• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yikes. What Galactus will look like in FF2...

113 posts in this topic

"respectful" is not the goal. Hollywood buys properties to make $$$$s. Theyll make whatever changes suit the budget or any reason they think makes sense in order to achieve that goal.

so YES it is not respectful. To which Hollywwod says, who cares? WIll it sell? is all that counts

thank you. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

Your view point is very valid- Hollywood will always follow dollar signs. So is mine though, when I say that they have a better track record when they follow the source material closer.

and again, I'm no literalist. Updating Galactus' look makes common sense and is a far cry from making him a happy ray of suns...I mean, a cloud.

Galactus was originally cool because he was a big honking dude with unlimited powers. And isn't it more fun to watch to the little guys beat the big one???

Where's the fun in taking down a cloud or swarm of some kind??? The biggest attraction was that he was a character who couldn't be beat. Period. The FF only created a standstill, not a victory.

Plus, Galactus' outfit IS the stuff of comic book legend. That overall celestial look gives a sense of grandeur that dwarfs most anything that came before or since.

And if the movie had been made back in the 60s/70s(yeah, I know the technology would have sucked)....then Galactus' foot would have crushed the DC Comics office building. headbang.gif

How is making Galactus a cloud respectful of the source material? Cause that's the question I'm asking and the point I'm trying to make.

Maybe because a huge human looking alien in a skirt with horns on his helmet is just a little too "comic-booky" for the mainstream to find menacing.

And if the core story is there...a force who destroys planets for sustenance with a herald to lead the way then I'd argue that it's not being disrespectful to the source material at all. Just presenting it in a way for all people to relate to...

Jim

I think that Galactus' form and shape (certainly not his wacky Kirbeyesque costume) is "core". You do not.

That's the sticking point for this discussion, it seems.

Galactus is a floow through of the earlier SA monster books Marvel was so fond of. He's this presence. He is humanoid, but very inhuman. He's godlike, and in a scary, Old Testament vengeful sort of way (human fears against god and authority and giants in the land). He taps into the human psyche in a different way than a "swarm" does (human fears against numbers and insects).

Heck, if the director wants "swarms", just do the Brood.

In a February interview Ioan Gruffudd talked about the fact that "Galactus's presense is felt but he is not physically in the movie. I guess it's to leave it open for an FF3. FF2 seemed to be the second building block to introduce the Surfer. But, if it sucks so bad will there be anyone left to see the third part? Or will they even finish the trilogy ascpect they seem to be creating?

Well a giant cloud WOULD be better than some kind of communal bug colony/virus that was used in Ultimate Marvel. Of course I never could bring myself to finish Ultimate Extinction....so i don't know how that turned out. confused.gif

Nothing would work better than a scene with Ben clobbering on Galactus' toes, Reed stretching all over the place, Johnny buzzing Galactus' face, and Sue...uh...oh yeah, she's invisible searching for the ultimate nulifier in Galactus' pants!!!!. blush.gif

I watched a nature channel show on ants this weekend.... and they showed masses of them devouring anything in their path by sheer numbers and their tiny size. They only lost when trying to take over a colony of termites because the termite tunnels forced the ants to fight one-on-one to a standstill! So I kinda like the Galactus as an unstoppable swarm with a voracious appetite! Seemed far more realistic than a pink-costumed giant. Far less visual sure, but Ultimate Avengers has been more real and gritty all along.

Galactus as a swarm wouldn't work. It would resemble the 'bots in the Matrix movies too closely.

Maybe because a huge human looking alien in a skirt with horns on his helmet is just a little too "comic-booky" for the mainstream to find menacing.

They could just update his costume like they did with the X-Men. Problem solved.

Having a cloud as Galactus may or may not work (leaning towards the latter), but it could be worse. Galactus as a swarm of robot pod things was, hands down, the absolute worst character "update" I have ever seen. Truly awful.

He's godlike, and in a scary, Old Testament vengeful sort of way

Sorry, but I never considered a blue and purple jumpsuit with stark white legs and a giant G on his belt to be anything remotely godlike, scary or Old Testament vengeful. When I was 12 years old I could let it go but when I look at his costume now it is merely laughable. If one character is in sore need of an apparel update it is Galactus.

I was thinking less solid you know Intangible.

These guys should look to the video game developers for inspiration on design if they don't want to use the classic Kirby look, there are some very talented people working in games.

He's godlike, and in a scary, Old Testament vengeful sort of way

Sorry, but I never considered a blue and purple jumpsuit with stark white legs and a giant G on his belt to be anything remotely godlike, scary or Old Testament vengeful. When I was 12 years old I could let it go but when I look at his costume now it is merely laughable. If one character is in sore need of an apparel update it is Galactus.

I was raised by fashion designers with a penchant for purple. What can I say? I was horrified. confused-smiley-013.gif

Seriously, I'm not arguing for the classic design and I've stated so in this thread, time and time again. I'm arguing that Galactus' form and meme is very intimidating. His affect, his soul-less eyes, his size. That to me, is Galactus. He doesn't just want to eat your planet. He can. (and how about the Hoover 4000 he uses? I wanna see that in the movie too). insane.gif