• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not 1 Toronto Comic Con report yet? Heres mine

32 posts in this topic

Friday night was free admission day and 300-500 people were lined up before the doors opened at 5:18, just a few minutes behind schedule. The usual local area dealers were present, as were a half dozen dealers from the Montreal area. Harley was also present, as was one new addition to the Toronto show scene, Graham Crackers (more on them later). It was busy on Friday night, with most dealers reporting their best day of sales on that day. Plenty of elbow room, an a larger hall with carpeting was a subtle yet nice touch. I managed to pick up a super sweet FF#74 that's an easy 9.6, maybe even a 9.8 from Bruno for less than 9.2 guide. Heck I didn't even know you could still find hiddens gems like this not already slabbed. It was the only thing I picked up that day. Spent the whole 4 hours looking at everybodys wall books and never really got a chance to look through the long boxes. Met up with forumite CGC-Mint at the show, and we had a mini forum dinner....2 of us, but a lot of your names did get brought up smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I wasn't planning on going back on Sunday, but after finding out that 2 of my children were headed to birthday parties for the afternoon, I decided to spend the afternoon going through the bins and looking for some cheap reading material. I arrived on Sunday an hour after the show opened for the day, and I couldn't believe how empty the place seemed, especially after the business being done of Friday.

I don't want to embarass anyone but I'd hazard an educated guess that there were less than a 100 buyers in the room at any one time, there were times when I was the only person in the aisle. Because of this I did manage to have some decent conversations with some of my favourite dealers, Phil and Steve from Comic Book Addiction and Wes Hagen. I also got to pick the brains of Graham and James at Graham Crackers, who I can't wait to deal with more in the future. Total class acts, and their selection of multiples on almost every book was unrivalled. 4 or 5 AF #15's, 3 FF #5', 6 FF#50's etc and well priced to boot. I also caught up with forumite Cyclone Comics (John) on Sunday and he dispensed some valuable wisdom my way.

Anyways I had a great time, and look forward to it again next year even though I'm pretty sure the format will be changed most likely to a 1 day show (judging by other dealers input) not that there was anything wrong with the location, promotion or other outside factors. It's nobodys fault, just by judging by this event and the past Paradise events, I just don't know if the third largest city in North America is capable anymore of carrying a 3 day comic book only show. My 2 cents.

Jim

I'm not going to comment on the show, as I'm not supposed to. I will say that I went down on Friday night after work and returned Saturday late afternoon and had a good time, and everything I brought down to get signed was signed. I even picked up a few pages from Kevin Nowlan and Ron Garney. Thanks for the pass Aman.

I just don't know if the third largest city in North America is capable anymore of carrying a 3 day comic book only show.

Clarification: Toronto is the fourth largest city in North America (after New York, Los Angeles and Chicago). It has a very high concentration of comic book stores though.

Whether you agree or not, we've been doing quite well for the past four+ years as a 3-day comics-only show with the Paradise Comicon. So yes, I would say Toronto is perfectly capable of carrying a 3-day comic book only show. Hope to see you in June.

Here is my 2 cents!!

I didn't like this con at all! I went on saturday and the numbers were low when I was there!! Every single Toronto Comicon (Paradise or HSM) I set aside at least $1000 to spend and I didn't find much worth buying. I did buy 3 comics I wanted but I was hoping to buy more. I just wasn't feeling this con!! This is first three day show in over two years where I didn't come back another day and didnt want too!! Go back to a one day show!!

This comment is some of the dealers at the show but not all. Just because I am a black guy does not mean I going to steal your comics. Some of you see me at every show and probably starting to wonder why I do not buy comics at your booth or even look! Well, now you know why!! I will spend money on those who don't see me as a criminal when I come up to thier booth!!

I was in the process of making a thread and when I finished saw this one.

I had a good time.

Got to meet Kevin Boyd. Yay for me!

Hey Juggernaut, why you so upset? Your post made me curious

Kev: I'm not looking to start a flame war or pick a fight. Two issues I have. First a quick Google search, first hit Toronto Population 4.5 million, Chicago 3 million. Secondly I support Paradise, yourself and Pete and have been set up at the show twice and will again this year. There are empty aisles from time to time on Saturday and Sunday. Last year Basheer Maloof (sic) closed his booth down Sunday morning before the doors opened...I'm pretty sure he ain't doing that at WW Chicago or San Diego smile.gif

Jim

Kev: I'm not looking to start a flame war or pick a fight. Two issues I have. First a quick Google search, first hit Toronto Population 4.5 million, Chicago 3 million. Secondly I support Paradise, yourself and Pete and have been set up at the show twice and will again this year. There are empty aisles from time to time on Saturday and Sunday. Last year Basheer Maloof (sic) closed his booth down Sunday morning before the doors opened...I'm pretty sure he ain't doing that at WW Chicago or San Diego smile.gif

Jim

Jim, I'm not looking to start a flame war either.

Firstly, I googled and found a site that stated that Toronto was 65th on the world city list, after NY, LA and Chicago. Perhaps they do not include suburbs... and yours did?

Secondly, you would be surprised at what Becharra does at cons, he does what he wants, when he wants. And yes, I have seen him pack up early at cons like the New York National, you assumed that he packed up in Toronto because he didn't have a good show, which as far as I know was not the case. Becharra and Richie Mucchin of Tomorrow's Treasure are back at our show this year, and Becharra had quite a lot of good things to say about the con when I saw him in Motor City three weeks after last year's con in May, and said something about having to see a big art collection in Toronto on the Sunday while he had time which meant he had to leave early and he told Peter about it before he did go... I ended up buying a Sachs & Violens page and a Sears Justice League Europe cover from him that he got in that collection.

You expressed disappointment that the city couldn't support a 3-day comics only con -- but it already supports a 3-day comics-only con, so that struck me as an odd thing to write.

For what's its worth:

Chicago population counting suburbs is probably 8-9 million (WW Chicago is in the suburbs). Even Atlanta is approaching 5 mil. Charlotte, NC probably around 1 mil and they do a decent 3 day show.

But of course that's all relative to size of room, # of booths, etc,etc

For what's its worth:

Chicago population counting suburbs is probably 8-9 million (WW Chicago is in the suburbs). Even Atlanta is approaching 5 mil. Charlotte, NC probably around 1 mil and they do a decent 3 day show.

Houston is apparantly up there too, but I don't think they have any big conventions. Although there seem to be an abundance of them in Dallas so maybe it balances out the state.

Heroes Con has been around for 26 years, so to their credit, a lot of their growth and success has been from continuing to provide great comics only conventions for all of that time - and to their credit they have maintained support for it through some very turbulent years for the hobby/industry. Word of mouth and creator support are excellent for that show, and people come in from all over North America for it. I had a great time there last year.

For what's its worth:

Houston is apparantly up there too, but I don't think they have any big conventions. Although there seem to be an abundance of them in Dallas so maybe it balances out the state.

Heroes Con has been around for 26 years, so to their credit, a lot of their growth and success has been from continuing to provide great comics only conventions for all of that time - and to their credit they have maintained support for it through some very turbulent years for the hobby/industry. Word of mouth and creator support are excellent for that show, and people come in from all over North America for it. I had a great time there last year.

Never been to Texas, so I can't comment. But yeah, Heroes is Shelton's baby and a great comic show. I've tried to talk him into promoting a big Atlanta show since we seem unable to host a 3 day show ourself. (at least one that lasts more than 2 years) Although this weekend will mark another attempt at a saturday/sunday show hosted downtown, so hopefully that will change. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Tried to start a thread on this topic, but it looks like this will end up being the "report", so I thought I'd just post here:

So it's the day after, and I figured I'd start this thread to show the US residents on the board how the Toronto shows are.

Friday was the busiest day of the show (free admissions were available)

Saturday was less busy than Friday, but steady.

Sunday was even less busy.

I'll just be touching on the people that I personally met, as I didnt actually get to see everyone.

Texeira never showed up. Some flight problems apparently. No signed Ghost Rider for me. Garney wasn't there on Sunday because he had an early flight.

I had a chance to meet Dan Slott, the Avengers: Initiative writer. Nice guy as well. Talked a bit about plot developments in the book which pulled me in even more, and critiqued my pitch for a Captain America movie which I was thankful for.

Seeing and meeting Carmine Infantino was amazing. He was totally calling out to the good looking women that walked by as well, saying stuff like "Hey! You're gorgeous! You with that guy?" or, "You married?"

He's a funny guy.

The personal highlight for me was meeting Ron Garney. Why?

When I was first gettting into comics when I was a little child, the very first comics that I ever bought were Captain America comics from Waid and Garneys run at the end of vol. 1 from 444 to 454. I bought one or two issues and eventually loved it so much that I found the whole run. So it was amazing for me to meet the artist that essentially got me into comics and into Captain America.

Aside from making some sweet purchases and getting books signed/sketched on, I got some really nice sketches.

The Wolverine and Hulk sketches were for my girlfriend, and of course, the Cap sketches are all mine:

Francis Manupul - nice guy. Local artist. Did some work on WitchBlade.

th_36116_wolverine_sketch_122_1018lo.jpg

Aaron Lopresti - Ms. Marvel and Hulk artist. nice approachable guy.

th_36121_hulk_sketch_122_575lo.jpgth_36131_cap_lopresti_sketch_122_452lo.jpg

Dale Eaglesham - JSA artist. At first, I was just going to get some JSA books done, but when I saw the time and attention that he was giving the sketches that he was doing, I was instantly persuaded to get a sketch from him. Super nice guy and good conversationalist. He mentioned to me that he'd love to do a Captain America book or a Hulk book in the future. I love the sketch he did for me. Feels like a very silver-age/vintage look for Cap.

th_36143_cap_eaglesham_sketch_122_419lo.jpg

Ron Garney - aside from signing everything that I put in front of him and being an extremely nice guy, it was amazing to meet him and get a Cap sketch from him. He did some a amazing cover sketches on ASM #539, which I'm sure will be seen when they eventually come back from cgc.

th_36144_cap_garney_sketch_122_441lo.jpg

All in all, I had a great time helping out GothamCentral/Shockwave comics, and meeting the artists was great.

Any other people want to share their stories?

i liked it for the reasons dealers probably didnt, loads of room. i was there saturday and there didnt seem like alot of people but i liked it better because i could get to any log box i wanted without waiting in huge lines. i came, spent my money and left happy. highlight purchases for me were a vf tec. 411, a vg justice league 22 and a 9.4 cgc killing joke, my fave story ever

Kevin: I guess in all our silliness we also both forgot Mexico City, which I think smokes both T.O. and Chicago no matter how you break it down. smile.gif

As for our disagreement, I wasn't suggesting that Toronto couldn't support a 3 day show where the promoter will take a bath, I was just suggesting that perhaps T.O. can't support a 3 day show with a steady stream of attendance all 3 days. Thats all, nothing more and nothing less. No hidden jabs at anybody. At the August event, there is just as little elbow room for a family of 5 trying to browse the entire show on a Sunday afternoon as there is on the Friday night. This was the major complaint from most of the dealers I spoke to this weekend and many suggested that the free admission day should be on Sunday and not the Friday if this event continues in its current form next year. Friday you are going to get all the hardcores in no matter what, looking to scoop a deal before the next guy. The fringier collectors are going to fight rush hour traffic on a Friday night to make it down. Now if they have these free passes on a Sunday, the fringe collector/buyer might just make it down to at least look around. It costs him nothing to get in, and parking rates are cheaper on a Sunday morning than they are on a Friday afternoon...less to lose = likelier chance of showing up. Simple decisions like that create steadier streams of buyers. Thats all I'm suggesting.

Jim

I love the dealers, but they know that there's not a single comics-only convention on this continent that has anywhere near the numbers that the large multi-media, multi-genre shows do (like San Diego and the Expo and even the larger Wizard cons).

I'll refrain from offering my opinion of the format of this weekend's event here on this forum, as I don't give opinions on HSM events (as I promised I would not). Certainly I offered my opinion in person to Aman when we were talking at the show and they certainly had legitimate reasons for presenting the show in the format that they did.