• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rant . . .

25 posts in this topic

Anyone else here getting more than a little fed-up with having to wade through items of 'non-original art' that end up listed in the 'original art' sections of eBay?

I know some people here collect printing plates - but 'original art' they ain't!

I just sent this message to the lister of such items on eBay:

"Any chance you can find some other part of eBay to sell these printing plates? They're certainly not items of 'original art', and you're clogging-up the original art listings with these incorrectly identified items . . ."

If anyone else here feels the same way, perhaps we can all start sending similar messages out to these guys wasting viewing space on the original art listings?

And I'm refusing to mention those never-ending 'Jack Adler' listings . . .

I always laugh when I see that one person that manages to list the water faucet under cover art. There was one up there for about a month a whie back. What are you gonna do though? Ebay doesn't really care as long as they get their fees.

I always laugh when I see that one person that manages to list the water faucet under cover art. There was one up there for about a month a whie back. What are you gonna do though? Ebay doesn't really care as long as they get their fees.

"We sell everything – AND the kitchen sink ..."

Ah, Mister Trent, we're on the same page.

The printing plates bug me -- but at least you can tell the listing is a printing plate and you don't waste time looking for the details. The 'Jack Adler' collection? I wish the Jack Adler family had kept each and every one of 'em -- but, again, the "Buy It Now" price ("Wow! A Neal Adams' STRANGE ADVENTURES cover for under $130! And no one else has bid!") warns you to keep away.

I'm also irritated by 9-panel pages that are advertised as a SPLASH; splashes that are listed as an ORIGINAL COVER because -- sez the seller -- they look so good, they should have been the cover (and they don't look that good); and people that offer an old fanzine as original artwork because Dave Stevens did a sketch for the back cover.

And this is being written by a guy that really, really likes Dave Stevens.

So thanks for the post.

I personally hate the original art that has nothing to do with comics and can only loosely be defined as "art." Can we please have just one day where we don't have to see another amature depiction of a topless Batgirl and Supergirl hooking up?

NTTAWWT

Here's the response I got from the seller of these printing plates :

"I am sorry you don't like the listing area of these plates but they

are original art items and there have been over 100 of them sold

to ART collectors over the last 6 months from this area so there

are many people that don't agree with your knowledge of what

original art is."

Dr. Johnson

And here's my response :

"An artist has a blank canvas or piece of illustration board in front of him. Using imagination, skill, pencils, pens, brushes, inks, colored inks or paints he/she transforms that blank area with pictures. The work that he creates, directly on to that board or canvas is ORIGINAL ART. A printing plate, which I wouldn't doubt holds appeal to some collectors, is NOT original art - it is part of the PRINTING process. Show me a dealer or collector who believes a PRINTING PLATE to be ORIGINAL ART and I'll show you an uninformed FOOL. They are NOT original art items as you would have people believe. As such, they are out of place in the Original Art section of eBay. Nothing to debate . . ."

Terry Doyle

End of . . . sign-rantpost.gif

Here's the response I got from the seller of these printing plates :

"I am sorry you don't like the listing area of these plates but they

are original art items and there have been over 100 of them sold

to ART collectors over the last 6 months from this area so there

are many people that don't agree with your knowledge of what

original art is."

Dr. Johnson

And here's my response :

"An artist has a blank canvas or piece of illustration board in front of him. Using imagination, skill, pencils, pens, brushes, inks, colored inks or paints he/she transforms that blank area with pictures. The work that he creates, directly on to that board or canvas is ORIGINAL ART. A printing plate, which I wouldn't doubt holds appeal to some collectors, is NOT original art - it is part of the PRINTING process. Show me a dealer or collector who believes a PRINTING PLATE to be ORIGINAL ART and I'll show you an uninformed FOOL. They are NOT original art items as you would have people believe. As such, they are out of place in the Original Art section of eBay. Nothing to debate . . ."

Terry Doyle

End of . . . sign-rantpost.gif

And here's the response I got from 'Dr Johnson':

"Your lack of knowledge is understood however there are many

people that do not agree with you "

Dr. Johnson

Anyone else care to enlighten the good 'Doctor' as to what constitutes a piece of Original Art'? I've come to the conclusion that banging my head against a brick wall is painful and pointless exercise. wink.gif

Fact: The printing plates are not original art. They are just a byproduct of the printing process.

Fact: The seller has sold a lot of these in the last six months in the OA category.

Fact: The OA category gets him a lot more traffic than say the "crappy stuff no one would think of buying" category would.

Fact: No matter how many of us email him, he's going to continue to list his auctions as OA because that's where they sell.

Fact: There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

grin.gif

grin.gif

You know...you had to go and bring that up. We were offered extra credit in Algebra class if we could list all 293 ways to make change for a dollar. I think I came up with 292 of them...and needed help on the last one. Truth of the matter...once you list 292 different ways to make change for a dollar, your motivation at that point to then go through the list and try to find the one you're missing? Less than zero.

Fact: The printing plates are not original art. They are just a byproduct of the printing process.

Fact: The seller has sold a lot of these in the last six months in the OA category.

Fact: The OA category gets him a lot more traffic than say the "crappy stuff no one would think of buying" category would.

Fact: No matter how many of us email him, he's going to continue to list his auctions as OA because that's where they sell.

grin.gif

Yes, it's obvious that the seller want to maximize his selling potential by tapping into the OA section of eBay. What I do find particularly irritating, is his insistence that what he's selling IS original art. He refuses to believe otherwise. 893naughty-thumb.gif

grin.gif

You know...you had to go and bring that up. We were offered extra credit in Algebra class if we could list all 293 ways to make change for a dollar. I think I came up with 292 of them...and needed help on the last one. Truth of the matter...once you list 292 different ways to make change for a dollar, your motivation at that point to then go through the list and try to find the one you're missing? Less than zero.

Sorry Court - I pulled that one from a random site on the internets. Didn't mean to pour salt in an old wound. 27_laughing.gif

Ah, Mister Trent, now you've ticked the printing plate guy off. Today, he loaded eBay with a buhzillion of the things.

Last time I looked, he had about 250 of those plates on auction. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How many of these are likely to sell, I wonder? They're not exactly cheap. popcorn.gif

If you're into reversed negative images , you're now spoiled for choice. grin.gif

Incidentally, whilst I regularly buy stuff on eBay, I've never actually sold anything. Out of curiosity, if Mr Printing Plate fails to shift a majority of his expensive collectibles - how much in eBay fees will he be out of pocket (without going back to all his listings, starting prices are around $250 a pop)? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And if Mr Color Guide shows his face anytime soon . . . I think I'll keep my big mouth shut! wink.gif

Mister Trent, I am with you. The printing plates, the Adler pages, the mis-labled splash pages (and other mis-labled stuff) are very annoying. And how can anyone in their right mind call the printing plates art? It's debatable if even the color proofs and such are OA.

I have "my ebay" page search page loaded up with my preferences going to my e-mails, it helps me save a lot of time. But yeah, I still like to scroll the OA portion of the site sometimes and it can occasionally be annoying.