• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone post a pic of a framed cover w/book too?

27 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready to go and possibly have an OA cover of mine framed and I'm thinking of having a copy of the book put in the frame next to the OA.

Does anyone have any experience with getting this done? I'd like to see pics if possible and would appreciate any advice on what kind of materials I should have them use. I'm probably going to Hobby Lobby if anyone is familiar with them.

Thanks, John

I'm getting ready to go and possibly have an OA cover of mine framed and I'm thinking of having a copy of the book put in the frame next to the OA.

Does anyone have any experience with getting this done? I'd like to see pics if possible and would appreciate any advice on what kind of materials I should have them use. I'm probably going to Hobby Lobby if anyone is familiar with them.

Thanks, John

Not exactly what you're looking for, but here's a picture of one of my pages, framed with the printed page and the cover...Double matted and be sure to use archival materials.

xmenfullart.jpg

Here's one that Gene Colan is selling. I was thinking about doing the same thing and the gallery recommended my art and book be framed separately with the frames and matting complimenting each other.

1764685-thor2.jpg

1764685-thor2.jpg.9fdc9fa5318203880dcec6e5a8b2534e.jpg

Thanks, John

Not exactly what you're looking for, but here's a picture of one of my pages, framed with the printed page and the cover...Double matted and be sure to use archival materials.

xmenfullart.jpg

893whatthe.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

So, do they frame the book raw, or do you have it framed in mylar? How do they secure the pieces? Probaly stupid questions, but I'm ignorant on the subject crazy.gif

A reputable art gallery with framing services uses archival materials like acid free matting and TRU-VUE or other brand of UV resistant glass. My last custom framing ran 400 for a large piece of OA. But worth it for the protection.

The pieces are secured to the mat with archival tape or with a japanese corner, which doesn't require any tape. For that one, I actually removed the cover from the book, so it's only the cover. (Since I removed the page anyway). So, it's the OA, the single page, and the cover. No mylar or any other protection in the frame, which is why you want to pony up for the UV resistant glass.

So, do they frame the book raw, or do you have it framed in mylar? How do they secure the pieces? Probaly stupid questions, but I'm ignorant on the subject crazy.gif

A reputable art gallery with framing services uses archival materials like acid free matting and TRU-VUE or other brand of UV resistant glass. My last custom framing ran 400 for a large piece of OA. But worth it for the protection.

Well, I dropped it off today. Everything they use is acid free and she swapped out the glass in the frame I bought with UV protected glass. Cost was really surprising...$58 plus tax. They were having a 50% off custom frames special, so that helped as well. In fact, I went ahead and had another page framed, an Australian Daybill movie poster, and two large family portraits. Total was like $185 plus tax for all of it.

I'll post the results in a couple weeks when I get them back.

One thing I did do differently than the examples I've seen posted was that the matting will border the actual art box...meaning, it covers the border of the art sheet. I debated with myself about it and decided these pieces looked sharper that way.

My cover was a difficult one. It has a clear plastic piece attached with crappy brown masking tape at the top which has a stat attached to it. I actually thought about pulling it off, but I'd lose the stat (which was only one word). I went ahead and left the plastic on there, but did decide on covering the tape with the matting. I think it will look much better this way.

I went ahead and did the same with my page, even though it's border had no real distracting features. I guess I wanted to be consistent.

Is that a bad idea, or is it all personal preference on these?

personally, looking at the same picture twice is overkill and detracts from the art. i don't mind a cover when it's next to an interior page though. and, it takes up less room on the wall as your collection grows and space becomes valuable.

I've seen that guys pics before and that's just incredible!

It looks like most of the framed art I'm seeing has the matting border the very edges of the piece rather than just arounf the artwork. Part of me is second guessing myself, but here is the process I went through...

First pic here is the one that was displayed on the dealers website and the one I saw to purchase it:

ShogunWarriors17cvr.jpg

Next is the piece how it actually appears:

ShogunWarriors17cvr2.jpg

Note the crappy brown masking tape along the top. It appears to be securing a clear piece of plastic that extends down almost to the halfway point. This plastic piece has the stat with the word "WRONG" attached to it. There is full artwork underneath and I was half tempted to pull it off. I really didn't know what to do on it. I finally made the choice to leave it as is, but have the matting border the artwork box, thus covering the brown tape.

Any thoughts? What would you guys have done here? I guess I could always change it as well. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think you framed it the right way; I wouldn't want to see the brown tape either. It's all a matter of personal preference, since you're the one that's going to see the art most often.

I didn't frame right to the art because several of my pieces are signed, and I wanted to be able to see the signatures.

I think you framed it the right way; I wouldn't want to see the brown tape either. It's all a matter of personal preference, since you're the one that's going to see the art most often.

I didn't frame right to the art because several of my pieces are signed, and I wanted to be able to see the signatures.

Speaking of being signed...Herb Trimpe will be here in KC on the 5th and 6th for a convention. Maybe I should have him sign somewhere. Thinking of the Gene Colan piece.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm with Jeff on this one. I'd frame it just as you did. The tape would detract from the frame and matting. If you're going to spend the dough on a nice display, why not make it look as good as possible?

I can't wait to see the pics when it gets back! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks, John

Here's a shot of 1 of the walls in my store.On the left and right side I have 2 covers framed up with the actual books.They are both triple matted.Cost about $125-$150 when I had them done a few years ago. Joey

998YB93BARR.jpg

Ok, here's some pics of the pieces I had framed...

Shogun Warriors #17 cover with book:

comicpics003.jpg

comicpics002.jpg

Shogun Warriors issue #15 pg.14:

comicpics006.jpg

comicpics005.jpg

Marvel litho limited o 500 that I got at Universal Islands of Adventure:

comicpics004.jpg

Thanks to my wife for allowing me to let these creep out of my collectibles room and into our hallway. The cover is to the left of my CR door, the page to the right, and the litho above the door.