• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase New England/Dan Greenhalgh answers questions

438 posts in this topic

I bought a batman 27 listed in NEAR MINT back b4 cgc days, from your catalog. I actually bought a lot of books from you and was quite pleased. The batman 27 came back 7.0. Of course, pre cgc days, I was not good at grading. I know you have a lot of books to grade, just be conservative and fair. I have long since dumped that book, but I will consider buying from you again. Especially since you will take books back....What about the cgc fee?

RE; Ron Nasty....

That was one of the first shows I ever did.....

And that was long time ago......I am 49 now.

Dan - I'm still older than you! That was a good Con too. Not many around the state anymore.

RE; Ron Nasty....

That was one of the first shows I ever did.....

And that was long time ago......I am 49 now.

Dan - I'm still older than you! That was a good Con too. Not many around the state anymore.

Ron,

Are you a Huskie?

-David

The nastieness of the feedback is easy to explain. All it really takes is one word

Intimidation!

Dan is a Bully in the most classic sense.

If you dare to say anything bad about him he will attempt to hurt you and your reputation.

Does anyone who reads what he has written want to file a neg against him knowing the kind of response they will get?

Divad:

The easy explanation as to why we do so well with our auctions is because most people think we are good at what we do. There is no magic formula....I think results and feedback speak for themselves.

I know we can't make everyone happy, all of the time....so we do our best and takes the bumps like everyone else.

I am a Huskie....I Have my M.B.A from the University of Connecticut.

Go Huskies!!!!!

RE: JMG3637

Ok Jim...I knew you would show.

While I am spending the next hour or so dealing with the feedback question.....

Why don't you make your best case as to why I am such a lousy dealer. Personally....I know what happened between us...and I don't think you can make much of a case, if any...but give it your best shot anyway.

I promise...I won't hide or duck whatever is you want to say. And after we are through....I won't spend years trashing you behind your back and at every opportunity I get.

Everyone on these threads knows you don't like me...but I suspect most of them are interested in an unslanted version of the truth.

So go ahead.... lets air the dirty laundry.

RE: Action1kid

Our website is www.showcasene.com. It has been up for several years. This site is a solicitation to purchase comics.....not to sell them. Our primary venue for selling books at this time is Ebay.

I vaguely remember trying to purchase that book in San Diego.....it is a tough, tough book. Very few people will ever see one.

Now...about the feedback.....need to work on that as it will take some time.

I bought one problem free book off of Showcase,but when I saw his comments in the feedback section,I haven't bothered with his auctions since. They struck me as very unprofessional and unwarranted.

I look forward to reading Dans explanations on why he does this.

Can I play?

Do any of these bring back memories?

1. You advertise a Captain America #1 as an unrestored VF for $20,000. Buyer contacts you and wants to buy it. Sends you $10,000 and wants to review the book for restoration. You send the book. Book is found to be restored. Buyer sends book back and asks for refund of $10,000 deposit. You tell them you won't do it, and that you will hold the book until the balance is paid. Even though you admit you lied about the restoration.Buyer sees you in NY and indicates that you must produce the $10,000 by the end of the weekend or it will get ugly. You produce an AA 16 with a replaced masthead to cover the costs. Fortunately buyer had another dealer agree to pay the $10,000 for the AA 16 or he would have been hosed.

2. You get first crack at one of the largest golden age comic collections to hit the market. Cherry pick out over $100,000 in merchandise. Pay half up front and promise to pay the balance in short order. After being unable to sell some of the books you picked out for what you hoped, you stop payment on a $55,000 check and indicate that you cannot make good on the balance. You offer to trade out of the debt with a Supeman #1, a Captain America #1 and some other keys. All restored. Not having any other quick recourse, the seller is forced to agree to these terms. A well known collector/customer of the seller contacts the seller to buy the books, or some of them at least. He uses his influence with the seller to his advantage to buy the books basically at cost. He later confesses he was acting as an agent of yours to buy your own books back.

3. Why didn't you make good on your bet that you could beat Richard Evans and Surf City Ron in a game of basketball, and you would put up the deed to your house as the stakes?

These are just a couple highlights from your storied career. Please note that I have never mentioned any of this on the boards, at least not specifically, nor have I ever associated your name to any of this. But, this is your thread and you said you wanted to air it all out, so there it is.

None of the above was received second hand, I was an eye witness to it all. You were always treated as a friend and with respect, you returned none of the same.

About Feedback...this is not a scripted response.....and I don't expect everyone to agree with me......but here it is just the same.

First...it is a little unfair to point out the very few negative comments we have without mentioning the 32,000 plus positives.

I understand that the nature of criticism is to point out just the negatives....But I think pointing out the whole picture is more in line with fairplay.

Our policy is that we always leave positive feedback whenever it is left for us.

I have left some nasty feedback in the past....In my opinion, however, in most cases it was warranted.

First...anyone who is really familiar with us knows that we will always try and make things right given the chance. ALWAYS!!!!!

If you are not happy with a purchase...you can always return it for a full refund....no questions asked. Or you can email us...or call us. We are not that difficult to get in touch with.

The feedback situation, however, begs the question...if we always try and do the right thing....and try to make things right....regardless of circumstance, then when is negative feedback for us ever warranted???????

I wish some of you were in my shoes sometimes.....you would get mad too.

And that might be they key here...I do get mad and sometimes I take the negative feedback a little too personally. I am not perfect...and I freely admit it.

Negative feedback does hurt companies like ours in open forums....I personally think it is a mistake to let it go unabated.

Here are some of the situations I have run into...you decide.

One of the last bidders who left me 5 negative feedbacks did so because I would not take paypal from him, for a large, International purchase. It was new account...and it was unverified.

This outraged him and he said a number of things in his feedback posts that were untrue.

The bidder before that who left negative f/b did so because he got his book 7 days after he paid, during Christmas.

A couple of years ago...with the prodding and manipulating of some of the people whom are active on this thread...got a novice buyer to leave libelous feedback on our site which prompted me to just hand it over to our attorneys.

He thought a few of his 20 books had restoration and trimming. It turned out that he simply, like many collectors, lacked sufficient competence to make these determinations by himself.

We sent all of the books he had questions about to CGC....and they all came back in the grades advertised and unrestored. In the spirit of good will...I let him keep all of the books and refunded his money as well.

With the help and prodding of some of you on this board...he tried hurt my company.

If I am not willing to protect the reputation of my company...than who will??????

The bottom line is this....few, if any of you, have ever had a first hand experience with me and my company that ended in a situation that couldn't be resolved amicably. There has been, however, a number of comments posted on these sites...and spread through the years which would lead some of you not in the know to think otherwise. Many of the claims made about our comapnay on this site have been pure fabrications.

Anyone who feels otherwise is free to post their personal experiences in this forum for everyone to see and for me to respond to (other than Jim Greenspan who is going to give his best effort to build a case which, will be addressed, if and when he is able to do so).

To get back to the point.....I am not one for beating around the bush......some of the people I have had to deal with have been fundamentally dishonest, and they have been just moronic in their behavior....Maybe I should keep these comments to myself, and, maybe this doesn't explain all my comments....I just get so mad because everything can be worked out with us whenever we are given the chance.

Can I play?

Do any of these bring back memories?

1. You advertise a Captain America #1 as an unrestored VF for $20,000. Buyer contacts you and wants to buy it. Sends you $10,000 and wants to review the book for restoration. You send the book. Book is found to be restored. Buyer sends book back and asks for refund of $10,000 deposit. You tell them you won't do it, and that you will hold the book until the balance is paid. Even though you admit you lied about the restoration.Buyer sees you in NY and indicates that you must produce the $10,000 by the end of the weekend or it will get ugly. You produce an AA 16 with a replaced masthead to cover the costs. Fortunately buyer had another dealer agree to pay the $10,000 for the AA 16 or he would have been hosed.

2. You get first crack at one of the largest golden age comic collections to hit the market. Cherry pick out over $100,000 in merchandise. Pay half up front and promise to pay the balance in short order. After being unable to sell some of the books you picked out for what you hoped, you stop payment on a $55,000 check and indicate that you cannot make good on the balance. You offer to trade out of the debt with a Supeman #1, a Captain America #1 and some other keys. All restored. Not having any other quick recourse, the seller is forced to agree to these terms. A well known collector/customer of the seller contacts the seller to buy the books, or some of them at least. He uses his influence with the seller to his advantage to buy the books basically at cost. He later confesses he was acting as an agent of yours to buy your own books back.

3. Why didn't you make good on your bet that you could beat Richard Evans and Surf City Ron in a game of basketball, and you would put up the deed to your house as the stakes?

These are just a couple highlights from your storied career. Please note that I have never mentioned any of this on the boards, at least not specifically, nor have I ever associated your name to any of this. But, this is your thread and you said you wanted to air it all out, so there it is.

None of the above was received second hand, I was an eye witness to it all. You were always treated as a friend and with respect, you returned none of the same.

Oh! Just so it isn't all negative:

1. You did give a collector I know a sensational deal and generous payment terms on a Marvel Comics #1 you sold him. He is eternally grateful.

2. You did pay a fine multiple of guide for Action 2 -12 and paid in cash I might add.....

THIS IS A WARNING TO ALL COLLECTORS ABOUT DAN GREENHALGH OF SHOWCASE COLLECTIBLES.

I had a bad experience with Dan Greenhalgh of Showcase in CT.

In Spring 1999 I sent a GA book, Subby 3, VF unrestored, pretty book, to Dan for him to buy. Over the phone we talk numbers, but couldn't make a deal. He offered 2,000 but I didn't accept.I wish now that I had accepted his offer so that I could have avoided this:

I receive back the Subby 3 in a mutilated state. Specifically, the top edge of the front cover incurred MULTIPLE chips and tears along the entire edge. The Subby 3 was now a VG book. It was definitely the same book.I called Dan about this immediately upon recieving the book, and he just laughed. Later on I got 900.00 for the Subby 3 in a trade with a fellow collector.

Over the years I have related to other collectors about my "transaction" with GreenhalgH, but now I think I feel a little better after typing this on the forum.