• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Storage: Which Drawer Boxes?

19 posts in this topic

Friends,

I need to switch my weak acid-free boxes for something tougher. The new drawer boxes seem to be much tougher and with more protective quality for my collection. I will be moving this summer, so I want to change out my comics soonest. I've seen the Drawer Boxes advertized, but they only come in long versions currently. These are about $10 each. I've also seen the short drawer boxes on Russell's ComicSupply website. I would prefer shorter boxes. Do any of you have experience with both? I'm not as worried about price as I am about getting the best protection for my comics.

Thanks...

V/R,

Mike

I prefer the short drawer boxes, but have tried both boxes and they're quite sturdy, but the short ones are much easier to move. Then again, I've only got 10 of them, so if your collection is quite large, the longer boxes might suit your collection better.

regular short boxes fit mylite2's and fullbacks, if you use the snugs over the top of the mylite/fullback combo you will need these type of boxes.

[

regular size, or silver/gold size? Because, I'm wanting to place a big order. I think the silver/gold with the fullback are too large for the width of the short box. I actually had to cut off 1/4" of board to make it fit (on a silver/gold).

I don't know why Gerber goes from 7" to 7 1/2" and 7 5/8" with no 7 1/4" in between. (why have the 7 5/8" at all?) makepoint.gif

Actually we have both the long and short ones now.

CS,

I just placed my first order with you guys! So I guess you are the #1 distributor of Egerber Mylites since you are cheaper than his own website! 893whatthe.gif

It was easy to navigate your site, I bought a SA Avengers while I was there (that was a nice combo, supplies and Silver Age) and checkout was a breeze (paypal, awesome way to go for a new customer). Only negative, I didn't get a "confirmation number" although I guess paypal covers that.

Looking forward to the order!

Nate.

Actually we have both the long and short ones now.

CS,

I just placed my first order with you guys! So I guess you are the #1 distributor of Egerber Mylites since you are cheaper than his own website! 893whatthe.gif

It was easy to navigate your site, I bought a SA Avengers while I was there (that was a nice combo, supplies and Silver Age) and checkout was a breeze (paypal, awesome way to go for a new customer). Only negative, I didn't get a "confirmation number" although I guess paypal covers that.

Looking forward to the order!

Nate.

Nate, you should have an order number in your account history. You won't know that after you check out unless you hit order status. But thank you very much for your compliments.

... So I guess you are the #1 distributor of Egerber Mylites since you are cheaper than his own website! 893whatthe.gif

Any distributor who UNDERCUTS its own customers on the distributor Website (in this case, other resellers) probably wouldn't be in business very long. gossip.gif

(The distributor or manufacturer usually lists at Full Retail.)

... So I guess you are the #1 distributor of Egerber Mylites since you are cheaper than his own website! 893whatthe.gif

Any distributor who UNDERCUTS its own customers on the distributor Website (in this case, other resellers) probably wouldn't be in business very long. gossip.gif

In all reality what we should do is match their prices exactly. There are a few companies which sell the Gerber stuff labeled with their own name and their prices are much higher.

I am thinking of raising the prices to create a standard pricing set at which it would be no lower or higher than direct.

Who knows though, we have went from nothing to something by selling that and other stuff so I might just keep it the same.

well sure, I get that. I'm just not used to distributors selling to the general public at all. (because of just what you said). I didn't really understand that EGerber was acting as the Distributor and a retailer, in that regard.

[

Who knows though, we have went from nothing to something by selling that and other stuff so I might just keep it the same.

no offense, but had you been the same price, I would have gone "directly to the source".

I suggest that you sold a $30 SA Marvel today because your Mylites were cheaper!

Also, do you sell in bulk of 1,000? Because that's my intention in about three months.

I sell both. While I like the short ones for space, convience, and weight purposes ; it is my feeling that the long ones are much more durable. This helps them to provide better protection for your collection.

Why do you feel the longer boxes offer more protection by being more durable?

Thanks... V/R, Mike

I feel the longer boxes offer more protection because of the construction of the inner sleve in the housing

That's really what I getting at. Are the shorter drawers as sturdy? Obviously a different company makes the two mentioned above, but DrawerBoxes is talking about making a smaller version.

V/R,

Mike

Well, shorts work just as well. I am just considering the amount of books that you are storing and what the investment is.

As far as the Drawerboxes I really do not think they will be able to compete now. At one time I tried to be a source for them to get the word out about their product. They were not able to handle the volume I wanted nor were they able to provide any type of solution to get them to me.

I think that cost wise, they have been beaten by these boxes. I also think they are now unable to compete with BCW's buying power and after awhile I think we will see the end of their company.

In all fairness I did try to warn them that people were going to mimic the idea and make it different. That big money was going to get ahold of the plans and essentially minus them out of the equation.

The cost factor will start to burn people away from the original system. A set of 5 from the original source runs $48.75. A set of 5 long boxes with 5 drawer sleeves from me costs $28.99

Functionally they are the same and just as durable.

Well, shorts work just as well. I am just considering the amount of books that you are storing and what the investment is.

As far as the Drawerboxes I really do not think they will be able to compete now. At one time I tried to be a source for them to get the word out about their product. They were not able to handle the volume I wanted nor were they able to provide any type of solution to get them to me.

I think that cost wise, they have been beaten by these boxes. I also think they are now unable to compete with BCW's buying power and after awhile I think we will see the end of their company.

In all fairness I did try to warn them that people were going to mimic the idea and make it different. That big money was going to get ahold of the plans and essentially minus them out of the equation.

The cost factor will start to burn people away from the original system. A set of 5 from the original source runs $48.75. A set of 5 long boxes with 5 drawer sleeves from me costs $28.99

Are you using these in your own company?

If you're using a standard long box without the lid, which is slightly longer than a DrawerBox and therefore will be heavier when loaded with more comics -- does a standard comic long box have two layers of cardboard at the ends or four? When you say they are the same and just as durable, are you just saying this or have you actually tested it?

These drawers have a design where the majority of the time the force applied is not vertical (lifting) but horizontal (pulling out like a drawer in a file cabinet, but without the use of rollers) As such, the end of the inner drawer needs to be pretty strong since you're basically pulling and pushing 40-50 pounds of comics in and out.

The BCW shells would work with short boxes in my mind due to the lower weight, but it probably wouldn't be as effective for long boxes.

There is also a gigantic hole in the back of the shell which is there to accommodate a variety of short box handle holes I assume.

If they're really the same, that's great. I'd love to save money. But from what I've seen on the BCW site (and their video on YouTube), they're demonstrating with EMPTY BOXES.

(Disclaimer: I own over 100 DrawerBoxes and over 500 long boxes and short boxes.)

Are you using these in your own company?

If you're using a standard long box without the lid, which is slightly longer than a DrawerBox and therefore will be heavier when loaded with more comics -- does a standard comic long box have two layers of cardboard at the ends or four? When you say they are the same and just as durable, are you just saying this or have you actually tested it?

These drawers have a design where the majority of the time the force applied is not vertical (lifting) but horizontal (pulling out like a drawer in a file cabinet, but without the use of rollers) As such, the end of the inner drawer needs to be pretty strong since you're basically pulling and pushing 40-50 pounds of comics in and out.

The BCW shells would work with short boxes in my mind due to the lower weight, but it probably wouldn't be as effective for long boxes.

There is also a gigantic hole in the back of the shell which is there to accommodate a variety of short box handle holes I assume.

If they're really the same, that's great. I'd love to save money. But from what I've seen on the BCW site (and their video on YouTube), they're demonstrating with EMPTY BOXES.

(Disclaimer: I own over 100 DrawerBoxes and over 500 long boxes and short boxes.)

I have used both. If your using double walled long boxes then they are the same as far as thickness.

The way our shop is set up we don't have a need for them currently. We have 100 feet of double sided racks so I have yet to move them to the drawer system.

While I haven't done any scientic tests to show durability they look and feel very very similiar to me and with books in them they feel very very similiar.

I guess the only way to tell is to try them out yourself and see if you like them.