• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Carter of Mars Thread

883 posts in this topic

From what I'm understanding is that Disney is worried about the awareness of this movie. People off the street were polled, and too few people even knew the movie existed. I think that has something to do with them calling it John Carter instead of Warlord of Mars, or Princess of Mars, or whatever.

True. I wondered that, too, when I saw that they hadn't even titled it "John Carter of Mars" (even though he was technically not "of Mars"), esp. when you see the red J, C, and M toward the end of some of the trailers. Calling him a warlord may convey the wrong image of him to people who aren't familiar with the character/storyline (since warlords tend to be the bad guys), though, so that might explain why they didn't use "Warlord" in the title. And "A Princess of Mars" could confuse it w/ the B-movie that was made a few years ago.

They could have gone with "Warrior of Mars" and picked up a few viewers.

I read an interview with Stanton in which he said that they dropped "Princess" from the title because they were worried that boys wouldn't be interested in a movie about a princess. They dropped "Mars" from the title because they were worried girls wouldn't want to see a movie about Mars.

By just keeping it "John Carter," they should be worried no one will want to see it.

From what I'm understanding is that Disney is worried about the awareness of this movie. People off the street were polled, and too few people even knew the movie existed. I think that has something to do with them calling it John Carter instead of Warlord of Mars, or Princess of Mars, or whatever.

True. I wondered that, too, when I saw that they hadn't even titled it "John Carter of Mars" (even though he was technically not "of Mars"), esp. when you see the red J, C, and M toward the end of some of the trailers. Calling him a warlord may convey the wrong image of him to people who aren't familiar with the character/storyline (since warlords tend to be the bad guys), though, so that might explain why they didn't use "Warlord" in the title. And "A Princess of Mars" could confuse it w/ the B-movie that was made a few years ago.

I read an interview with Stanton in which he said that they dropped "Princess" from the title because they were worried that boys wouldn't be interested in a movie about a princess. They dropped "Mars" from the title because they were worried girls wouldn't want to see a movie about Mars.

By just keeping it "John Carter," they should be worried no one will want to see it.

lol

Michael Whelan will allways be my favorite artist on the Barsoom characters.

The Del Rey Mars novels were my first exposure to John Carter, and still to this day, I can just look at this image of A princess of Mars and want to re-read the Series all over again..

michaelwelanprincess1.jpg

lol

+1...although the lengthy trailer looks quite good.

I want to like this movie and intend to see it shortly after release. I learned of John Carter of Mars when ACE paperbacks started to reprint many of the ERB works back in the early sixties with covers illustrated by Roy Krenkel Jr. they only did three of the series Thuvia, maid of mars, the Chessmen of Mars and A Fighting man of mars.

I believe ballantine books may have done the entire series.

Out of all the trailers I have seen I still like the first one the best. He is talking about the past about his uncle's passing I think.

I think its going to be fantastic I cant wait to take my whole family. My father bought these as some of my first comics as a early teenager in the 80s. I still get choked up about it considering we were flat broke at the time. Kids today are missing out on such a wonderful medium.

Just finished the first book in this series, and figured I would pass this on to other Burroughs Fans. It pays homage to Burroughs, but it stands on its own.

So yourselves a favor and pick this series up!!! (thumbs u

I was blown away by this book, I did not expect it to be this good. (worship)

Joel Jenkins Dire Planet series:

http://www.amazon.com/Dire-Planet-Joel-Jenkins/dp/0979732948/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331070895&sr=8-1