• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insurance for Comic Collection

12 posts in this topic

Hello. Has anyone on these boards had any first hand experience on insuring their comic collection? Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of having to use their insurance for claim on a loss? I only ask as I am now getting to the end of cataloging (sp?) my collection up to this point and I want some sort of safety net in case something may happen. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Eddie

If you do a search you will find more than one thread on this topic.

My home insurance covers my collection.

Mike

Most policies will not provide specific coverage for larger ticket items, and/or its restricted to theft only. Anyone have luck with Collectibles Insurnace Agency coverage in Canada or any other provider for that matter?

you need to itemize get every book you want insured and get it appraised by a 3rd party (deemed expert in the field) with a value.

who's deemed an expert and how are they compensated for their time?

If you do a search you will find more than one thread on this topic.

My home insurance covers my collection.

Mike

Most policies will not provide specific coverage for larger ticket items, and/or its restricted to theft only. Anyone have luck with Collectibles Insurnace Agency coverage in Canada or any other provider for that matter?

Believe me, I double checked this.

It varies... some insurance carriers will provide riders on home insurance. I looked at the option once but it was $200/month for coverage. I can't remember the details exactly but I decided to pass and decided to bear the entire risk. screwy.gif

Time will only tell if I made the wrong choice. confused-smiley-013.gif

Has anyone ever collected on one of these policies?

I use CIA, and no, I have never collected and hope I never will. I did however do a thorough check before using them, they are backed by the Hartford Insurance company and I have found no complaints. They answered every question satisfactorily and answered each time I called...and they are reasonable.

My house insurance wanted each book documented with an individual appraisal...and it just was not cost effective (especially for my fine collection of key issues that basically go no higher than VG mnus, minus, minus, and minus...)

I need to renew my policy, so if anyone has a better idea, I'm open:) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif