• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Four comics...

34 posts in this topic

In the discussion of Quality vs. Quantity, action1kid's collection of only four comics is the essence of quality over quantity. Action1kid sold his collection of GA keys to buy a nice copy of Action #1. Most of us sell comics off to buy some other comics, but what if you took that to the extreme. What if you compressed your collection down to only four comics, what would they be?

For me, if I sold everything off I think I would buy a copy of All-American #61 (1st Solomon Grundy), Batman #11 (classic Joker cover), Detective #140 (1st Riddler), and an Amazing Fantasy #15 (1st Spider-man). Then, I could concentrate on upgrading those comics and eventually compress that down further to only one comic... Detective #27 cloud9.gif.

So what would your four comics be? popcorn.gif

Amazing Fantasy 15

Amazing Spider-Man 1

Fantastic Four 1

X-Men 1

(and If I could fudge to five) Avengers 1

those are realistic in high grades.

my unrealistic 4 would be something like

First Cap

First Marvel Comic

etc. etc.

About to post a thread similar to this about my grail aquisition plan (Action #2) essentially I will be selling all my non-paratrooper books when I have enough in $ amount to afford a nice copy. The plan will come to fruition in oh....5-6 years.

If I had to compress my collection down to four books, I would just sell them all and quit. For me there would be no point in having only a few comics, or in starting over again. Once I got my money out I wouldn't want to turn around and put it right back into the hobby.

Owning just 4 comics would simply not be satisfying enough for me confused-smiley-013.gif

Now owning 4 pieces of OA covers or dynamic splash pages would be more justifying for me gossip.gif

Owning just 4 comics would simply not be satisfying enough for me confused-smiley-013.gif

Now owning 4 pieces of OA covers or dynamic splash pages would be more justifying for me gossip.gif

I agree 100%... thumbsup2.gif

when I had ASM #1, AF #15 and FF #1 ... I thought after a while... "I'm bored" yeahok.gif sold them and enjoy just flipping books from that...

when I had ASM #1, AF #15 and FF #1 ... I thought after a while... "I'm bored" yeahok.gif sold them and enjoy just flipping books from that...

Well I used to have my holy grail in my collection but if I had a 9.8 copy of X-Men 1 I would be happy and stop collecting confused-smiley-013.gif Thats just me

Thats only three. poke2.gif

I would like NM copies of

MPFW #1

Amazing man #5

Amazing man #18? he his fighting giant nazi apes

Tec #1

Amazing Man 22. Good choice. Centaurman owns the Church copy and it's incredible in person.

I was gonna say #22 but I have not seen a copy in such a long time and could not remember. foreheadslap.gif

Note to self: Rub Out Centaurman Steal Church Copy! devil.gif

Amazing Man 22. Good choice. Centaurman owns the Church copy and it's incredible in person.

You could buy it if you sold off part of your collection. poke2.gif

I doubt many of us would be happy with only four comics. But for me, most of my enjoyment comes from reading TPBs and archive editions so it wouldn't be a huge sacrifice for me to only own four actual comic books.

I'm pretty sure Action1kid has much more Superman paraphernelia (original George Reeve's Superman costume etc) from what i remember, so in spirit there is not way a collector could actually limit himself to just 4 pieces but in the spirit of the thread I'd pick the following 4, not for doller value but more for "drool appeal". These are books I have lusted after and dreamt about since i was a little tyke (OK the JIM #83 is a recent thing)...all in hi grades:

JIM #83

Marvel Comics #1

Action #1

'Tec #27

I don't think I would do it out of enjoyment.

Of course, from an investment standpoint that is a trade that can probably be very beneficial. But as for enjoyment...it sounds pretty boring to just have four books even if they are all grails. confused-smiley-013.gif

In the discussion of Quality vs. Quantity, action1kid's collection of only four comics is the essence of quality over quantity. Action1kid sold his collection of GA keys to buy a nice copy of Action #1. Most of us sell comics off to buy some other comics, but what if you took that to the extreme. What if you compressed your collection down to only four comics, what would they be?

For me, if I sold everything off I think I would buy a copy of All-American #61 (1st Solomon Grundy), Batman #11 (classic Joker cover), Detective #140 (1st Riddler), and an Amazing Fantasy #15 (1st Spider-man). Then, I could concentrate on upgrading those comics and eventually compress that down further to only one comic... Detective #27 cloud9.gif.

So what would your four comics be? popcorn.gif

If anyone picked anything other than Gold or Silver age books, then they would just be plain stupid and don't know anything about comics.

My picks would be :

Sensation Comics #1

Marvel Comics #1

Detective #27

Captain America #1