of figures that featured warriors obviously inspired by the Carter series Martians:

MKOM_022.jpg

There are a couple of others, but I can't seem to access the WhizKids site thoroughly.

John Carter's first appearance in comics was in The Funnies #30, April 1939 (top left in the group shot above). It's a Gerber 8 and a tough book to find. Here are the first two pages of the JCoM story from that issue by an unknown artist:

Funnies30int01edit2.jpg

Funnies30int02edit2.jpg

With issue #34 the writing and art was taken over by ERB's son John Coleman Burroughs. He would continue as the artist throughout the remainder of the run. Here's a sample of JCB's work from The Funnies #36:

Funnies36intsm2.jpg