• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase New England/Dan Greenhalgh answers questions

438 posts in this topic

When it gets right down to it...the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9 is usually a function of what side of the bed some one got up on that morning....in my opinion anyway.

Dan,

While it is easy to think this, the actual numbers to not bear this opinion out. The statistics show that the differences between 9.8, 9.9, and 10 have more behind them than just whim. Valiantman, who keeps all these statistics up to date, can chime in with the latest numbers.

To be fair, if you revised that to the difference between 9.6 and 9.8...it is a much easier argument to make.

what statistics could you be possibly referring to that would argue against his statement? Did some one crack out 100's of 9.8's and 9.9's and have them regraded by an impartial expert 3rd party? I would agree that it is probable that the average 9.9 is better than the average 9.8, but I would bet there are a bunch of 9.8's out there that are at least as good as many 9.9 (or 10.0's) out there.

Just the 'raw' numbers, so to speak, of how many 9.8s there are versus 9.9s versus 10s. If it was whim they would not look like this:

CGC 10.0s: 1,028

CGC 9.9s: 4,131

CGC 9.8s: 197,585

CGC 9.6s: 149,120

This is as of 2/16 and covers all books graded. For these grades it's pretty safe to assume thay are made up of a lion's share of modern books. If the differences between these grades was purely whim, I think it is extremely unlikely we would see such a clean breakdown and massive disparity between 9.8 and 9.9.

There seems to be a very marked difference between 9.8 and 9.9 to CGC, in whatever voodoo they do.

Dan,

Didn't realize that I was your biggest customer over the years but, looking back, I sure did buy THOUSANDS of books from you and NEVER had a complaint. I can honestly say that there was only one mishap (I think it was over the Avengers 1) but that book still got a 9.4 and a blue label anyway! You were always honest and fair with me and I can not say that about every other dealer out there.

Glad you came onto the boards. It's nice to have one of the "old time" dealers aboard to share his thoughts and answer questions, etc. I have nothing but very fond memories driving up to your store (was in Wallingford) and then a few times to your house to buy books. Driving back from your store with boxes and boxes of raw gems (Winnipegs, Bloomfields, etc.) was a great trip home. I don't think we once ever had a disagreement or argument (accept when you would use your butt to back me down to make layups while I was always using my outside shot).

Of course, my fondest memory is that of December 7, 1995, when I drove to your store just in time to see the 3 "Texas" Fantastic Fours delivered (UPS??). Those 3 books (#1, #2 & #5) blew my mind and I was mesmerized. You sold me the #5 right on the spot at a fair price and gave me time to pay it off. I was on pins and needles taht whole day and night waiting to find out if Tom B. was going to take the Texas #1 or keep his copy. You even gave me your home phone to call you the next nite as you were overnighting him the 2 books (he kept the #2 of course and its a 9.4). I can't begin to express my joy the next night when you told me he had decided to keep his copy and send you back the Texas #1.

I still can't thank you enough for the opportunity to buy that book and for the time payments you gave me (15k down and the remaining 12k over a month or two). That was the best buying experience of my comic book life and it probably was fate that I showed up that morning when the UPS truck pulled in. I since sold the FF 5 (got a 9.2) and bought the White Mountain copy but obviously still have that FF 1 and am grateful to you for living up to your word and giving me first shot to buy it after Brulato balked.

So, welcome to the boards, Dan. If you get any more books from this Texas guy just let me know!!

Doug

Note the bolded part. I can't help but feel a little nauseous when reading about the "best experience of your comic book life" while wondering where the finances came for this. Obviously, this is speculative, but I wonder what an appropriate act of contrition might be?

When it gets right down to it...the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9 is usually a function of what side of the bed some one got up on that morning....in my opinion anyway.

Dan,

While it is easy to think this, the actual numbers to not bear this opinion out. The statistics show that the differences between 9.8, 9.9, and 10 have more behind them than just whim. Valiantman, who keeps all these statistics up to date, can chime in with the latest numbers.

To be fair, if you revised that to the difference between 9.6 and 9.8...it is a much easier argument to make.

what statistics could you be possibly referring to that would argue against his statement? Did some one crack out 100's of 9.8's and 9.9's and have them regraded by an impartial expert 3rd party? I would agree that it is probable that the average 9.9 is better than the average 9.8, but I would bet there are a bunch of 9.8's out there that are at least as good as many 9.9 (or 10.0's) out there.

Just the 'raw' numbers, so to speak, of how many 9.8s there are versus 9.9s versus 10s. If it was whim they would not look like this:

CGC 10.0s: 1,028

CGC 9.9s: 4,131

CGC 9.8s: 197,585

CGC 9.6s: 149,120

This is as of 2/16 and covers all books graded. For these grades it's pretty safe to assume thay are made up of a lion's share of modern books. If the differences between these grades was purely whim, I think it is extremely unlikely we would see such a clean breakdown and massive disparity between 9.8 and 9.9.

There seems to be a very marked difference between 9.8 and 9.9 to CGC, in whatever voodoo they do.

No offense, but the disparity in numbers means nothing other than they give fewer 9.9's than 9.8's. Doesn't tell WHY they give them.

RE: Vtcomics

Hi Phil.......I barely remember the incident, and I think it did involve a Batman #1

We have done many deals and as you said.....they were all pretty much event free.

Thanks for the positive comments.

You absolutely did not replace this one, as it wasn't lost.

You stopped payment on it as to a disagreement we had over dealings.

And if you have your old records you can look it up.

Check #3543 $850.00 - though I warn you this is from 1995.

But as I said, I'm glad to hear you've come around a lot over the years, I know I have also and in fact spent a couple of hours up at Steve's office a few months ago talking about old times.

At this point it's pretty moot, and not worth rehashing everything (which is why I didn't) but it does exist.

Sean Linkenback

Are you saying he still owes you $850??

No offense, but the disparity in numbers means nothing other than they give fewer 9.9's than 9.8's. Doesn't tell WHY they give them.

No offense taken, as your statement is not arguable. It is absolutely true. We have no idea of the WHYs. I would submit that the fact that there clearly is a "WHY", as evidenced by the disparity, that saying it is just "at a whim" to be very unlikely.

The numbers make it clear to me that there is an absolutely strict criteria that is followed to have a book break the 9.8 barrier.

The usefulness or utility of this criteria is the subject of another discussion.

Buttock,

As everyone who knows the story knows, I borrowed the 15k from my father after he called long time friend and noted GA collector Harry Matetsky and inquired if it was a wise purchase. Harry agreed with me that if it was a true NM FF 1, it was a no brainer and my dad came through with the 15k. I sold a bunch of other stuff to pay him back and get the remaining 12k (negotiated down to 10k) to Dan.