• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing Issues on the Boards

254 posts in this topic

So say they and all three of the other guys who pat each other on the back whenever one of them posts something saying that.

If you think I'm going to pat Brad's back with anything other than a 2-by-4, you've lost your 893censored-thumb.gifing mind! makepoint.gif

On the other hand, I WILL pat Nick's back, because he bought me a lot of bitters (mmm, warm flat English beer cloud9.gif) when I was in London.

Nick made you drink motor oil didn't he Tim !?!?! 893whatthe.giftongue.gif

Actually, I love the stuff. Bitters, I mean, not motor oil.

crazy.gif

Man, you guys in North America are all up early this morning!

Kinda, but that lot is in a class by themselves on the annoying scale. They are the "Burger King Collectors" -- they don't just want disclosure; they want it "their way," and ONLY their way. screwy.gif Answering truthfully when asked isn't good enough.

That's a complete and utter misrepresentation. But that's what we've come to expect from the angry one.

So say they and all three of the other guys who pat each other on the back whenever one of them posts something saying that.

If you think I'm going to pat Brad's back with anything other than a 2-by-4, you've lost your 893censored-thumb.gifing mind! makepoint.gif

On the other hand, I WILL pat Nick's back, because he bought me a lot of bitters (mmm, warm flat English beer cloud9.gif) when I was in London.

Nick made you drink motor oil didn't he Tim !?!?! 893whatthe.giftongue.gif

Actually, I love the stuff. Bitters, I mean, not motor oil.

crazy.gif

Man, you guys in North America are all up early this morning!

Yes.. I actually think I'm the only one in Winnipeg that gets up at 4am everyday... foreheadslap.gif I will consider this Bitters you drink, I am half British so I should embrace the motherland ... headbang.gif . time to get ready to go to the office...

I will consider this Bitters you drink, I am half British so I should embrace the motherland ... headbang.gif .

If you ever do try it, just keep an open mind and ignore those thoughts that might immediately pop into you head like "lukewarm dishwater". It's, uh, a bit of an acquired taste. grin.gif

I will consider this Bitters you drink, I am half British so I should embrace the motherland ... headbang.gif .

If you ever do try it, just keep an open mind and ignore those thoughts that might immediately pop into you head like "lukewarm dishwater". It's, uh, a bit of an acquired taste. grin.gif

Which, with numerous pints under your belt, you had ample opportunity to 'acquire'. tongue.gif

Which, with numerous pints under your belt, you had ample opportunity to 'acquire'. tongue.gif

mmmmm... lukewarm dishwater... this sounds to good to be true cloud9.gif

but Nick... why would I put the beer under my belt.. have you discovered a new way to ingest this stuff tongue.gif

When we say "pressing", are we talking about flattening a comic under a stack of heavy books? Or is it "pressing" as in "pressing a pair of pants with a steam iron" or another similar device? (Which is presumably how the resto pros do it...) Sorry for my ignorance...I did a (quick) search and couldn't find the answer, but I assume it's one or the other, or some combination thereof.

I have no opinion on it either way. But the mental picture of some dude down in his basement, hovering over the family ironing board and pressing folds and creases out of his old comic books, is just kinda...pathetic, ain't it?

Then again, I've wasted my fair share time on other similarly silly sh*t, so I guess it's all relative...

When we say "pressing", are we talking about flattening a comic under a stack of heavy books? Or is it "pressing" as in "pressing a pair of pants with a steam iron" or another similar device? (Which is presumably how the resto pros do it...) Sorry for my ignorance...I did a (quick) search and couldn't find the answer, but I assume it's one or the other, or some combination thereof.

I have no opinion on it either way. But the mental picture of some dude down in his basement, hovering over the family ironing board and pressing folds and creases out of his old comic books, is just kinda...pathetic, ain't it?

Then again, I've wasted my fair share time on other similarly silly sh*t, so I guess it's all relative...

I don't recommend a "steam" iron gossip.gif

Hmmm...yeah. Moisture = bad I guess. But I assume some heat needs to be involved...

Hmmm...yeah. Moisture = bad I guess. But I assume some heat needs to be involved...

Heat can be your friend thumbsup2.gif

Its a poor example because I do not believe a pressing job that would be undetectable with a naked eye would get a subscription crease out. If you had sent one in with little spider creases down the side, that would be different.

That being said, the circular argument comes full circle as what we think is retoration on the book is moot, because CGC doesn't view pressing as restoration. Whatever we say here until our heads explode doesn't change that fact. Will the book come back as a blue label? Probably. Should the seller say "it was pressed"? Sure, but that statement and whether the book gets a blue label are two different and distinct things.

Is the "discussion" that a pressed book should be labeled as restored? That horse is dead. That's not going to happen.

It depends on whether the subscription crease breaks color. If it does, you can make it flatter, but the color loss will still be there. If it does not break color (in other words, if there is a subscription fold with no breaks/cracks in the ink layers), then you can usually remove it completely and anyone else looking at the book will never know it was there.

This is true thumbsup2.gif... I think many people who have never vested the time and energy into trying it are going on a lot of hear-say and not getting the results for themselves.

Yep. And every time I read a post where someone talks about "pancaked spines" and "thousands of pounds per square inch" I have to ask myself, "Where have you been all this time?" It's amazing how willfully ignorant some people are, despite what has been explained to them over and over.

Kind of like those people who say the NOD is just about pressing and that the NOD's stance is that pressing is bad. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, I imagine that is pretty annoying too.

Yes, kinda like all those folks that say "why won't you disclose? Why should I have to ask?"

Kinda, but that lot is in a class by themselves on the annoying scale. They are the "Burger King Collectors" -- they don't just want disclosure; they want it "their way," and ONLY their way. screwy.gif Answering truthfully when asked isn't good enough. If that's all you're willing to do, you're a good-for-nothing, scum-sucking thief. So say they and all three of the other guys who pat each other on the back whenever one of them posts something saying that.

I'd be more than happy to give you a "pat on the back" Scott...

patontheback2.gif

Its a poor example because I do not believe a pressing job that would be undetectable with a naked eye would get a subscription crease out. If you had sent one in with little spider creases down the side, that would be different.

That being said, the circular argument comes full circle as what we think is retoration on the book is moot, because CGC doesn't view pressing as restoration. Whatever we say here until our heads explode doesn't change that fact. Will the book come back as a blue label? Probably. Should the seller say "it was pressed"? Sure, but that statement and whether the book gets a blue label are two different and distinct things.

Is the "discussion" that a pressed book should be labeled as restored? That horse is dead. That's not going to happen.

It depends on whether the subscription crease breaks color. If it does, you can make it flatter, but the color loss will still be there. If it does not break color (in other words, if there is a subscription fold with no breaks/cracks in the ink layers), then you can usually remove it completely and anyone else looking at the book will never know it was there.

This is true thumbsup2.gif... I think many people who have never vested the time and energy into trying it are going on a lot of hear-say and not getting the results for themselves.

Yep. And every time I read a post where someone talks about "pancaked spines" and "thousands of pounds per square inch" I have to ask myself, "Where have you been all this time?" It's amazing how willfully ignorant some people are, despite what has been explained to them over and over.

Kind of like those people who say the NOD is just about pressing and that the NOD's stance is that pressing is bad. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, I imagine that is pretty annoying too.

Yes, kinda like all those folks that say "why won't you disclose? Why should I have to ask?"

Yes, kind of like customers and potential customers expressing what they'd like to see from a seller, only to be shunned as an insignificant minority and labeled as "annoying".

If that's all you're willing to do, you're a good-for-nothing, scum-sucking thief. So say they and all three of the other guys who pat each other on the back whenever one of them posts something saying that.

yeahok.gif

You can't do it, can you? You simply cannot have a discussion/debate without resorting to sweeping generalisation, inflamatory remarks, snide personal attacks, gross exaggerations and all-round pissyness.

If you weren't so shrill and strident, maybe more people would listen? Rather than getting right up peoples' noses, you might be able to educate them instead. confused-smiley-013.gif

Just a stupid 893censored-thumb.gif thought...

No he can't do it.

For some reason, I get this kind of picture in my head when I hear Scott speaking to ALL of us from his perched mountain top...

mosesheston.jpg

For some reason, I get this kind of picture in my head when I hear Scott speaking to ALL of us from his perched mountain top...

mosesheston.jpg

Now wait a minute. I dig Moses, and Heston. sumo.gif

mosesheston.jpg

I do too, so maybe I should have put a disclaimer stating "no offense to Charlton Heston or Moses". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

mosesheston.jpg

I do too, so maybe I should have put a disclaimer stating "no offense to Charlton Heston or Moses". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe more appropriate

gantry.jpg

If that's all you're willing to do, you're a good-for-nothing, scum-sucking thief. So say they and all three of the other guys who pat each other on the back whenever one of them posts something saying that.

yeahok.gif

You can't do it, can you? You simply cannot have a discussion/debate without resorting to sweeping generalisation, inflamatory remarks, snide personal attacks, gross exaggerations and all-round pissyness.

If you weren't so shrill and strident, maybe more people would listen? Rather than getting right up peoples' noses, you might be able to educate them instead. confused-smiley-013.gif

Just a stupid 893censored-thumb.gif thought...

No he can't do it.

mosesheston.jpg

I think Scott sees himself as higher than Moses. hail.gif