• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yikes. What Galactus will look like in FF2...

113 posts in this topic

costume choices are hardly as important (especially to a team as fluid as the X-Men, we're not talking Supes here) to "core creation" as whether you make Galactus a shiny happy cloud or a gigantic looming demigod of a figure towering over the earth, making skyscapers look small.

I dunno, whats scarier? a giant whos only bigger than buildings, or a space cloud so enormous it pland to engulf the entire planet? or solar system??

Kirby drew clouds from time to time. None of them left anybody in awe.

But when I first saw Galactus as a kid, I totally got swept into the story.

He has the coolest helmet of all time. Hands down.

okay. let me rephase it:

Whats cheaper? A swarm space cloud or an intricate multi-faceted metal object that has to reflect every nearly object and light ource over a million edges ??? THATS Hollywood thinking baybe! "Yes, RJ, I think it could work!! Ill get right on the budget projections!"

Well a giant cloud WOULD be better than some kind of communal bug colony/virus that was used in Ultimate Marvel. Of course I never could bring myself to finish Ultimate Extinction....so i don't know how that turned out. confused.gif

Nothing would work better than a scene with Ben clobbering on Galactus' toes, Reed stretching all over the place, Johnny buzzing Galactus' face, and Sue...uh...oh yeah, she's invisible searching for the ultimate nulifier in Galactus' pants!!!!. blush.gif

Well a giant cloud WOULD be better than some kind of communal bug colony/virus that was used in Ultimate Marvel. Of course I never could bring myself to finish Ultimate Extinction....so i don't know how that turned out. confused.gif

Nothing would work better than a scene with Ben clobbering on Galactus' toes, Reed stretching all over the place, Johnny buzzing Galactus' face, and Sue...uh...oh yeah, she's invisible searching for the ultimate nulifier in Galactus' pants!!!!. blush.gif

I watched a nature channel show on ants this weekend.... and they showed masses of them devouring anything in their path by sheer numbers and their tiny size. They only lost when trying to take over a colony of termites because the termite tunnels forced the ants to fight one-on-one to a standstill! So I kinda like the Galactus as an unstoppable swarm with a voracious appetite! Seemed far more realistic than a pink-costumed giant. Far less visual sure, but Ultimate Avengers has been more real and gritty all along.

In reality a decision like this could be based on how they market toys.

Would the Galactus figure be too big for toy shelves? Cost/packaging??? frown.gif

Would the Galactus figure be too big for toy shelves? Cost/packaging??? frown.gif

On the other hand...are the "bust", statues, and heroclic makers getting more money/profit off of the oversized Galactus figures??? I don't know, but the figures are out there on the market. Triple the size....triple the money?????

Only if they made him actual size. yay.gif

There is just no way for an icon like Galactus to remain a cloud. L Fishburne's voice is a great choice...and too many characters would almost make the movie unwatchable. I am betting that the cloud appears at the end of the film after the Doom/Surfer saga nearly concludes...with a lead into FF #3.

Would be nice for the camera to rise into the skies in the closing seconds and get an up shot of Galactus dropping down to earth with us viewing him from the bottom of his feet upwards, arms crossed and all!! cloud9.gif

Just a single foot coming down and crushing a Starbuck's would be cool.

With Steve Borock running out in the nick of time for cover!! 27_laughing.gif

Or Stan the Man. 893applaud-thumb.gif

hail.gif

Or Stan the Man. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Isn't he dead? confused-smiley-013.gif

You can't think Galactus as a cloud is a good idea, or respectful of the source material, can you?

How is it a bad idea? Most of people going to see the film probably don't know what Galactus is or what he looks like. At the end of day all that matters is if it's a good movie...and there's no reason to believe it's not just because some fanboys think Galactus as a menacing cloud isn't right. If Hollywood solely depended on that group for the movie's success, then they have a dud on their hands...a group that barely keeps afloat monthly issues likely isn't the demographic they're going after.

Jim

You can't think Galactus as a cloud is a good idea, or respectful of the source material, can you?

How is it a bad idea? Most of people going to see the film probably don't know what Galactus is or what he looks like. At the end of day all that matters is if it's a good movie...and there's no reason to believe it's not just because some fanboys think Galactus as a menacing cloud isn't right. If Hollywood solely depended on that group for the movie's success, then they have a dud on their hands...a group that barely keep afloat monthly issues likely isn't the demographic they're going after.

Jim

Jim,

How is making Galactus a cloud respectful of the source material? Cause that's the question I'm asking and the point I'm trying to make.

Your points are valid, but they do not address my question.

How is making Galactus a cloud respectful of the source material? Cause that's the question I'm asking and the point I'm trying to make.

Maybe because a huge human looking alien in a skirt with horns on his helmet is just a little too "comic-booky" for the mainstream to find menacing.

And if the core story is there...a force who destroys planets for sustenance with a herald to lead the way then I'd argue that it's not being disrespectful to the source material at all. Just presenting it in a way for all people to relate to...

Jim

Dear Hollywood: Dont even think of putting the Green Goblin in ANY costume other than the rubber mask movable facial features costume from the comics or your Spidey movies are DOOMED.

oh, and dont cast Michael Keaton as Batman either. If you do it will one painful disaster and out for a franchise!

I'm with you on this. Do any of you really think that a purple and blue Galactus with his short shorts and big 'G' on his belt would translate to film? Props to everything Kirby did but there comes a point when you have to think realistically in terms of translation to film. If they went with the comic book Galactus nobody, and I mean nobody outside of some comic book fans would be able to keep a straight face. It would be a mammoth filmic blunder along the lines of Howard the Duck.

"respectful" is not the goal. Hollywood buys properties to make $$$$s. Theyll make whatever changes suit the budget or any reason they think makes sense in order to achieve that goal.

so YES it is not respectful. To which Hollywwod says, who cares? WIll it sell? is all that counts